Breastfeeding Struggle

happyface82

Reaction score
Having a really bad day. Just need some reassurance really. I have a 12 day old. Exclusive breastfeeding. Started off really well. She is putting on weight nicely so paed told us not to wake her for feeds.

She usually goes straight from 1am to 7am then has a quick feed and goes down again until 11am then again has a nice long stretch. She is always alert early evening/ late evening and has more frequent feeds in that time frame. Maybe every 1,5 hours.

It's nice as we are getting lots of sleep (never had that with my other 2) but my breasts are killing me for half a day. Result was I got mastitis. Feeling horrendous right now and was told to take antibiotics.

Will my milk supply get used to her schedule or should I wake her up more often to get some feeds in the night time and morning? I tried that earlier today but she didn't drink much.

Any advice us more than appreciated. I know it will pass but right now I'm feeling miserable.

Thank you!

Oh I’m so sorry!
Yes, your supply will regulate. Engorgement for me was awful at first. I had my nursing toddler help out cause it was unbearable.
I have kicked mastitis 5 times with high-dose vitamin C and zinc (NEVER take on an empty stomach!). High-dose like 2g twice a day. hugs.

Sounds really hard! Hugs.
I wouldn't wake for feeds but squeeze a little milk every 2-3 hours just until the breast feels comfortable. This won't stimulate your brain to up the supply as much as her suckling would. Cold pads and cabbage leaves also help.
Get well soon!

I've never had mastitis but I know it can truly be painful. Over the years I've seen women hand Express to help with it. If you have a pump that might also work in between feeds. I also have heard that using a hot compress might help over the breast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->