Bridesmaid dress for 37 weeks. Ack.

moose

Reaction score
I am supposed to be a bridesmaid for a wedding in May 2009, I will be 37 weeks!

I am at a loss at how to order/what to order for the wedding.

The bride wants this dress, https://www.houseofbrides.com/product.php?productid=30898&cat=488&page=2, for the bridesmaids. I asked if I could have a dress that is floor length and she chose this one https://www.houseofbrides.com/product.php?productid=30885&cat=488&page=2.

I don't know if this is going to work.

I am a size 22 right now...I don't know if just ordering a regular dress will have the room for my tummy at 37 weeks. And if the above dress with the natural waist will work. I have shown her some dresses with empire waists but she wants me to match the other girls as closely as possible.

Can a regular dress just ordered larger work or will I need a maternity dress at 37 weeks?

Has anyone had to order a bridesmaid dress and go through this before?

Unfortunately I told the bride that I wasn't comfortable with the idea when I was put in this situation. Mine was for 36 weeks though and I didn't think I was up for dealing with the stress of being in the actual wedding and we ended up both happier. I had a great time and really enjoyed the day and we made sure we got some fantastic photos.

Hi hun, i was a bridesmaid about four weeks ago for my sister. I did have to have a maternity dress in the end, but did try and go for a normal 'bigger' dress. The problem i had was that when we approached the dressmaker about the alterations she was not happy at all to do it. She said to alter the dress she would have to take it apart at every seam and re stich a week before the wedding. Also the length wouldn't hang right as she would have needed to take more of the back than the front (to go over bump) and this totally effected the hang and empire line of the dress. So i had a maternity dress by alfred sung in the end. I know it would mean looking different from the other bridesmaids but tbh i would prefer that than not looking right in the dress. Sorry not sure i have been much help to you Good Luck xxxx

Thank you both.

I would like to be in the wedding party as we have been friends for 16 years (there are 6 of us).

Hmmm, that is what I thought about a normal dress. That they would have to completely take it apart to fit. I will talk to her more about this. Thank you, it is what I was thinking would happen.

Eek, well what happens happens eh?

I think you're quite brave agreeing to be a bridesmaid when that heavily pregnant. I certainly wouldn't be able to manage and I imagine it could be quite hard on you. Even something like standing at the alter for 45 mins could be a challenge.

I hope you get something sorted with the dress. I know that this company do lovely dresses that will feel really comfy for you too https://www.tiffanyrose.com/maternity/clothes/dresses.html

I dont think it's very realistic of her to say you should wear a fitted dress when you are so heavily pregnant hun.

You have no idea what size you will be by the time the wedding comes around so you could end up buying a dress that simply wont fit you.

Maybe you could just opt for a lovely maternity dress nearer the time in a colour that compliments the other bridesmaids dresses but isnt exactly the same?
Im sure you will look lovely & much better in something which is designed for your pregnant body & the bride needs to think about comfort for you too xx

Eek, I would hope that it wouldn't be 45 minutes. It is a ceremony with a justice of the peace so hopefully she will just cut everything short.

I just realized, and she forgot to mention again that she wants us in three different dresses. One chinese, one vietnamese, and one bridesmaid.

Oh my goodness that Clementine dress on your link rafwife is to die for! I am in love, but it doesn't go up to my size.....or I would by it just bum around town in. So lovely!!

Well off to email her again.

I'd say you will definitely need a maternity gown. Not only for the cut, but the fact that normal clothes are incredibly uncomfy to the point of sore when you're so big. I managed to buy normal clothes in a size up until I was about 25 weeks and have been in maternity things since. I think the cut of a maternity gown will be more flattering too.

I agree definitely need a maternity gown. The waist on that dress is simply not going to work over any 37 week bump. Ordering too big will only mean that the rest of the dress hangs off you. Your friend should be more reasonable and less anal about what people wear! It's supposed to be a wonderful occasion where you get to share in her special day, it's not about what dress you wear! You would be able to get an empire line style with a ribbon at the empire waist and a cross over top and in the same fabric as the style she has chosen and look just as lovely as the others that match!

Im in the same Boat as you, Im Matron of Honor for a wedding on May 10th, Bad part, Twins are due May 8th. For my sake I hope they are born a bit early so Im up and moving. But For twins sake I hope they cook as long as possible.

My bride is alittle understanding but the dresses she wants, the dressmaker is talking her out of having me in the party :cry:

Let us know what you two decide

I think we have it worked out. What a relief.

So this is the first choice, but it will be floor length. I don't know about the sizing though so we have a second choice as well.
https://www.houseofbrides.com/product.php?productid=17311&cat=654&page=1
This is the second choice.
https://www.houseofbrides.com/product.php?productid=26534&cat=1331&page=1

I would prefer the second, just because it is more flowy....but we will see what happens!

Good luck Soon2be3, I hope that it works out for you both...and hisses at the dressmaker for steping in. Fingers crossed for you.

im a bigger girl at a size 18 to begin with i am now 35 weeks tomorrow and i can assure you there is no way any gown thats not meant for a bump would fit me, i am huge, the length would be so short at the front because it would ride up to cover the bump, i agree with the others a maternity dress is a must lol

Lou
xxx

I think we have it worked out. What a relief.

So this is the first choice, but it will be floor length. I don't know about the sizing though so we have a second choice as well.
https://www.houseofbrides.com/product.php?productid=17311&cat=654&page=1
This is the second choice.
https://www.houseofbrides.com/product.php?productid=26534&cat=1331&page=1

I would prefer the second, just because it is more flowy....but we will see what happens!

Good luck Soon2be3, I hope that it works out for you both...and hisses at the dressmaker for steping in. Fingers crossed for you.

Glad to hear your getting sorted. I posted earlier to say that i had been Bridesmaid for my sister, the dress i had was in fact the second one (alfred sung). It is a really beautiful dress, the only thing i would say is that i found there was something missing...... i think it needed a sash or something just under the bust. They do have stockist of the dress in the uk so you can try it on. It is very elegant though!

Oooo, that is the one you had?! It does look nice, but you are right about needing a sash. We would for sure add one to the dress as all the other maids will have one as well.

Now we just wait and see if I can make it there eh? Tehehehe!!

i think the second option looks really elegant and comfier than the first. :)

Where in Canada are you?

For my brother's wedding, we had our dresses made at a seamstress's. I'm sure you could take the picture of the gown that your friend wants you to have, and then take it to a seamstress and have a maternity dress made that is similar to the other ladies dresses.

I understand her wanting you to look the same, but at the same time as well, you're going to be 37 weeks pregnant! Maybe this could be a good compromise?

I am outside Calgary...the wedding and the bride are from Calgary. No biggie though it is an easy drive (a bit over an hour).

We are going to hit up a couple of the shops, and find out what the owners say next weekend.

I am so happy I never have to plan another wedding! Tehehee!

You're going to look amazing!! Hope LO hangs on til after the wedding :hugs:

x

Oooh lovely dress....glad you guys came to a comprimise.

As Tyff said if all else failsmaybe you could get a similar colour and material and have a dress made for you nearer the time by someone as close to the pattern of first dress,

Emma.xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->