Breastfeeding Issues

Sweetpea7830

Reaction score
I have a 29 weeker who is now almost 13 weeks old. He came home about 7 weeks ago and is about 2 weeks post due date. I pumped and gave him breast milk during his stay in the NICU. Since he's been home, I've been trying to get him on breast with mixed results. He has reflux and is on meds for that but it causes him to arch and fuss with feeding. He feeds well sometimes and not as well others, but the main issue I am having is that no matter how well he feeds, he only goes about 2 hours between feedings. It is draining me and wearing me out completely. I don't want to stop bfeeding but I am getting worn down and I hear they sleep longer with formula. Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on how to encourage him to start stretching it out. 13 weeks of minimal sleep (6 while he was in the hospital and we were there nonstop and now 7 of feeding every 1-2 hours) are taking their toll and it's affecting my supply as well. :sleep:

Hey congrats on the baby first off :)

Now as for BF a premiee its normal for him to go 2 hrs between feeds they do that full term too ..it will take 6 -10 weeks to get your supply established dont give up hun ! if you can pump then get some out and feed him so you can have a break ..

Feeding him formula may or may not help him sleep longer as hes got reflux , my son had that until 9 months old ..I found the best way to BF a baby with reflux is lying down on your side with him ..other then that im sorry cant offer more advice ..hopefully the other ladies can help

Hey congrats on the baby first off :)

Now as for BF a premiee its normal for him to go 2 hrs between feeds they do that full term too ..it will take 6 -10 weeks to get your supply established dont give up hun ! if you can pump then get some out and feed him so you can have a break ..

Feeding him formula may or may not help him sleep longer as hes got reflux , my son had that until 9 months old ..I found the best way to BF a baby with reflux is lying down on your side with him ..other then that im sorry cant offer more advice ..hopefully the other ladies can help

thanks! he is now almost 13 weeks so we are beyond the supply establishing point - i have been pumping 8x/day since he was born. i hope he grows to where he can go at least 3 hours soon. by the time i feed him (30 mins), change his diaper (10 minutes), and get him settled back down (5-20 mins), it is almost time to start feeding all over again. I am finding I am getting 1 hour sleep at a time, max, and it is draining!! i am trying not to give up but dang it is hard!

thanks for the side tip - i have never heard of this, can you describe the position? thanks!!

Heya! My little girl was born 32+5, And she's a corrected age 2 months. I stopped breastfeeding mid february because of supply issues, but at this point she is still eating 3 oz a feed, about every 2 hours with formula, so I'm not sure if starting to supplement would help. She also had bad reflux until I started her on a different formula meant for babies with digestive issues.
Hope this helps, even a little. And I hope you start getting some sleep soon.

Heya! My little girl was born 32+5, And she's a corrected age 2 months. I stopped breastfeeding mid february because of supply issues, but at this point she is still eating 3 oz a feed, about every 2 hours with formula, so I'm not sure if starting to supplement would help. She also had bad reflux until I started her on a different formula meant for babies with digestive issues.
Hope this helps, even a little. And I hope you start getting some sleep soon.

Thanks! That is a help to know that I am not alone in this but also that it may just be a preemie issue and not a BF issue. Thank you!

hi im also starting to have similar issues sweetpea, Matthew born at 33+4 4 weeks ago takes EMB and trying to establish BF again if BF needs to feed every 1.5-2 hours (3-4 hours if taking EBM via bottle) I feel my supply affected as often after a good 30 min BF he still looks for a 'top up' from bottle. Been reading that it may not be production slowing down but my body more atuned to his needs, I came home from hosp with lots of frozen milk but have just abour used up all my supply - feel like I will need to have him permanantly latched to keep him in milk lol.

Matthew's weight is not increasing as much as health visitor would like and he has to be weighed more than once a week, shes advised to feed him as often as I can, esp if he still looks for it after a feed, so feel that hes taking a full 2oz after BF which affecting my supply, going to try and go to a BF support group see if I can get more help as not ovely confident he is strong enough to draw enough milk on his own and tend to give him EBM soon after.♥

Hi my 2 yo was a 26 weeker and had a bad reflux if your son is on domperidone or simular he will feed more as the body digests the food quicker so i was told by my consultant, it does get better hun it did with jack and he bf ubtil he was 11 months .
Good luck xx

Thanks all! He is spacing out his feedings more but still having trouble BF. He will eat anywhere from 2.5-4.5 oz EBM but will only BF for 5-10 mins, then fusses like crazy and is looking for a 1-1.5 oz top off from a bottle. He would be happy to bottle feed 100% but I am going crazy pumping and then feeding, it takes forever and it's not the ideal situation for either of us...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->