Bumpers & SIDS

mBLACK

Mother to one & WTT!
Reaction score
Apparently crib bumpers add to SIDS/stealing baby's breath. What's everybody's thoughts on this? I don't even use my crib so it's not an issue for me.

Crib bumpers are not advised to be used as soon as your baby is moving-as when they start attempting to roll they get caught up in them I think?

Not too sure about stealing babys breath though. . .sorry! :baby: x x

I was told to remove the bumper once baby can sit unaided and to check they r tied tight daily xx

I've heard this but honestly...never in my life has anyone had an issue with it that I know of. EVERYONE uses them here, they come in nursery sets..if they were that dangerous I would assume they wouldn't be allowed to be sold. We all had bumper pads and we're fine.

I'm using a cradle for the first while so I guess I'll sort it out when she's ready to go in there.

I've heard about it being a problem that babies get tangled in them, but until they're really active, if the bumper's at the top and baby's at the bottom in a sleeping bag, surely they can't get near them to cause any damage?

I also heard they were fine until baby could sit unaided

I had one with DD1 and she was a very active baby and never got caught up on it. I dont really see how they can rip it off and get tangled in it when there asleep.

Id say they prob would if they were sitting up awake and fiddling with it and ripped it off the cot ;)

Never heard of them being an issue around here. Obviously you would make sure they are notted tight and securely... they is just common sense.

Everyone I know has been using them for forever and a day and no one I know has had an issue.

Now what I have heard about them is that you should have ones which are not too overstuffed or frilly.

I've heard it before & almost everyone I know removed their bumpers.

I don't think bumpers are important. We've been warned against them for SIDS. I'm removing mine when Jasmine is wiggling in the cot.

My bumper is massive and I have actually looped it around each corner of the cot then it joins together behind a bar and is knotted SO tight - she cant pull it off and she can't get tangled in it! *IF* that came undone the chance of the corners being pulled out are slim because even I have to tug it quite hard to take it off for washing - tried and tested.

If that makes sense - I dunno if you can see what Ive done here (the corners):
https://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w286/wobble_wobble/IMG_0915.jpg

I've heard about it being a problem that babies get tangled in them, but until they're really active, if the bumper's at the top and baby's at the bottom in a sleeping bag, surely they can't get near them to cause any damage?

oh I heard that the bumper stops the flow of oxygen properly to the baby & it increases the risk of SIDS.

I highly doubt that is possible... I think that comment came from someone with too much time on their hands. The only way it would stop the flow of oxygen to anything would be if the baby crushed its face into the bumper closing off its mouth and nose.

Wobbles, your nursery is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!! It looks like a model room from a magazine! Good idea about putting it around the posts.

I posted piccies here
https://www.babyandbump.com/baby-to...oom-finally-complete-pics.html?highlight=room

Was very pleased with myself :blush:

I posted piccies here
https://www.babyandbump.com/baby-to...oom-finally-complete-pics.html?highlight=room

Was very pleased with myself :blush:

I would be too! It is really good!

Bumpers are dangerous. Babies of any age can roll and get head stuck and suffocate. I would NEVER use one. Not recommended in UK until after 12 months of age. I would not risk it for the sake of a pretty looking cot.

Iv never heard of them being an issue... My midwife has seen my cot with the bumper on and hasnt said anything. She comes to my house for apointments and wanted to make sure i didnt have cot next to radiator or window ect. And if baby is at the bottom end of the cot they are nowhere near the bumper anyway ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->