Caffine

mrs.amillian

Mumma to a stunna
Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

Well back here again, yay!!

And the worries haven't changed at all!! What are you guys doing about caffine?

I drink a lot and will always reach for a hot drink over a cold one, last time I cut down loads in the first tri and drank caffine free tea.

But while TTC I tried to give up and cut down again, and had like withdrawal symptoms :dohh: hahaha, I dunno what to do for the best this time??

I pretty much gave up coffee straight way - was only having one cup a day anyway. I do sometimes still have a decaf cappuccino if we are out.

Tea was much harder...... I normally had 1-2 cups of regular tea in the morning and occasionally 1 in the afternoon. I dropped the 3rd cup and switched the second cup to decaf after the first few weeks. Then decided I didn't like the taste of it and switched to peppermint tea.

The last couple of weeks, I've managed to swap the first one for decaf tea, which I am happier about because that means for the first time in years I am totally caffeine free.

In the meantime, I've gone off the peppermint tea, but am enjoying lemon and ginger - you could give one of those a go :flower:

[p.s. Best caffeine free tea bags we've found are the Yorkshire tea bags, if you like a good strong builder's tea :winkwink: ]

I started drinking Rooibos tea as it contains no caffeine and had one cup of caffeine free coffee a day.

See I drink roughly 6+ cups of tea a day (big cups!)

I will def try Yorkshire tea, I'm drinking that at the moment so shouldn't be too different.

I will kick coffee now, which is easier than tea but I do like those ice coffee's you can buy in Sainsburys, grrrrr especially as they are only £1 at the mo, lol!

I detoxed caffeine after my miscarriage. It was the only pregnancy I drank caffeine in and was on 2-4cups a day.

This time I'm drinking caffeine free green tea once or twice a day and Red bush tea the other times. I do have decaf coffee and decaf tea in my cupboards but worry if I'll start drinking it I'll move to the caffeinated versions.

I'm going cold turkey with the coffee which isn't as bad as I was expecting but I am suffering from a lot of headaches which I think is in part down to cutting out caffeine. I've started drinking caff free green tea or hot water with lemon, which is really lovely. Can't abide ginger tea any more as it reminds me of ms with my last pregnancy lol!!

I used to drink up to 7 cups of coffee a day but once I got pregnant the smell and taste of it started making me feel sick whenever I'd drink it so it wasn't too hard giving it up. Every now and then I will get a very small cup but rarely more than that.
I replaced coffee with green and white teas. My favourite at the moment is a strawberry white tea. Not caffeine free, but the caffeine is much lower than it is in coffee.

I at most have a coffee a day. With my first I gave it up totally first trimester. But now my fatigue isn't as bad so I can go some days without

I tend to abide by moderation. Awful morning sickness had prevented me from keeping hardly anything down for weeks (all tea etc absolutely appalled me and I was soooooo sad, 'cause I love me some tea), but since it has recently let up some, I have enjoyed a cup of coffee or chai here and there. My general limit is no more than 200mg of caffeine at any given day. I still can't stand the thought of other beverages I once loved though :(... but would likely drink them occasionally if I could (like green tea, caramel machiatto, etc).

I cut it out completely when carrying my oldest (wouldn't even touch chocolate, lol), but was more lenient with my youngest (and with this one, at least in my mind heh).

Hi Celesse x

I think we were on the tri boards together last time too! Must be a good sign x

I drank one cup of coffee, with a caffeine content below the "safe" amount, with my first two pregnancies and they both ended in miscarriage.

This time I am not drinking any coffee or tea and so far so good.

I just had this conversation with my doctor yesterday. It's obviously your choice but I was concerned because I was having a Chai latte every once in a while and it seemed like sometimes I would cramp after it so I wanted to make sure it was ok - she said I shouldn't worry and that caffeine has been tested and 1 tea was nowhere near any limit that I should worry about. My pregnancy packet says 300 mg per day is safe. I still don't come near that and most days don't have any, but sometimes I just need a Coke or a tea!

For the record, she did say that my cramping could be due to herbs in the Chai (since herbs aren't tested) so I am switching to Earl Grey on the rare occasion that I need tea.

I have never see a chai tea with caffeine in it. If you get it from a coffee shop it should be made there and is just herbs. Even bagged, typically, it is only caffeine free herbs.

I have never see a chai tea with caffeine in it. If you get it from a coffee shop it should be made there and is just herbs. Even bagged, typically, it is only caffeine free herbs.

Interesting - I have always heard the opposite. I know the Chai I have at home has caffeine (it says so on the box) so it must depend on the brand.

I still drink about 2 cans of cola a day.
Did with both of my girls as well and they are both happy and healthy. Doctor even said it was fine as long as I wasn't drinking like 2 litres a day. All in moderation. :)

We have awful coffee here at work...so it wasn't that hard to give it up. hah.

I've been drinking lime with hot water...to settle my stomach. Good Luck on giving of the coffee.

My first pregnancy I cut it out completely. This time I'm way more relaxed about it.

I've cut back a bit, probably by half but I honestly don't believe caffeine does any harm and have never read of any conclusive evidence to the contrary. I don't worry if I go over the recommended limit.

I have both caffeine free and caffeinated chai; I use the latter when making lattes (Oregon Trail Concentrate, which contains black tea).

Some herbs are not recommended to ingest during pregnancy as some can induce miscarriage, cause uterine bleeding, etc. I don't know how much of such herbs would be present in tea, I can't imagine one cup alone being significant enough to cause issues (unless it was a concoction INTENDED to) but I generally avoid them altogether. I used to love Tazo Vanilla Red lattes but the mixture contains licorice root (which is one listed as best avoided).

I have one coffee in the morning and one cup of tea in the evening. I don't make either of them too strong - if i got the jitters from the coffee I'd think it was bad for baby.
But I'm not too concerned about the levels I have as they are pretty low and the same as in my first pregnancy.

I'm going cold turkey with the coffee which isn't as bad as I was expecting but I am suffering from a lot of headaches which I think is in part down to cutting out caffeine. I've started drinking caff free green tea or hot water with lemon, which is really lovely. Can't abide ginger tea any more as it reminds me of ms with my last pregnancy lol!!

I had a lot of headaches (particularly in the morning) on week 4 but it went away by mid week 5! Had to ween myself off coffee too... it was hard! And I'm soo picky about my coffee, so it was hard to find a good decaf coffee and tea that would trick my mind into thinking I'm drinking caffeine! Haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->