Cake Making & Baking Group

I am making some 16 ones for a friends brother today so I cut out my numbers.. Hope my butterfly cutters and other stuff arrives today I wanna have a play.

Thanks for the link for the cupcake boxes but I'm not liking the P&p charges there! And they won't let me just buy 1 thing. Will have to look on ebay.

I've also been looking at stand mixers :cloud9: I'm going back to work full time next month (I wanted part-time but it's not an option at the moment) I'd quite like to treat myself and I figure a mixer will actually save me time... that's what I'm telling myself anyway :haha:
I love the look of the KitchenAids, but they're far too pricey. I quite like the Kenwood Kmix though, it's got really good reviews, looks funky and you can pick them up for around £250. Going to have a perve at some in the shops tomorrow.
I lurrrrve my Kenny, and would be lost without him now, I have the kenwood chef Premier, not sure how much it was as it was agift from OH and I got a bit scared when I googled :blush:
It came with a rubber K mixer mixer though and I find that attachment best for cupcakes as iit scrapes the bowl.

I'm now looking for a spare bowl though as I begrudge paying £51 for one!

Thanks for the link for the cupcake boxes but I'm not liking the P&p charges there! And they won't let me just buy 1 thing. Will have to look on ebay.
I wouldn't bother with Ebay, they seem over priced, CupcakeboxesUK is fab if you are odering in bulk but the charge for 1 is mental.

A lot of the links on the first page sell the boxes, but so do morrisons if you have one near you xx

I LOVE being nosy in this thread, your cakes are all amazing.
(
I do come with a question this time.

Before we moved house last month I was getting quite into my baking and had perfect size cupcakes and cakes.

Since moving, I've baked twice (cupcakes) and both times have been a disater! I think it's my gas oven? What temp should I be baking them at and should it really be making a diff (old house was electric cooker

xx

I'm going to order some flower paste - I think I'm better off working with the proper stuff as I'm a beginner! I still want to colour it myself though, how much flower paste would you say you used for your blossom cake? I'm notoriously tight when I guesstimate, and I'm always scared that I won't colour enough!

You'll only need one pack. As you can roll it really thinly a little goes a very long way. That cake in my picture was a 12" too sa pretty big. I think I bought 2 packs but only used one and it covered a 12" 9" and 6".

I'd love either a Kmix or Ktchen aid too, but I just can't justify it. x

Well I did some more research, read a shed load of reviews and eventually decided on this one:

https://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac169/CocoaOne/52ecc260.jpg

It's a Kenwood Prospero. It's a more compact version than the Chef but still has a 650W motor and a 4.3l bowl. It also comes with a food processor attachment for chopping and grating, a blender, and a juicer/liquidiser! All for £145!
It had loads of great reviews, the only downside being that it apparently struggles with larger bread doughs (which won't be a problem for me). It's not as pretty as the KA or Kmix, but I really couldn't justify spending the extra just for the awww factor.

It's in the box in the kitchen now, I'm dying to finish dinner and go and open it!

Thanks for the info Whoppy, I'll buy a pack.

Natasha - I've never used gas so I'm not sure, maybe google what the equivalent is? And then it'll just be trial and error?

I LOVE being nosy in this thread, your cakes are all amazing.
(
I do come with a question this time.

Before we moved house last month I was getting quite into my baking and had perfect size cupcakes and cakes.

Since moving, I've baked twice (cupcakes) and both times have been a disater! I think it's my gas oven? What temp should I be baking them at and should it really be making a diff (old house was electric cooker

xx
The difference between electric and gas can be huge so I understand
I bake on Gas 5, I had perfect ones on 6 before my oven packed in, it took a lot of trial and eror with my new one, but Gas 5 seems to be spot on

Well I did some more research, read a shed load of reviews and eventually decided on this one:

https://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac169/CocoaOne/52ecc260.jpg

It's a Kenwood Prospero. It's a more compact version than the Chef but still has a 650W motor and a 4.3l bowl. It also comes with a food processor attachment for chopping and grating, a blender, and a juicer/liquidiser! All for £145!
It had loads of great reviews, the only downside being that it apparently struggles with larger bread doughs (which won't be a problem for me). It's not as pretty as the KA or Kmix, but I really couldn't justify spending the extra just for the awww factor.

It's in the box in the kitchen now, I'm dying to finish dinner and go and open it!

Thanks for the info Whoppy, I'll buy a pack.

Natasha - I've never used gas so I'm not sure, maybe google what the equivalent is? And then it'll just be trial and error?
That is a cute dinky one, very much like mine but smaller, have fun x

Natasha - maybe get an oven thermometer and then put it in the oven on gas 5/6 etc and see what temp it is in there? Then you can adjust accordingly to the same temp you used to use in the electric oven?

I wouldn't bother with Ebay, they seem over priced, CupcakeboxesUK is fab if you are odering in bulk but the charge for 1 is mental.

A lot of the links on the first page sell the boxes, but so do morrisons if you have one near you xx

I agree. I dont use ebay for my boxes. I buy a few at a time though. Last lot I ordered 30 boxes because you will be surprised how quickly they go down! But at cupcakeboxesuk.com you can order 1 or 2 if thats all your after.

Blooming 'eck! Lol. I wish I could get one but at that price I cant justify it.

Any tips for making banana cake? I havnt made it before and i am going to do some mini banana cupcakes for Ella's birthday party as well as the cake.

Hello girls,

How much should I charge each for these cupcakes? A lady in work wants 30:flower:

https://i55.tinypic.com/2igdlz6.jpg

Any tips for making banana cake? I havnt made it before and i am going to do some mini banana cupcakes for Ella's birthday party as well as the cake.

I only make banana loaf...

Dunno if it would work in cupcakes... :wacko:

Beat 2 eggs and 270g soft brown sugar
Add 200g mashed bananas and beat
Add 280g plain flour, 1 tspn baking powder, 1 tspn bicarb soda, 1 tspn cinammon, 1 tspn ginger and mix.
Add 140g melted unsalted butter
Pour into a loaf tin and cook for 1 hour at 170'c

Another lovely lady off here gave it to me and it tastes ammmmazing. I made one last night.

x

I got some cupcake pods and they're fab!
https://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu166/LisaGandAmelia/IMAG0027.jpg

No blushing ladies, and I realise they're not anatomically correct but here are some cakes for a friends hen party. She asked for them to have, ummm, errrrr "juice" on them!!! I haven't bought myself to add any yet. Going to have some runny icing ready when she comes to pick them up and ask her if she really wants it adding PMSL
https://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu166/LisaGandAmelia/IMAG0025.jpg
https://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu166/LisaGandAmelia/IMAG0026.jpg

Hello girls,

How much should I charge each for these cupcakes? A lady in work wants 30:flower:

https://i55.tinypic.com/2igdlz6.jpg

Aww they're gorgeous! Are they in muffin sized cases? If so I'd say £1.60 each as there's a lot of work put into them and a lot of icing. So that's be £48. Maybe discount to £45?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->