breastfeeding loses weight?

jeegee

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was told that if you breastfeed your baby, you'll get back to shape faster. I am wondering if any of you can testify how true is that study please?

Looking forward to hear your stories. :kiss:

Well, one of my best friends has been constantly telling me how the weight is like dropping off. And she's hungrier now, than when she was while pregnant. She was below her pre-pregnancy about 2 weeks after having her little girl! I don't think losing weight like that is TOO common, but I have heard lots of women talk about losing weight quickly while BF'ing. My friend doesn't restrict food, but she is pretty health conscious (eats 5-6x a day and a lot of whole grain, fruit, chicken....). :)

I'm EBF and have been losing weight without doing anything. I have a little over 10 lbs to lose before I'm back at my pre-pregnancy weight. So I would say BFing helps you lose weight faster but it's still going to take time.

I struggle to keep weight on while breastfeeding, and I'm eating constantly!

I didn't breast feed my first but this time I am and I have certainly noticed my tummy has gone down much quicker this time! I am much more hungry though! I def think breast feeding helps with weight x

Ive lost weight really well so far without doing anything breastfeeding! Ive lost 5lbs in a week x

I put on 3.5 stones while pregnant and lost all apart from 6 pounds by 16 days after birth. This was expressing breast milk. I was storing a lot of water, but the weight literally fell off.

The last 6 pounds however are a right bitch!!!

I put on 30lb during my pregnancy and lost it all (plus a couple more) within two weeks. Two thumbs up for breastfeeding!

Breastmilk averages about 20 calories per ounce, so if the average mother produces about 30 ounces a day, that's 600 extra calories leaving her body every day. That means she'd have to eat 600 calories more than she normally would to maintain her weight.

If you don't eat those extra calories, you will lose weight.

I produce about 50 ounces a day, so I use 1000 calories a day making milk. By 2 weeks postpartum, I had lost all 27 pounds I had gained during pregnancy, plus 5 more. Now, I eat like a horse, so I basically maintain my weight :) If I wanted to start losing again, I'd just cut down on the calories I take in, or add activity to burn more calories.

I lost a lot to begin with and was back in pre pregnancy clothes within two weeks, but I'm still 10lb heavier than I was before I got pregnant. It does come off but not quickly, in my experience.

Xx

Was the case for me. I had been both breast feeding and expressing and have lost all the baby weight within ten weeks. I'm now even below pre-pregnancy weight.

I gained 60lb during my pregnancy and am EBF. Today at my check up I have lost 50lb. My pre-pregnancy jeans fit and I feel great. So although it doesn't all come off at once I haven't struggled to loose any as I have given myself until 6 months postpartum to get rid of all baby weight.

As a PP said, your body uses/burns calories to produce BM, so as long as you eating healthy, chances are you will lose weight. I sure did. But I have also heard from women who haven't had it help them lose any weight, so don't necessarily count on it!

Not true for me! I am still EBF and although I have lost 2 stone (I put on 2 stone 10 pounds), I am still trying to shift the last 10lbs. I've been told that for some women, the last few pounds won't come off until I actually stop as you need fat reserves to breastfeed. I don't know how true this is but I really would like it to go right now! I really though the weight would melt off me but I am still more "rounded" than I was. I am not over weight but I would like to get back to me!

It was true for me. I gained 42 pounds during my pregnancy and lost it all and then 5 more pounds within 2.5 weeks after birth. I was shocked! (But so happy!) I'm sure I could continue to lose weight with the breastfeeding, but unfortunately I use it as an excuse to eat more treats like ice cream and milk shakes :)

I only ever gained weight. I still breastfeed havnt stopped so maybe I will have luck this next time but I doubt it. Some woman apparently retain the weight. I put on a few stone from having kids.

I was back to pre-pregnancy weight and in my skinny jeans a week after giving birth but I think that's more luck and genetics than BF. But I am way more hungry than I was when pregnant and eating lots of carbs and chocolate yet have still lost more weight, all my trousers keep falling down!

I have a two week and two day old baby and am ebf. I was below my pre pregnancy weight in under two weeks and gained 26 in total during the pregnancy. So for me it's worked and I'm hungry all the time.

I was back to pre-preg weight within three months (I'm 37, and put on 35 pounds during pregnancy).

Now, at nine months PP I'm about four kilos lighter than pre-preg. I eat a huge amount, though it's mostly healthy, home-cooked stuff. If I keep losing weight like this for much longer, I will be underweight (less than 18.5 BMI). Not really sure what to do. More junk food? :haha:

Yup. :)

I've lost over 10lb in 3 weeks and I'm eating like a pig!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->