Breastmilk not filling enough anymore?

pebbie1

Mum to Marielle & Markus
Reaction score
My 4 month old has been soooooo restless for the last few days and wants to eat every 2 hours. He drinks fine, but after 5 minutes he gets restless and starts to pull my nipples. He slept bad and was really grumpy.
So I gave him a little pack of ready milk, as my boobs just feel really empty and I was wondering if he could be hungry as he nearly jumps out of his bouncy seat when you eat.
He absolutely NECKED it and couldn't get it in quick enough. He then fell asleep and is completely out of it.....
Does this mean my milk is not filling him up anymore? He is normal weight but was very tall when born (57.5 cm) and very active, as in he wants to stand all day long.

Any advice, tips or experience is very welcome as I don't want him to be starving :(

Just sounds like a growth spurt Hun. We had this last week.

He's feeding that constantly to tell your boobs to make more milk. So supplementing will actually slow the process.

Yeah there's a growth spurt around 3-4 months. Also a wonder week around 4 months which might cause more wakings and clinginess.

I agree that it sounds like a growth spurt. Also, babies around this age are often easily distracted at the boob and will pop off or fuss if there's too much going on around them.

In any case, I would just keep offering the breast as often as he'll take it, and see if nursing him in a dark, quiet area helps. Don't be distressed by him eating so often - it's designed to increase your supply. If you start giving him other milk then your body won't know to make more and you can end up with a supply problem.

Agree with pp about growth spurts?

Just another thought tho, could ur af be returning? I was ebf and mine returned at 3 months :( my supply was really low just before it, dd was feeding every 2 hrs and very fussy.

It sounds like a growth spurt. Your milk is fine for your baby. If you give your baby other milk then this may affect your supply. Also the reason he drained the bottle so quickly would be because getting milk from a bottle is much easier than getting milk from the breast as there is a faster flow of milk. He has to work harder at the breast, this is why some babies choose the bottle in preference to the breast as it's easier and faster! The bad sleep could be due to the four month sleep regression.

You don't need to introduce anything new to your baby, he's totally fine on breastmilk until six months and is likely just having a growth spurt :)

My son did this from 4 months so I fed him every 2 hours, I was determined not to give him food before 6 months, he was a growing boy I guess it's normal their appetite increases but doesn't mean it has to be food to fill the void. So I made the tough decision to just increase how often I was feeding him, I was up every 2 hours and it was tough. But 6 months we introduced food and sure enough everything settled down, wouldn't change anything, he got to 20lb on my milk alone lol :) (baring in mind this was 3 years ago I'm sure I didn't feed every 2 hours for 2 months straight lol but I'm pretty sure I did through the night)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->