Breastfeeding question

Bec L

Proud mum to 2 girls/1boy
Reaction score
My health visitor told me today that I need to introuduce my daughter to a bottle by the time she is 4 weeks old so that she gets used to feeding from one (she is 3 weeks old now, but was 6 weeks premature). I breastfeed her exclusively at the moment and have no plans to express/top her up with a bottle, or for my husband to get up for night feeds. But the H/V said that if I don't introduce her to one bottle feed day (using my milk) then she will never take to one later on. Has anyone else been given this advice??

Thanks

Yes, there is some truth to that. It wouldn't hurt to 'introduce' a bottle at 4-6 weeks so it isn't foreign.

Now, by the time their 6 months, they can learn to take a sippy cup, so if you don't foresee any issues for LO to need a bottle prior to then, I wouldn't worry about it. She can always have dinner in her sippy cup :)

My LO is exclusively breastfed, and I did introduce a bottle around that time so it wasn't foreign, and in case gramma needed to watch her longer than I expected. She's probably had a bottle less than 10 times her whole life, she's not opposed to it if her meal is offered in it. I do also offer her a pacifier (I gave around the same time ... 4-6 weeks old).

Totally up to you though, if you don't want to offer a bottle - don't! :)
:hug:

My health visitor tried various times to get me to express some milk so I could have a break and let my family help me. I didnt want to because I am happy totally breastfeeding. Her reply was well as long as you are happy breastfeeding him until he is 1 year old thats ok. I plan to do this anyway. As far as Im concerned and from what ive seen with previous babies born in our family (most of them breastfed from birth until 4 weeks or 4 months) A baby will get used to bottles one way or the other. When you want to stop breastfeeding, you cant just stop straight away anyway, you just start introducing some bottles gradually. Im sure it wont be a problem so Im not worrying about it should I want to or have to give him bottles

I didn't give my son a bottle till well after that 'window' and he will take a bottle. I really think it is down to the baby. I have several friends who have a baby the same age, and they started introducing the bottle at that time and had no luck at all. One friend bought just about every bottle on the market trying to find one her daughter would take, and had a really hard time. I bought one bottle, and waited till he was 8-10 weeks, and he sucked the milk down like nobody's business.

I've never heard this :D It makes sense though... my sister in law had a really hard time giving her kids bottles, and always turned to me to give them.... as they didn't associate me with boob..... she always waited til they were about 3 months old, so this would explain why they took ages to take to a bottle. :hug:

i must admit i wont allow a bottle to be introduced untill after 6 weeks in my own mind breast feeding is well established then. ive been lucky with 4 of mine they have all accepted a bottle for a emergancy/ one off feeds when needed, only one of mine would not touch a bottle.

Dont do it if you arnt comfortable with it! If you have no intention of letting anyone else feed her anyways then I dont see the point..

I think it is handy to be able to let someone help you once in awhile... but again... your choice!

I was told 6 weeks is best as earlier may cause nipple confusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->