cake making and baking - ALL WELCOME

Wow those cupcakes look amazing!!! Is there a special technique to piping? Or is it just a case of trial and error?

You just need to practice I guess. I got a lot of info from online tutorials. I also bought a case of 50 cheap nozzles with a coupler from amazon for something like £8 just to practice with. I made a huge batch of buttercream and tried all my nozzles, just piping back into the bowl of buttercream so I could reuse it.

I love piping rose buttercream cupcakes, I would love to learn royal icing piping!

Modelling is my forté, he's a little guy I made over the weekend...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 6
Hey all! I am starting to practice modelling for my daughters first birthday. I am using Renshaw Regalice but am finding as soon as I start doing anything it just seems to droop, I rolled up different sizes of balls but after about 5 minutes they all looked like they were melting.

Is there anything I can add to the icing to make it firmer?

Sainsburys does a modelling icing which is fab! You could try adding tylose to your sugar paste? If you wanted something super strong google Mexican modelling paste recipes :)

Wss^
I prefer flower paste to Mexican modelling paste, it just seems to work better for me!

Have you tried adding powdered sugar? or would that not work? I don't use much paste or fondant type stuff, just buttercream.

Is Gum Tragacanth the same idea? I picked up a pot a while ago without knowing what it really was

Same thing :) I'm making a Mickey Mouse clubhouse this evening so will be using lots :)

Hi ladies wonder if anyone can help me. Im doing a marvel cake for LOs 3rd birthday and i saw in a couple tutorials it suggests painting the white icing with the desired colour, what would i use to paint ? Is it food colouring?

i made this for my daughters 4th birthday im rather pleased with how it turned out usually something goes wrong!!!
https://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y523/shellbell181/2014-01-17205801_zps7b4897fb.jpg

Hi ladies wonder if anyone can help me. Im doing a marvel cake for LOs 3rd birthday and i saw in a couple tutorials it suggests painting the white icing with the desired colour, what would i use to paint ? Is it food colouring?

Hiya :flower:

If you want to paint colour on yeah you can use food colouring like a gel or a paste type mixed with either clear alcohol or you can get a 'rejuvenating liquid' or you can mix with clear flavouring (as it's mostly alcohol)

I would personally find it really hard to get a nice finish on big areas using this method (an airbrush would be best but I haven't got one) so I would always tend to use fondant in the required colour.

Does that help at all if not let me know ! Xx

i made this for my daughters 4th birthday im rather pleased with how it turned out usually something goes wrong!!!
https://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y523/shellbell181/2014-01-17205801_zps7b4897fb.jpg

That is absolutely brilliant I love the house and also how you've done the board! :flower:

Hiya :flower:

If you want to paint colour on yeah you can use food colouring like a gel or a paste type mixed with either clear alcohol or you can get a 'rejuvenating liquid' or you can mix with clear flavouring (as it's mostly alcohol)

I would personally find it really hard to get a nice finish on big areas using this method (an airbrush would be best but I haven't got one) so I would always tend to use fondant in the required colour.

Does that help at all if not let me know ! Xx

Thank you. I think ill stick to fondant for the large areas and paint any tiny areas. I was just curious, i painted a test run cake from LOs first birthday Nd i remember the fondant went all sticky and gross.
Might maybe to the outline in paint but will see how much energy i have after a 4 tier marvel cake.

Ooo 4 tier marvel cake sounds very exciting!

Meant to say too I do generally use fondant for everything, but sometimes use buttercream or piped royal icing to add detail :)

Meant to say too I do generally use fondant for everything, but sometimes use buttercream or piped royal icing to add detail :)

Thank you. Iv never tried royal icing. Is that the one you make from scratch for cookies, the one you use to flood the cookies etc?

Not quite sure how this cake will work out tbh. Not sure i will have much energy. OH has said he will help it may all end in tears. Thats why i need to do a test run soon. I saw the picture on fb and knew LO would love it. Not quite sure how to mould the hulks fist yet.
Thinking about it im quite sure ill be the pregnant lady hiding in a corner crying because my cake looks crap.

P.s tht doc mcstuffins cake is brilliant.

Thank you. Iv never tried royal icing. Is that the one you make from scratch for cookies, the one you use to flood the cookies etc?

Not quite sure how this cake will work out tbh. Not sure i will have much energy. OH has said he will help it may all end in tears. Thats why i need to do a test run soon. I saw the picture on fb and knew LO would love it. Not quite sure how to mould the hulks fist yet.
Thinking about it im quite sure ill be the pregnant lady hiding in a corner
crying because my cake looks crap.

P.s tht doc mcstuffins cake is brilliant.

Lol sounds like me half way through every cake I do:blush:

Yeah I will sometimes make it with icing sugar and egg whites but most of the time I try to have a box of royal icing sugar in for quickness.

You could use Rice Krispie treats to do the fist maybe? Depends how big it is, as if it's not very big modelling paste would be ok.

I'm sure it will all come together in the end, xx

Im back with more questions. Lo wants 4 superheros plus the hulk fist. But i think if i make a normal sized cake thatbig we will be eating cake till next year. So thought of making smaller ones. I think the only round cake tin i have is 8" so that would be the bigest tier. Can i buy smaller cake boards?

Hi ladies, I have been looking through this thread for weeks and weeks and wow you all have amazing talent! I'm going to make my babies 1st birthday cake in 3 weeks, I made my toddlers 1st cake and it was ok, I thought it was pretty pants but everyone said it was good, although probably being kind lol.
I making her a ladybird cake, going to try and make the cake in a Pyrex bowl so I have the shape and then cover with black and red ready to roll icing!
My question is: or rather are:
How much of each ingredient for a glass bowl?
And once its cooked and cooled do I cut it through the middle to add butter icing/jam like you would put between a Victoria sponge otherwise isn't it going to be really dry just sponge and ready roll icing?

Sorry for the silly questions but I'm the worlds worst baker lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->