Breastpump advice...Looking at Medela but which one?

Eniala

Reaction score
I am a first time mom looking at breast pumps. I have heard good things about Medela, but there seems to be all kinds of them: Pump in Style Advance, Symphony, Freestyle, Double Ease, etc. I have no idea what the difference is!?

I have the Medela electric mini breast pump and had it for DD and DS too, I think it's fab, very efficient and suitsy needs...I suppose it depends how much you will be using pump? Mine was occasional use for if we was having a night out and someone was looking after LO...as a guide,I used to easily pump 7-8pz in two sessions (10-15 mins of pumping per session)

X

I am wondering what pump to get too so will be interested to see what advice you get :)

I used a Medela Pump 'n' Style with my son, and am using the same pump this time around (with different tubing and shields). I liked that it looked kinda like a briefcase, so carrying it in and out of work was discreet, and it also had an insulated lunchbox thing built in, so I could put an ice pack in there for storage during the day. I took about 15 minutes twice a day and could easily get 6 oz from each breast, so it definitely worked well for me.

I have a few of them (full time worker and breastfeeder). I like the Medela pump in Style, I used it through my whole year pumping with #1. Parts are easy to get and clean. I was not as impressed with freestyle or swing, but they do work. Last baby I only used the Medela for a backup, as I found the avent Isis duo to be easier on my nipples and the adjustable suction powers worked better for me, but every body is different.

I also had the pump in style advanced. I liked it! I bf for a year, and worked part time so I used it a lot.

Used the Pump n Style and loved it. Am definitely going to use again. It was very convenient when I had to go back to work!

I'll be using the freestyle double pump as it had good reviews when I was looking.
If you're in the uk they are sold in mothercare for £319 at the moment but they will price match amazon where it is £225. Comes with pump, calma treat, cooling bag and four bottles plus loads of other bits. I thought that was pretty good.

I had a Pump in Style with my son and that's what I got this time too. I pumped multiple times a day while I worked and the double pump worked great. I didn't really try anything else so I can't give you a comparison, but I do recommend it.

i liked the hand held manual, i think it was the "swing" one, im not sure. i had so much milk i didnt need an electric one, plus they were soooo exoensive. i got my medula for sixty bucks:)

I've just bought the medela swing maxi, friend has the single and says its great. Decided I'd go for the double as I guess that will halve the time spent pumping??

If you join amazon family you currently get £85 off so its worth joining.

I'm going to hijack for a second...sorry OP! Can any of you medela Pump in style users tell me how many of each thing I will need for replacement parts? Like...how many membranes should I keep on hand? sets of tubing? connectors? I bought my pump second hand and the other mom only used it twice but I have no idea how much of each I will need and the closest retailer is 3 hours away!

I've used the mini and the swing. Loves them both but unless you are planning to express a lot it's probably not worth it. However my mini helped me exclusively express for 15weeks straight :)

I'm going to hijack for a second...sorry OP! Can any of you medela Pump in style users tell me how many of each thing I will need for replacement parts? Like...how many membranes should I keep on hand? sets of tubing? connectors? I bought my pump second hand and the other mom only used it twice but I have no idea how much of each I will need and the closest retailer is 3 hours away!

I think I had maybe three sets of the membranes and the piece they go on. Two sets of shields and just the one set of tubing. But I pumped like three times a day at work so I wanted to be sure I had clean and working backups. If I were just pumping at home I probably wouldn't have wanted as many extras.

I think I had maybe three sets of the membranes and the piece they go on. Two sets of shields and just the one set of tubing. But I pumped like three times a day at work so I wanted to be sure I had clean and working backups. If I were just pumping at home I probably wouldn't have wanted as many extras.

^--- what she said! I kept a set (shields, membranes, the piece the membranes go on, and tubing) at work, and had a set with my pump. I wanted to make sure I had backups!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->