Cake Making & Baking Group

Thanks Whoppy! I have looked for them but cant find them anywhere.

I've emailed her Laura.

Here's the birthday cake and cuppies I made for my friends LO's 2nd birthday. It's made to look like a picture she gave me.

https://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu166/LisaGandAmelia/183010_10150156010218420_789438419_8104295_7239159_n.jpg

Laura here you go - Cuppie pods. https://rfwpackaging.weebly.com/hinged-containers.html

Thank you......

Gonna go have a nosey now! Also gorgeous cake and cupcakes!!! Wish I could make cakes too

Had another :wacko: just now.. Lol.
Got asked how much 12 cupcakes were so I said how much and then she said how many for 8 then 6 and then 4.:wacko: So I told her all the prices and then she said I would of had some if they were cheap so I said if you want cheap go to sainsburys, Cheap cakes and nothing like mine at all.
:shrug: What they want them for 50p? Lol.. I'm a lot cheaper than some round here.

Some people really don't realise the work that goes into them especially if they are wanting butterflies or something a bit special that has to me made in advance.

I do mine for £1.25 each at the minute regardless if they are plain vanilla with a bit of sparkle or Choc orange with all the bits, I keep getting told I am underpricing but I dunno how to change, I've scared or quoting different prices for different things.

I havean order for baby shower ones and have had to order everything in for the toppers and the cases and I still only charged £30 for 24

Wallie I tend to do 3 cakes to then level off to get a decent heighted cake, couldn't tell you what size they are though, I use silicine moulds.

I tried to do a big one but it turned out very heavy, took forever to cook and burnt on the top :blush: tasted ok but I couldn't have given it to anyone

Jo I sat down and worked out what a basic mix was and then I worked out roughly some prices of the stuff I buy. I dont include any cutters and other bits because I would use them all the time so I would need them anyway! I also dont include my colouring cos its literally a drop here and there but I add cases and boxes to the price. When I actually see how much I spend on 1 batch I worked out my prices based on that. Now I have a lowest price for just plain buttercream and then I have my highest price for when I have to make things in advance. I also have a certain amount ordered and I give a discount.
It takes time but its worth it hun. Means you make something out of something you enjoy making. Its win win.

My SIL's wedding is in August and I am making her 80 cupcakes. She wanted a top cake but everyone quoted her madness because she said it was for a wedding so she is going to buy one from M&S and I am going to decorate it for her! Lol

If I buy fondant tomorrow and use the gum trag how long do I have to wait to start using it?

Thanks Laura, I did sit down and work it out at one point but I think I may have to do it again, especially if Choc fudge, lemon etc....
I don't charge for the colours etc.. as I have them in but someone wanted Black Black a while ago and I sucked that up but I think I should have charged a bit extra as it was £5 to buy.
I should work out an average price for each case as well as some cost more than others.

I just work the gum trag in well and then use straightaway, I think I will have to invest in some flower pastes though as you can get it thinner I beveive and is more plyable (?)

My mum loves lemon cupcakes and she paid £9.99 for the lemon extract that I use. Its lovely but expensive and things like that add up. Especially when you add in boxes.
I always think that when people turn their noses up at my prices they arent really worth making them for to be fair. They obviously dont think that work goes into making them. I work and I am a mum and I make cakes. They want them for next to nothing then they can go elsewhere.

I dont have any fondant so will do them tomorrow.. Do you just push the sides of the butterflies up?

Wow that must be a good one, do you have a link to it? I use the normal supermarket one, but nned quite a bit to get the taste, but is a balencing act that it doesn't taste odd with so much in lol.

Some people take the mick don't they? I did a tray for a school fete once and they seem to expect them all the time now, my best friend though who works at school actually said to them " do you realise the cost time and effort it takes? she can't just whip them up in an hour" :lol:

I normally leave my butterflies flat as they sit in cuppies, but i did once dry them around the inside edge of a baking tray so the wings were up x

Wallie the cake in my last pic (white with bright pink butterflies) is an 8 inch cake made using my recipe (6 egg). Is it as tall as you were thinking?

Laura if you leave the fondant and gum trag mix over night it'll be perfect for you. If you need something that works more quickly you can use Tylo/CMC they work within an hour.

I'm in no rush so will do it and leave it overnight. I'm looking forward to having a play with it. I Did some cupcakes today for a first birthday and the feedback I have got so far is amazing so I am going to bed on a high. It was a first 'proper' party as the rest were really for people to take to work and to share with their family so a few have asked for my details. Its nice isnt it? Lol.
Here is a pic of the lemon 'citron' I use. Its lovely and although its expensive you only need a few drops of it cos it really is strong. Every time I open my 'cupcake cupboard' the smell wafts out! :haha: The cheapest I have seen it is £7.95

I have also uploaded the cupcakes from today but not all as I borrow my mums camera and I dont have the pics on here.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 15
I got it from a cake store near me by the way and I found the website
https://www.deco-relief.fr/

I cut all the toppers myself, usually I just use what I have but have spent a fortune on cake cutters and bits. She was over the moon. So am I. First proper ones! Lol.

Can someone help me? My cousin started selling cupcakes after she see I was making them and she has pictures of chillies and she has done chilli chocolate. I can only assume they are made out of chocolate as I have carrots and bananas the same but I cant find them anywhere. Lol. Does anyone here know?

When i do cakes I use Jacqui's mix who used to be on here, before sockville days!
Weigh my eggs, and use same in caster sugar, stork and self raising flour, drop of vanilla extract and teaspoon of baking powder, although i am heavy handed with the baking powder! but they always come out dead flufy and light, and taste yummy!
She always told me to electic whisk the caster sugar and butter first for a good 5-10 mins, then add the flour and eggs half at a time, so it all mixes in well

I use a 5/6 mix for splitting between the 2 8inch cake tins, hth though im a novice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->