Bumpers & SIDS

I had a bumper with My Caitlin and because it was a thin one i lowered it and tucked it inbetween te matrice and the bars.. I thought the whole point of a bumper was to stop them bumping their heads when they started moving around?!

something that needs more reasearch i think

Bumpers are dangerous. Babies of any age can roll and get head stuck and suffocate. I would NEVER use one. Not recommended in UK until after 12 months of age. I would not risk it for the sake of a pretty looking cot.
I didn't see anyone saying they would use one for a pretty looking cot? I don't think theres anyone who would risk their babies life for a pretty cot! Some people are comfy with them whist others aren't but they do need to be secure and tight so babies head can not get stuck in it - thats just sense.

Some info suggests that you stop using bumpers when baby can sit up and pull themselves up using that as a helping hand ... theres no evidence that bumpers increase or decrease cot death.

A further 32% wrongly identified cot bumpers as a risk, but research has shown that they have neither good nor bad effects in terms of cot death risk
https://www.fsid.org.uk/mothercare-poll-press.html

I had a bumper with My Caitlin and because it was a thin one i lowered it and tucked it inbetween te matrice and the bars.. I thought the whole point of a bumper was to stop them bumping their heads when they started moving around?!

something that needs more reasearch i think
Indeed thats why I use one my Caitlin pushes the top of her head right to the top of the cot! Always did the same in her moses.

& when her daddy was younger he got his legs caught in the bars .... twice & his leg in plaster (broke).

Bumpers are dangerous. Babies of any age can roll and get head stuck and suffocate. I would NEVER use one. Not recommended in UK until after 12 months of age. I would not risk it for the sake of a pretty looking cot.
I didn't see anyone saying they would use one for a pretty looking cot? I don't think theres anyone who would risk their babies life for a pretty cot! Some people are comfy with them whist others aren't but they do need to be secure and tight so babies head can not get stuck in it - thats just sense.

Some info suggests that you stop using bumpers when baby can sit up and pull themselves up using that as a helping hand ... theres no evidence that bumpers increase or decrease cot death.

A further 32% wrongly identified cot bumpers as a risk, but research has shown that they have neither good nor bad effects in terms of cot death risk

Just the fact that this debate is on here shows to me personally there must be an increased risk.
My moto will always be 'if theres any doubt, don't do it'.

Definately agree with if theres doubt don't. As I say some are comfy with them some are not. I was hmm'ing over it had I not got it the way I do now I'd not have used it very nearly didn't in fact but she cannot get her head under there even if she tried.

As the site I showed you suggested people wrongly identified them as a risk because we hear things along the way and we take it board its a pain in the backside when so many stuff having conflicting views and we hear things that are said as fact when its not. Hateful and it will never end lol!

Just the fact that this debate is on here shows to me personally there must be an increased risk.
My moto will always be 'if theres any doubt, don't do it'.

The UK unfortunately seems to have some really odd (dont know what word to use) rules and info... Im not entirely sure whether it is just very behind in research, or ahead... That comment is by no means meant to offend anyone... I just dont get some of the things I read on here.

The main point in Canada, is to make sure you select a good, safe bumper... Just like when you choose your crib mattress. Having your bedding set up and attached/arranged correctly is important in accidents happening, like with anything in life.

Here is information on SIDS and the things which increase/decrease the risk... As per the Canadian site.
https://www.babycenter.ca/baby/health/cotdeath/

On another point, if your baby moves around alot there is a risk of them bumping their head on the wooden bars or the crib which can cause bruising and conccusions... And a conccusion is not something you need on the babies developing brain.

Why do you need a bumper? I dont get it?? sorry for being stupid....

Why do you need a bumper? I dont get it?? sorry for being stupid....

People use them to keep thier babies from bumping their delicate heads on the bars of the crib.

Babies heads are not that delicate - everyone has, or does, bang their baby's head off a door/bannister/handle at some point. I don't think the baby is likely to bang their head hard enough to cause concussion. What's more likely is that they are used to stop the baby getting their arms or legs caught between the bars of the cot.

I found this online:
When selecting bedding, choose a firm, flat mattress and keep the cot free of blankets, pillows, and stuffed toys. If you want use bumpers, be sure that they are well secured and allow for adequate air flow.

and this:
Babies should be laid to sleep on their back, with their feet touching the foot of the cot. Sheets or thin blankets should be tucked in and made up so that they come no higher than the baby's shoulders, to prevent them wriggling under the covers. Do not let your baby sleep on a sheepskin, or use duvets, pillows, cot bumpers or quilts for infants aged under one year, as these increase the risk of cot death. Do not overcrowd the cot with soft toys.

So as clear as mud then lol

Always clear as mud lol

My Caitlin moves around a lot always worries me but her monitor eases me LOADS however because she pushes her head against the bars I'd rather she had a soft cushion there (the bumper) which has been my personal preference which I am very comfortable with even under 12 months and its very very secure Im such a paranoid person :blush: so for me to feel comfy with it fullstop makes me comfy with my decision and comfortable how I have managed to fit the bumper (how tight secure it is).

The info on the site Ryder is identical to the UK one.

Wobbles I set up my cradle today and put pads in it to make it look nice and I used your weaving idea!

BUT...I'm using a snuggle nest IN the cradle so Penelope won't be near them, it is more just for looks. I haven't decided which I'm using yet, if I want to co-bed or put her in the cradle, so I bought both and I can put her in there in the daytime, but keep her in bed with me at night if I choose to. So no bumper pad danger

Babies heads are not that delicate - everyone has, or does, bang their baby's head off a door/bannister/handle at some point. I don't think the baby is likely to bang their head hard enough to cause concussion. What's more likely is that they are used to stop the baby getting their arms or legs caught between the bars of the cot.

Actually, it does not take even a mature person a very big bang of hit to the skull to get a concussion... The thing is, many people do not know what a concussion is, they assume it is complete blacking out.

Of course babies will get bumps etc... But me personally, I would rather have the bumper pads, especially if the baby oves around alot.

I've heard about it being a problem that babies get tangled in them, but until they're really active, if the bumper's at the top and baby's at the bottom in a sleeping bag, surely they can't get near them to cause any damage?

oh I heard that the bumper stops the flow of oxygen properly to the baby & it increases the risk of SIDS.

I find this extremely hard to believe! We sleep them in Moses baskets with blankets and hoods, the air circulation is going to be much less in there that in a huge cot with some padding round the sides!

Yer I thought of that actually - the moses :D

I was told that the bumpers help to keep their legs and arms from getting caught between the bars. (and of course from bumping their heads) They sell ones at walmart that are a mesh material to keep their hands and feet from getting between the bars and if they are up against the side (most like to happen when they actually start moving as everyone else has said) then its mesh so they can still breathe through it. Now I dont have a child so Im unsure of all this and have never used one or really even seen one for that matter before. I also wondered about bumper pads for a while but a friend of mine whom just had a baby told me a little more about them...she bought the mesh one from walmart.

I've never bothered getting one anyway....what's the point? I thought it was to stop them banging their heads on the bars but if you have to take them out once baby is older, baby won't even be near the bars before that anyway. Waste of money in my opinion:blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->