cake making and baking - ALL WELCOME

Hi :flower:

I did this recently for a friends little girl.

I used a Pyrex bowl, for the first time, I used my normal recipe and filled it about just over half way. Sorry I can't be more specific but I did it by eye and it worked out ok.

And yeah I did cut it and filled it like I do with normal round cakes, with cake, a layer of jam, cake, layer of buttercream, cake, more jam, cake and then a crumb coat of buttercream all over before adding fondant.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 6
Thank you so much that's really helped me! Would you mind sharing your recipe as your measurements worked will save me messing it up I guess!
Your lady bird looks amazing! Mine will look like my 3 yr old done it lol.
Your very talented, I only wish I could do cake decorating well. I can't even cook the cake very well never mind decorate it! Probably be easier for me to just buy one but I want to make it just so I have done both there 1st ones!
I've been reading today about fondants/sugar paste/gum paste etc and what the differences are! Its so confusing, think I've got it right thinking just coloured ready to roll icing for the lady bird. Trying to teach myself a bit more but its so confusing and there is so many different words and then you even add bits and bobs to make things stiffer/easier to work with!
Ha ha! Think I'm getting in over my head here! Should leave it to the experts! Lol.

Aww thank you you're very kind :blush:

The very first cake I did was for my little boy and I just fell in love with doing them although I'm having a bit of a break now.

My recipe is a traditional pound cake recipe, it's so simple, but people really do love it and always comment on how moist it is.

The key thing is that it's just equal weights of each ingredient!

So I first weigh my eggs, in shells, and whatever that is do the same weight of stork, caster sugar and self raising flour.

I make sure all ingredients are at room temperature. Cream stork and sugar, for ages and ages, like literally about 10 mins in the mixer until it's lightened in colour and increased in volume. Then add the eggs very slowly a bit at a time and add a spoonful of flour at any sign of curdling. Then when all the eggs are added add the flour. I hand stir it in with a spatula. Then I add about 5-10ml of vanilla and a glug of milk and give it a final mix all together and it's good to go!

For a Pyrex bowl size I'd probably do a 3 or 4 egg mix, it'll be too much probably, but I prefer to have a bit over and just make cupcakes or even a small 6 inch to build up your ladybird.

Red and black fondant are the only coloured fondant I buy because they're a nightmare to colour! I'm made up that asda do them now so don't have to buy online or in Lakeland.

To toughen it up for the antennae or any other bits if you have a cake decorating shop near you you can pick up a little pot of gum trag or tylose, I use tylose as it seems less drying in the fondant. Or alternatively you can get flower/modelling paste in sainsburys, I've tried it and it's fab! You can mix this with regular fondant and it will be easier to mould and will dry harder and faster. If you're using it with coloured fondant though you'd have to top up the colour so it's not too light.

Oh I forgot to say, I did line my Pyrex bowl before baking but not everyone does, I like that extra bit of protection though :)

Xx

Thank you so so much! That's so helpful, I'm really looking forward to making it now I have an idea how.
I was quite nervous before but now I'm excited!
I will try and post a picture once its done :)
If its not a huge disaster lol!
Do I just line the bowl with grease proof paper?

Thank you so so much! That's so helpful, I'm really looking forward to making it now I have an idea how.
I was quite nervous before but now I'm excited!
I will try and post a picture once its done :)
If its not a huge disaster lol!
Do I just line the bowl with grease proof paper?

No probs! I'm sure it'll be brill, getting started is the hardest I find!

Yeah although it's a bit of a pain because of the shape! First I greased the whole bowl. Then cut a circle of grease proof paper, quite a big circle, bigger than you'd think you need. Then I basically just cut strips into it all the way around, leaving a section about the size of a £2 coin in the very middle. Then greased the paper on one side with a bit of butter using kitchen roll then you can line the bowl without any lumps or bumps as you can lay all the strips flat.

Xx

Thank you again! Your so helpful!
I want to pipe some grass around the ladybird, I think I have a grass nozzle/tip!
I've a metal tip and disposable bags, do I just snip the end of bag off and pop the nozzle in so its poking out the end and then pipe?
Sorry for all the questions, I know I'm a pain!

Thank you again! Your so helpful!
I want to pipe some grass around the ladybird, I think I have a grass nozzle/tip!
I've a metal tip and disposable bags, do I just snip the end of bag off and pop the nozzle in so its poking out the end and then pipe?
Sorry for all the questions, I know I'm a pain!

Haha no it's ok no problem I'm happy to help! The amount of times I've been panicking and had to watch random utube videos at 2am is ridiculous haha!

Yeah exactly that just snip the end off and pop it in. You need quite a bit of pressure to pipe grass so if your icing/buttercream starts to feel or look a bit soft and is not holding it's shape as well, then put it down for a few
minutes or even in the fridge as it gets too warm because of the pressure.

I did some cupcakes with the above cake with grass on, I love it it's so effective!

Xx

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 9
Grr don't know why my pics are the wrong way!?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 4
I really am amazed at your cakes! They are stunning!
I've just cooked some cupcakes and if my little one has a good nap this afternoon I'm going to grass them! Might make some little bees for them too! See how much time my rascals give me.

I really am amazed at your cakes! They are stunning!
I've just cooked some cupcakes and if my little one has a good nap this afternoon I'm going to grass them! Might make some little bees for them too! See how much time my rascals give me.

Aw thanks :)

Make sure you post pics! And just gimmie a shout if I can help at all :)

Xx

I'm taking a break at the min really but just wanted to share 2 cakes I have done recently :flower:

This one was to welcome my new baby! I made it on my due date and he was born 2 weeks later. This is the midwife cutting it after he was born at home in the pool.

After we were cleaned up we all had a cup of tea and slice of cake, I don't normally eat my own cake but I really enjoyed it after all that work :cloud9:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 15
And this was for my son's 4th birthday. I can honestly say that this was the hardest cake I have ever done! It wasn't difficult because of detail or anything it was because I had a newborn. I literally had him in the moby wrap the whole time as he literally couldn't be put down, even daddy wouldn't do it had to be me!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 10
Side view x

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 3
They are amazing, I really love the picture of the midwife cutting the cake! That's a lovely picture to keep!

this is the cake I made for my daughters 5th birthday image1 (2).JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->