Breastfeeding is NOT the fat burner they said it would be!

BrittasticTX

Reaction score
My 5 1/2 month old is EBF and I haven't lost an OUNCE since he was about 4 weeks old. I actually gained close to 10 pounds through the holidays, and now I'm only about 15 pounds down from the weight I was when I went in to have him! Everyone said that the weight would just "melt off" while I was breastfeeding but that is NOT TRUE!!:dohh:

I had an appointment with my doc a couple of days ago, where he *very politely* told me to stop being a McFatty! He says that between 1800-2000 (healthy) calories a day should help me lose some weight, while not effecting my milk supply. So, I am cutting the calories, and I've started walking on the treadmill during LO's naps. He isn't a great sleeper, and my excuse for not exercising has been that I am just so exhausted from being up all night every night.... but I'm probably also exhausted from not getting any activity in my day!

Looking for some buddies in the same boat so we can motivate each other!

I'm 5'7" and this morning weighed in at 186.6
Short term goals are 180 (pre-preggo weight)
160 (last weight I was at that felt GOOD!)
and ultimately 140 (weight when I got married!)

I actually put on weight bf ! Yup! After 6 Weeks PP I stayed the same and then after 8 months I put on til we weaned at just shy of 13 months.
I am also 5f7 and weighed 13st8 in Nov and 12s10 last night.
X

It was the same for me, nothing ''melted'' at all. I also gained some weight between 2 and 4 months pp when I decided to put a stop to it.

To maintain your current weight, you need to be eating 1800 cals per day + 500 for EBF so 2300. To lose 1 lb a week, you need a 3500 cal deficit/500 a day. That would put you at 1800 cals to lose 1 lb a week. I think that's a healthy goal while you're BFing.

I know how hard it is to exercise when you're exhausted :nope: If you can find the time though, you'll definitely feel better for it. I have more energy now.

I actually reached my weight loss goal so not in the same boat anymore but just wanted to let you know you won't regret sticking to it! Good luck

Yeah, I hardly lost any either. I gained more than 80lbs while pregnant though...lost 25 at the hospital and like 6lbs since.....I stopped breastfeeding last month too. I've heard if you bf for 6 months it really starts to fall off after that but I call bs, lol.

I didn't lose weight breastfeeding either, in fact I put it on. It was only when I started a healthy diet and exercise that the weight started coming off. It wasn't the 'fat melter' I was told it would be!

Yep im hearing ya!! After i lost some fluid, as far as actual 'fat' i lost NONE while BF!! In fact my hunger and cravings were through the roof. More so than when i was preggers.

Only since i have stopped BF have i managed to start losing weight.

Its bloody not fair is it! I plan to BF my future babies as well but it sucks that i am also one of the unlucky ones that can't shed any kilos while BF.

Didn't help that I used pg then bf to eat anything and everything! Lol.
Next time I will not be putting on 4st when pg!
X

I haven't bucked up and stepped on the scale to see what it is, nor do I know what I weighed when I had LO. I'm 8 weeks pp and deciding it's time to actually start watching what I eat and exercising. The excuse I've been using is that I don't want to cut too many calories that I affect my milk supply. I appreciate the info about calories and breastfeeding!

What about exercise--can that affect supply?

Strenuous exercise can, but just make sure you stay hydrated! I am just now starting to get more than a few hours of sleep a night, so I am *planning* to fit some exercise into my day! ;) I am in the same boat with the hunger and cravings, I feel like I am STARVING ALL THE TIME!! We cut out most of the sweets and junk food about a month ago, and I actually GAINED weight!! Grrrr...
I read somewhere that the real weight loss while breast feeding is from 3-6 months, but my little stinker will be 6 months on the 16th and I haven't lost an ounce!
My doctor also recommended about 1800 calories, but man, I just don't have the motivation to start counting calories, its time consuming!

If you want to count cals my fitness pal is great.
I do slimming world which is fantastic and its basically just healthy eating and recommended while pregnant or bf you just had an extra healthy extra apparently.
Eat plenty of lean meat fish, n carbs but make sure 1/3 rd of your meal is super low Cal fruit or veg.
Limits bread cereal dairy to one portion of each per day (healthy extras).
Treats and extra like butter, gravy etc are limited by using syn values.
It basically limits your calorie intake without counting.
I always noticed if I didn't eat much or exercised lots then the next day my milk production was a little less.
Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->