Breastfeeding on Zoloft

mhk425

Reaction score
I also posted in the postnatal support forum but thought I might get some advice here.

Wondering if any of you ladies have experience taking Zoloft while breastfeeding. My baby is 12 days old, and I'm suffering from postpartum depression. (My OB's nurse practitioner, who I saw yesterday, said it was "baby blues bordering on PPD.") She prescribed 50mg of Zoloft and said it was fine to take while breastfeeding. However, from what I've been reading, the long-term effects really aren't known, and small amounts do show up in breast milk. In addition to PPD, I do have a history of anxiety for which I was medicated in the past, so of course I'm worried about the "what ifs" of taking Zoloft while breastfeeding. I should mention that I have low supply to begin with--I basically only get milk from pumping, and I get about 8 ounces total a day; the rest is supplemented with formula...so I have been trying to decide if breastfeeding is worth the stress/hassle in general. I'm just so torn about what to do. I know that any amount of breast milk is better than none in general. I also know that with DH going back to work on Monday, I may not be able to handle the pumping and bottle feeding schedule. My LC, of course, said that the benefits of breastfeeding outweigh any potential risks of Zoloft. I'm just SO confused about what to do. I know I can't go on like this. I still haven't bonded with my baby, I cry every day, and I'm just not feeling right. What do I do??

Sorry you are going through a tough time. I had PND/anxiety after my first and was prescribed zoloft. My son was exclusively BF and we have not have any issues related to me taking zoloft. I looked at the risks/benefits of it and realised I wasn't able to be a good mum and function until I got some help so it was right for me at the time. I was still on it with my 2nd who was also exclusively BF. I was taking it when pregnant with my 2nd too and only stopped taking it when he was about 20 months (and still feeding) so he has the most exposure but is a super happy healthy boy so I have no doubts it was the right thing for me.

Maybe don't make a decision about if you will keep BFing until you start feeling a bit better if you do decide to take the medication. You may feel less stressed about it once you are back to your normal self.

Just want to send you many hugs. I have suffered from major depression the past five years, although I have not had any since getting pregnant. My depressions may have been partially related to fertility issues. Anyway I have not had to take any antidepressants since getting pregnant but hope you find that Zoloft helps you. That is a very hard decision. One day of depression is so long but I'm sure you know that it will not last. Sending you big, huge hugs and feel free to PM me if you would like.

I began taking Zoloft during my second trimester with my son and stayed on for about a month after he was born. I EBF and we had no problems with it at all. I can say that the first couple weeks on Zoloft heightened my anxiety (which is common, normal, and expected as your body gets adjusted to it) but once it was in my system I felt so much better! It let me feel like myself again. I say, if your depression is preventing you from being the best mom you can for your child then really consider the Zoloft! I went through this when I was pregnant, I stopped eating and refused to get out of bed to even shower. I decided at that point the benefit outweighed the risk.

I am currently bfing while taking 100 mg Zoloft. 50 mg that you are taking is a really small dose. Plus, Zoloft is a class L2 drug, so I am okay with it. I understand what it feels like to be worried about it, though. I was worried about taking it during pregnancy so I stopped, but with PPD it's just not an option...anyways, I think Zoloft is one of the safer ones out there for bfing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->