cake making and baking - ALL WELCOME

jenkins

Reaction score
The other thread was brilliant to read, it took me quite a while though lol!!

I was gutted when I got towards the end and realised that many of the people who had been really active in the thread weren't around any more.

How about a nice new one?

For old and new faces, all welcome, from anyone just wanting to try and bake something all the way through to those doing it for a living.

I really hope we can get some momentum going!

I've only recently started making cakes - it has been a very steep learning curve!!

I would absolutely love to share all I have learned so far and hopefully get help from others too:flower:

So welcome!!! and if this flops then ...................:blush:

I've attached a pic of the first cake I ever made for my son's 2nd birthday. He loves curious George and I couldn't find a cake hence me taking the plunge and giving it a go!!

Attachments

• mbday.jpg
    mbday.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 79
That cake is amazing! You have done really well.

I taught myself how to make cakes and am pretty good at the actual cake part (I think I have only had one disaster where I was trying to fix my nan's cake baking issues). I can do lots of different cakes fairly easily and quite often adapt the recipes. I can even make little roses. But I struggle with just simple icing. My Christmas cake was a bit of an embarassment (looks wise), and has been every year I have made a Christmas cake. The marzipan layer was OK, but when I put the fondant icing on, I made it way too thin and it looked bad. I can never get my icing smooth. How have you gotten yours so smooth?

Welcome!:happydance:

Aww thanks, trust me though, those stripes, stars and circles covered ALOT of mistakes lol!

I use a smoother with really does make a massive difference.

Will upload more pics later:flower:

my 2nd cake for my little sis who had just had my niece Scarlett

Attachments

• ppbnb2.jpg
    ppbnb2.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 50
  • bnbnic.jpg
    bnbnic.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 25
3rd and 4th!

Attachments

• ppbnb3.jpg
    ppbnb3.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 48
  • ppbnb4.jpg
    ppbnb4.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 37
5th and 6th!!

Attachments

• ppbnb5.jpg
    ppbnb5.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 32
  • ppbnb6.jpg
    ppbnb6.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 29
7th and 8th and I'll stop now lol

Attachments

• ppbnb7.jpg
    ppbnb7.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 20
  • ppbnb8.jpg
    ppbnb8.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 22
I never thought to use a smoother. Might have to get myself one.

Your cakes look amazing, I particularly love the boquet one. How long has it taken you to get this good at decorating them?

I never thought to use a smoother. Might have to get myself one.

Your cakes look amazing, I particularly love the boquet one. How long has it taken you to get this good at decorating them?

Yeah I'd definitely recommend getting one, gives you a really nice finish:thumbup:

I've read that professionals sometimes even use 2 at a time to get an even better finish, but not tried that yet lol

Aww thanks, it's all been a bit of a whirlwind really! The first one I ever did (the one in my first post) was quite a surprise that it turned out ok. It's literally the first cake I've ever cooked from scratch, never mind the decorating and tiers and everything! I watched loads of utube vids and googled a lot and just gave it a go really. That was for my sons birthday which was 26th august, then all the others above were done between then and Halloween really. I've
done another 3 or 4 since then and it's been such a massive learning curve. It's all so new to me so I have to keep looking things up all the time lol.

My family and friends can't believe it and ask why I've never done it before but I honestly didn't know I could :blush:

I've done some cupcakes inbetween too, which I don't mind doing, but don't really enjoy doing them as much as big cakes.

Each time I do a new cake I can see it's a bit better than the last one but I'm really critical of my work and can always see lots of imperfections and things I could have done better.

I made a Christmas cake this year and cut it into smaller portions. But when I iced them they looked terrible lol! So maybe it's a harder cake to ice in general, I don't know?

Will upload more pics when I'm next on the laptop:flower:

You only started in August? That is unbelievable!

I got a few books with cake decorating in them. I keep meaning to try them, but other than making some roses, that is as far as I have got with them.

I prefer big cakes, too. Although, for the last two Christmases, I have been meaning to have a go at making little penguin cakes. I haven't got round to them yet. I might have a go in the next few weeks. There are a few others I want to try, too. You may have inspired me to get on with them.

I posted a bit on the other thread but was also disappointed it didn't seem busy any more, maybe as it got sooooo long?

Love your cakes Jen, I remember your sons cake from the other thread, what a brilliant first attempt! The South Park one is great!

I make and decorate cakes as a hobby and have been doing to seriously for about a year now, although I had made the odd one before that. I'm thinking about making it a business, but I'm just not sure, partly as I do lack confidence where cake decorating is concerned and also it seems like such a huge step. :blush:

These are a few of my fairly recent cakes:

https://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e201/midori1999/57FB2068-1749-42C6-835D-4966332AFC00-1156-0000006AF71D9F86.jpg

https://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e201/midori1999/DA850B7E-49A9-4D6E-BF7F-31FCAD34E8B7-1156-0000006B08FCA999.jpg

https://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e201/midori1999/0D41F024-A030-4D52-AA02-644CC4A3412D-614-0000004AF5F2CCA0.jpg

https://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e201/midori1999/48D8E51A-1021-4207-8343-32F5E29D25D9-18309-000011BEE3157E1A.jpg

https://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e201/midori1999/66C2ABBE-D955-4C85-8A5D-FD6B647FC3C0-3399-000001EF7F92D456.jpg

Midori, they are really, really good. So detailed! Did you make the meercats yourself?

I think this weekend I am going to have to get baking.

You only started in August? That is unbelievable!

I got a few books with cake decorating in them. I keep meaning to try them, but other than making some roses, that is as far as I have got with them.

I prefer big cakes, too. Although, for the last two Christmases, I have been meaning to have a go at making little penguin cakes. I haven't got round to them yet. I might have a go in the next few weeks. There are a few others I want to try, too. You may have inspired me to get on with them.

Aww I really hope I have inspired you :)

That's why i really hope this thread takes off and we can all share ideas and help each other out:flower:

Hi Midori:happydance:

Wow they are brilliant! I particularly like the animal print one, really effective, it looks fab:thumbup:

Yeah I think the other thread was a bit overwhelming with it being so big.

Do you just do it for friends/aquaintences and family then at the mo? I bet you get asked all the time because your cakes really are professional standard.

I know I'm only brand new but I have been thinking about doing it professionally too. I just need to do loads more to practice and build a big portfolio.

I am on facebook though if anyone's interested I can pm you my page because I don't think I'm allowed to post it

:flower:

I run my own bakery from my house in my spare time......love making cakes. I am a food developer by trade too so I have a real passion for being innovative and creative.

I mainly focus on cupcakes - but will do larger cakes too. Just this Xmas I had 20 orders for Xmas cakes....word has got round that they are so good - slightly dreading next year!!

Tomorrow I am working on Double Chocolate & Covered Strawberry Cupcakes for work friends :)

I charge a lot - but then they are worth it ;)

Hi Sue_88 welcome!!:flower:

Wow it must be amazing to do it as a business when you love doing it too. Do you have a Facebook page/website?

Do you do wedding cakes?

Xx

Hi Jenkins! what do you use for the icing to get the colours so clean and bright? I use coloured royal icing but it just looks dull and dirty!! Oh and by the way all the cakes are gorgeous!!!!!

Hi Sue_88 welcome!!:flower:

Wow it must be amazing to do it as a business when you love doing it too. Do you have a Facebook page/website?

Do you do wedding cakes?

Xx

No, I don't have a page yet - when I decide to actually buy a bakery and take the business out of my home, I will start a website. However at the minute I rely soley on word of mouth, which works great for me as I already do 40 hours of work at my job & then up to 16 hours cakes throughout the week!

I have done two wedding cakes - one was a traditional 4 tier with different flavoured layers - very simple just white iced and ribbion. Then the 2nd was a small top tier and 50 handmade individual square cakes in boxes with ribbon. Very cute. (for the same wedding I also did 440 mini chocolate and raspberry cupcakes as dessert at the reception, and a CHEESE wedding cake)

All my photos are currently on my cake picture camera - I'll take some off and put some on here. :)

Some photos for you.....!

16th Birthday Cupcakes for a girl
20th Birthday cake for my sister
The Allotment Cake - for a gardener
Large Chocolate and Raspberry Cupcakes with decorative wrap
The Chocolate Garden Cake

Attachments

• 16th Birthday.jpg
    16th Birthday.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20th.jpg
    20th.jpg