breastfeeding...

Mummy_to_be87

Reaction score
I was wondering if I am planning on breastfeeding my LO until toddler age without using bottles do I still need to buy some in?

My mum suggested bringing in a few bottles and some formula milk ''just incase'' its as if she doesnt believe I can breastfeed my LO but it also got me thinking that I might be safer buying some...but then if I dont use them its a waste of money that I could be using for more essential items.

Any help and advice would be grately appreciated!

:flower:

I ve baught a breast pump and steriliser and there were some bottles included, so im using them as my just incase things, havent baught any milk though

Nope. I haven't bought any 'just incase' bottles this time. Its not as if you'll never go shopping again and the chances are if BF isn't going well, you'll have plenty of time to go buy some supplies. a baby isn't going to starve to death in 1 night.

So I should stick to my instincts and keep my confidence in breastfeeding and do what feels right for me? :) Im new to all this so Im really unsure what Im meant to be buying and if Im buying things I dont need etc :haha:

I personally wouldn't bother with all the bottles, etc. It just makes it easier for you to stop breastfeeding if you have any challenges (which is perfectly normal in the beginning; it's a learning curve for you both!). I didn't buy any "backups" until I was ready to start introducing bottles of breastmilk when my LO was several months old. That way I could have a bit more freedom and let others feed him. :) Like others have said too, if breastfeeding really doesn't work out, I'm sure you or someone else will be able to make a quick dash to the store to pick up some formula supplies. :)

I didn't buy anything last time and won't be doing so this time. Like Blah said if you do decide to formula feed you can always go out and get what you need.

I would probably have given up breastfeeding last time if I had stuff in the house for 'just in case'. There were a couple of times in the middle of the night and I was struggling where I would have given my life for a bottle but sooooooooooooooooooo glad I didn't give in!!! Breast feeding is just the best!!

xx

I'm going to buy a pump and it comes with a few bottles. Mostly because I want LO to be able to go to grandma's house when he's a few months old and know that he has plenty of milk and that I don't need to be there every couple hours.

Most women say that the number one reason they quit is because it was hard and they had formula and bottles in the house. You're a lot more likely to stick with it if you don't keep formula in the house but I dont see anything wrong if you have a pump and bottles.

I did because I needed to express when I went back to work so introduced a bottle of expressed milk early on to get her used to bottles. It worked for us. I also introduced a bottle of cows milk when she was 1 even though I was still BFing too.

I got nothing when I was pregnant with DD. She had a massive weight loss and needed to be topped up and combi fed to begin with. We managed to buy breast pump, formula, bottles and steriliser at the point at which we needed them. I'd say you should be fine not buying anything and waiting to see if you need it....unless you live in the middle of nowhere with no shops and no car, or some other factor that could prevent you getting to a shop.

I would get some bottles at the point of needing them, but unless you're not going out for 6 months without baby then you definately need some!!

I like to have those things on hand, 'just in case'. Not 'just in case' I can't breastfeed, but 'just in case' something weird happens and DH has baby without me and really needs to feed him... or 'just in case' I get sick and have to take some kind of medication that makes me need to "pump and dump" until the meds are out of my system... or 'just in case' we're caught somewhere and breastfeeding is almost impossible to pull off at the time. Worst case one of my older children could feed him in the backseat of the car, etc...

I just like knowing that I have a backup, and with both of my children I never had a problem switching between bottle and breast when needed. The thing is, if you're determined to breastfeed, you're determined to breastfeed. Although we had formula, with my first, she had a VERY hard time with breastfeeding....knowing we had formula didn't make me give up. It made me stress a little less knowing that there WAS food in the house for her in the meantime until we got it figured out.. but it never made me think "Ah well. I quit." We succeeded, but it took almost 2 weeks, really. I pumped, struggled with feedings, and supplemented with formula when my pumped milk didn't add up to enough. We still breastfed just fine once we finally got it all figured out.

I have one sealed backup can in my closet, and two bottles. ;) And I plan to breastfeed this baby until at least a year old.

I wouldn't buy any 'just incase' they sell milk and bottles all over the place so could easily nip and buy some very easily if you did need to

It's personal choice I think. I have bottles as I wanted a specific brand (Breastflow) that aren't sold everywhere but I won't be buying formula 'just in case' as I feel it would cause me to give in too easily if it was just there in the house and I was finding bfing difficult.

it depends if you want to completly stick to the breast, i never used bottles with my son and im glad i didnt because at the beginning its tough and i could of given in when i was tired and hes crying for the milk to kick in, this time i am buying bottles because with 3 children i need some help from oh so she will have to get used to taking the bottle of expressed milk from the start x

Personally i wouldn't. If the formula is there, you are more likely to use if if you are going through a rough patch, where as if its not then theres no other option if that makes sense (i don't mean that to sound harsh btw, i'm not against formula and if LO has to have it then he/she can)
Go with your instincts, and be sure to post in the breastfeeding section if you need to, i've not breastfed before but i do have a look in sometimes to get an idea of some issues i might face, to be prepared etc! I'm sure you will be fine xx

Hello

I had a couple of bottled witH my steriliser but no formula. One night, maybe nifght , I was so sore I begged hubby to go to 24 hour supermarket and buy forMula. He refused. I carried on and got past the pain. If I'd had formula in I'd have given her it at that point as it would have been muxh easier for me at that point. I wwont be getting any in this time either.

To be honest, if you have formula in the house on the terrible nights, if you're unlucky enough to have them, it's v hard not to give in.
Also, yes a pump is useful, esp if you need to express to top up with expressed milk but you don't need to use bottles. You can get feeding cups for newborns which work better and are more akin to breastfeeding in the action baby needs to have and also in the fact that they don't get 'forced' to have the milk like they do with bottles, which means bottle fed babies over feed and are overfed. If you use a cup for any extra breastmilk you give the baby at the start, then baby can progress to a normal cup by 6 months - we never needed bottles, mine always drank from a doidy cup from about 5 months (with help of course) and before that we managed with newborn cup or spoon feeding. This meant that her latch was never affected and she always demand fed.
Obviously if you need to leave the baby a lot in early days, then a bottle is helpful, but I would avoid a bottle in the first 6 weeks because nipple confusion is real!! Some women are lucky and manage to use a bottle and have no effect on the latch during breastfeeding, but it's far more common for use of a bottle during the first few weeks to mean its v difficult to get a comfortable and effective latch.

It's fab that you're intending to breastfeed long term, good luck!!

I wouldn't keep formula in the house. Might be too tempting in the middle of the night! I have a couple of bottles that were gifts and I have a pump. But I won't be attempting the bottle until he's at least a few months old.

We bought bottles, but only because I plan on starting to pump at some point (probably after about 3-4 weeks) so that hubby can feed baby, or if I have to go out and run errands or something, I can leave baby with hubby/grandma/grandpa/etc and he can still get a meal in if I happen to be running late or something.

Otherwise, I don't see the point in buying things "just in case" - it won't take long for you or someone else to go out and buy bottles/formula if you end up going that route.

im intending to BF but have got formula and bottles just incase

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->