Caffine

With my first pregnancy and my second pregnancy, I did EVERYTHING right. Cut out caffeine COMPLETELY, avoided hot showers, ate perfectly healthy, lots of fruits and veggies, no lunch meat, I did not even hold my cat, and I was a freak about everything. I still lost my first around 5.5 weeks although I did not find out until 8+6, and lost my twins at 8+0 although I knew they were doing bad from the get go. I felt very very defeated and like I tried every single thing to keep them and none of it worked. This time, I drank 8-10 oz of coffee per day the whole first tri and now I have cut back significantly but that is cause it affects my stomach too much suddenly. But the baby is doing perfect this time. I just think that if it is meant to be, it will be. Although, I would not drink like 5 cups per day cause that is too much for even my body to handle. I still look up things to make sure they are pregnancy safe, but I did have a deli sandwich the other day and had the little worry in the back of my mind. But I watch my BFF that drinks a large coffee every single day, eats subway, has bleu cheese and anything unpasteurized, and her baby is almost here. I just think that this day and age, they scare pregnant women all the time. When my mom was pregnant with me, her dr told her it was okay to have a beer or glass of wine a couple days a week! And no mention of coffee or deli meats, or anything else crazy. I definitely respect peoples wishes to not drink caffeine especially if it makes them feel better. I have had losses and I wanted something to blame, but I know they were chromosomal, still did not make it any easier. If you decide to drink coffee or soda, just keep it under the limit that is recommended. :hugs:
Thank you! I completely agree.

So I have officially been caffeine free for 24 hrs I brought some, Green tea with mango and lycee (yum, sweet) and green tea with Jasmine.

I did have a decaf white mocha from Starbucks yesterday, but it would have been drastically less than what I normally drink, I do wonder sometimes if people, like me, with a high caffeine intake normally, to suddenly stop would be more harmful to the baby and their body than just carrying on, but not increasing?

I will be having some chocolate later though :haha:

I don't want to piss on your bonfire but you shouldn't drink green tea in early pregnancy for whilst TTC as it causes dips in folate reserves (folic acid) and can increase risk of spinabifida.

Yes. It's why it's so good at fighting cancer, it depletes folate reserves which is what stops cells diving (which is what cancer is). It's why they give methotrexate (cancer/chemotherapy drug) to stop ectopics, it depletes folate levels and stops the baby developing and cells dividing and this is why you're not to TTC for 3 months after MTX and it can also affect egg quality.

Sorry I'm a bit of a geek on the subject.

Not trying to scare you just offering you facts. It's been scientifically proven by studies.

xx

No, no that's cool I'm on here for collective knowledge.

I've just switched to decaf tea and coffee, although not 100% caffiene free it's a lot less than my normal intake and below guidelines so I'm happy with that x

Thank god I only had 3 or 4 cups of green tea over 2 days, and not continued!

I gave up coffee and tea at the start of my pregnancy. I was drinking nettle tea but then found out that it can cause the uterus to contract and lead to miscarriage. I've just been having one cup of lemon and ginger first thing and the occasional roiboos. I've had a few hot chocolates, though. Chocolate is much harder for me to give up! I avoid decaf coffee because of the chemicals (however minute the amounts) they use to remove the caffeine. Not sure about decaf tea.

No, no that's cool I'm on here for collective knowledge.

I've just switched to decaf tea and coffee, although not 100% caffiene free it's a lot less than my normal intake and below guidelines so I'm happy with that x

Thank god I only had 3 or 4 cups of green tea over 2 days, and not continued!

I drank so much green tea prior to each of my conceptions and during the first few weeks of each pregnancy (quit all caffeine with my oldest once I became aware I was preggo, had the occasional green tea etc with my youngest throughout the pregnancy, got screwed from having anything but basically junk for weeks this time around once morning sickness hit [ugh I did not know how lucky I had it with my others]) - i drank at least 5 cups a day though :blush: I have since read it can inhibit folic acid absorption, but my boys were and are fine (I was taking whole food supplements and had a well-rounded diet as well) and my scans with this one have been normal. Perhaps it just depends on the individual :shrug:.

Christ on a bike.

Is anyone else sick and tired of scare mongering?

A small amount of caffeine is fine. That stress you're putting on yourself worrying about what is/is not going to cause a miscarriage is probably doing more harm by the way! Chocolate is fine. A few cups of green tea is not going to cause spina bifida (for crying out loud!)

Obviously it's good to be conscious of what you're eating and drinking but some things are fine in moderation. So put down the Internet and just LIVE! ;)

I cut out caffine months ago due to headaches. I replaced it with herbal teas, and refresh honey, lemon and ginger drinks. It you use fresh ingredients its really good for you, plus ginger gives you natural energy and is great for settling your stomach with morning sickness

You're right, red. It's trying to find a balance between following the guidance and not worrying too much.

Christ on a bike.

Is anyone else sick and tired of scare mongering?

Your post made me laugh! I love it! I agree we have all been scared into not doing ANYTHING. At first I was terrified of everything but as the days go on, it's only pissing me off and making me worry. I tell my mom "I can't have this and I can't have that" and she just pauses and says..."well, why not? I've never heard of that." Of course there are definitely certain things that I avoid now. But I still have a soda every other week (wasn't a big soda drinker to begin with) and I have about two small cups of coffee each week. And chocolate? Hell yeah, I love chocolate! My mom told me that when she was pregnant with my brother she "lived on apple mayo salad and coca-cola."

My hubby and I had a hard time getting pregnant and we want this baby more than anything in the world, but I refuse to put myself in a panic over a cup of coffee or a soda. I'm not saying anyone's viewpoint on this is right or wrong. Just do what you are comfortable with.

Exactly LoveMyTripawd! I started out being suuuuper careful about everything but it does get a bit insane. Like you, my DH and I want this baby more than anything, and it took us longer than expected to get pregnant, but I can't put up with scaremongering about every little thing. Stress and worry is far more dangerous than a little piece of chocolate ;)

Agreed and agreed! I was told no sushi because of food borne illness. I've eaten street food all over the world and THAT would be the thing to finally give me food poisoning?? No.

Exactly LoveMyTripawd! I started out being suuuuper careful about everything but it does get a bit insane. Like you, my DH and I want this baby more than anything, and it took us longer than expected to get pregnant, but I can't put up with scaremongering about every little thing. Stress and worry is far more dangerous than a little piece of chocolate ;)

I loved both your posts on this thread Red.
I was also super worried because I ate blue cheese, cause I thought it was ok since it was pasteurized. So I went to the 11 week scan appointment and told my midwife full of guilt and worry. You know what she said? "You know that country called France? Well, they survived and they even eat unpasteurized stuff all the time. So, do your best, but please don't stress out". And when I asked her if I should have a cup of decaf or a cup or regular (because I had doubts about the chemicals in decaf) she said "A cup of regular is better. And have one or two per day if you feel like it. No need to deprive yourself". I drank my first cup of coffee since finding out that I am pregnant yesterday and I enjoyed it soooo much! I am not planing to go back to daily consumption (I only had 3-4 per week anyway) but it is nice not to freak out about everything.

I completely agree with you Red! It does get crazy... I just want to shut down the internet and all books and just live freely. One thing that I have been researching about consuming is peanut butter and peanut allergies... I had a friend tell me to not ever eat peanut butter while pregnant or breastfeeding due to peanut allergies. So, I research it and some say they ate peanut butter 24/7 and their child is fine and others say their child has an allergy. Then one study says there is no link and another says they do not know. Or one says no exposure causes the allergy. This world is full of stress and upsetting news/information for pregnant women. It takes all the joy out. I am prone to worrying, so I was a little hesitant to eat peanut butter, but then I just decided like my coffee, everything in moderation. Same thing with sex, I do not do it everyday, although I am sure it would be fine to! If you research it, some swear they MC'd after orgasm and others had sex the entire time! We still have sex a lot and with my other 2 failed pregnancies, we avoided the wholeeee time and then had to avoid for longer until the whole process was over. Not doing that again. I believe that all of us stressing out over everything is worse for our babies than consuming something or doing some activity in moderation. I read somewhere that hummus should not be consumed JUST IN CASE of the risk of salmonella or something cause tahini is not heated properly. I said whatev, and enjoyed my hummus. I only eat eggs over medium and they say that is risk of salmonella... Just there is too much to panic over and I am freaking sick of it. Especially when I tried everything right before and it did not work. I feel like it is a life lesson for me as I am usually a freak about everything. Anyways, ladies, there is a risk with everything. Driving, walking, going out past dark, going to your place of business or school, and doing just about anything in life. We just need to respect everyones fears, but try to still live life and not be so worried. I know this is a stressful time for all of us and I wish it was a fun/happy time for all of us. That is how it should be, but this world has scared us into being afraid to live in it.

I loved both your posts on this thread Red.
I was also super worried because I ate blue cheese, cause I thought it was ok since it was pasteurized. So I went to the 11 week scan appointment and told my midwife full of guilt and worry. You know what she said? "You know that country called France? Well, they survived and they even eat unpasteurized stuff all the time. So, do your best, but please don't stress out". And when I asked her if I should have a cup of decaf or a cup or regular (because I had doubts about the chemicals in decaf) she said "A cup of regular is better. And have one or two per day if you feel like it. No need to deprive yourself". I drank my first cup of coffee since finding out that I am pregnant yesterday and I enjoyed it soooo much! I am not planing to go back to daily consumption (I only had 3-4 per week anyway) but it is nice not to freak out about everything.

Exactly! I doubt French women deny themselves all those cheeses they're famous for. The only reason I'm not drinking any coffee at all (I had cut down to, like, 2 per week prior to getting pregnant) is because it gives me migraines, and I get enough of those these days!

Wow MrsGax, that is confusing about the peanuts! I've been told by both my midwife and my doctor that it's perfectly safe to eat peanuts unless there is a history of nut allergies in the family.

I heard that one about the hummus too. Pffftt!!! As a vegetarian, I'd be lost without my hummus. :shrug:

Well actually I'm a fan of soft cheeses but I watched a French movie, really good, about pregnancy and her mom figured out she was pregnant because she avoided wine and specifically unpasteurized cheese at dinner. I was surprised

With Indie i was so naive, i ate bree all the way through my pregnancy. I had a small glass of red wine when i fancied it (not every week haha). I gave into my cravings of chocolate, cream cakes and fizzy drinks in cans. And she is perfectly fine. I, on the other hand, still have the excess chub from the cream cakes haha!

With Indie i was so naive, i ate bree all the way through my pregnancy. I had a small glass of red wine when i fancied it (not every week haha). I gave into my cravings of chocolate, cream cakes and fizzy drinks in cans. And she is perfectly fine. I, on the other hand, still have the excess chub from the cream cakes haha!

Off topic, but I love the name Indie. Is it short for anything? Indiana? Indigo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->