Breastfeeding or not?

I wasn't sure if BFing was for me because I had no family support. I committed to trying it, and I loved it. We hit some issues at 4 months and she self-weaned. I was very upset about it, but moved on.

I'm more committed to the idea for #2. I'll fight to keep BFing this time.

from the moment I found out I was pregnant I decided I was going to breastfeed and she's now 14 months and on a mix of cows milk and still breastfeeding :) I absolutely love it xx

I planned on breastfeeding, but I just wasn't making enough milk to suit Isiah.
So I put him on fresh, raw goat milk. I can't stand the idea of putting something so foreign into my son's body, especially something that is chock full of GMOs and has recalls all the time :( The recall part is what really, really scares me. Last time I checked the recall was for metal shavings in the formula! Uh-uh!
To each their own, though.

Breastfed all three of mine, still feeding my third. Always knew I would though.

I breastfed until 12 months. I will breastfeed every child but I hope I can go for longer with the next, I miss it and wish I didn't choose to give it up at 12 months with Oaks.

I'd highly recommend it to you all, girls. If its not for you, fair play but those who are thinking about it, DO IT! :D it is hard at the beginning, not going to lie, but its so worth getting through it all. The closeness you feel is amazing, I miss that.

We had bad latch at the beginning which made my nipples so sore, then I got mastitis in the first month and hated feeding with that breast but the more I fed with it the better it got and the infection cleared in no time. It was all easy from that point on.

Also, if you don't agree with what any advice Breastfeeding consultant or midwife gives you then don't take it, go with your instinct. I had no clue about Breastfeeding but I did what felt right and used both breasts per feed even though i was told not to, otherwise I'd have one sore engorged one and one relieved one until the next feed. :haha:

Good luck to you mummies who plan on BF :flower:

Also, you burn around 500 calories per day Breastfeeding ;) I was below my pre pregnancy weight by 9 months pp just from Breastfeeding alone - had only just started to exercise by this point!

Soon as i fount out i decided i'd try to breastfeed, cheaper, better for the baby & also it burns calories! Just hope it goes to plan, see what baby thinks when he/she's here :) xxx

I breast feed and its amazing! I went back to school when Isabella was 11 weeks so I did a combination of breast feeding, expressing and formula.

It's very hard, I'm not gonna lie. I went through hell in the beginning. Bleeding nipples and engorgement and my little one wouldn't feed after a few days. Had the midwife over for THREE hours til she latched after 14 hors without a feed! I then had thrush 5 times and mastitis twice!

The benefits: it's a bond no one else can have with your LO, it's free, easy, always there, no sterilisation needed or cost of bottles etc, milk changes as your baby changes and as their needs change e.g. gets more watery on hot days etc! It helps protect your baby during the early days from infections due to the antibodies passed on (well it protects them the whole time you feed), it's the right temperature. Statistics shows bf babies are less likely to get diabetes, be obese or have allergies and that bf babies are less fussy as milk changes in taste depending on what you eat so they're subjected to different tastes from day one. And for you, it reduces you chance of breast, ovarian and cervical cancer! Can also help lose pregnancy weight and helps your uterus contract back into place :) Its basically liquid gold!

As you can see I'm a massive breast feeding advocate! But it really is the best.for you and your baby! That being said formula is a great alternative if you cannot breast feed or choose not to! I've used it myself. It's helpful in the car too when it's very difficult to bf!! :)

Good luck hun, commit yourself and you can do it! It's hard to begin with but battle through it and you'll wonder why you were struggling when you look back!

I still breastfeed my 15 month old son and hope to get to 2, and longer if we are both comfortable with it :) I'm also 14 weeks pregnant with #2 and plan to do the same. I can't wait to experience tandem nursing. :flow:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->