Cake Making & Baking Group

Laura they are amazing!!!

D day is nearly here! Ella's 1st birthday party is on Saturday. I am baking a chocolate cake with fondant and mini banana cupcakes. i dont know how i am going to ice them though as I dont have any nossels. Can i just roll up baking paper? Do I need the nossel?

I use a basic recipe and its amazing every single time. I dont change it when I add cocoa powder and I dont change it when I add coffee and they come out perfect each time.

MM - can you go to Target or a cake shop etc and see if they've got some nozzles? You can use parchment instead of bags but you really need a nozzle. They should only be a couple of bucks each. If you had bags, you could maybe cut a hole in the end and freestyle it :haha: Maybe try with some freezer bags? :shrug:

Laura - lovely cuppies! I've got no idea about the chillis..

Whoppy - beautiful display. So simple and elegant :flower:

Has anyone ever made Bakewell Tart tasting cupcakes??

I so wanna try but I dont know where to start..
would you flavour the sponge with almond essence? or shove a layer of marzipan insde and a squirt of jam?
Then I presume using just the thick white royal icing on top would be fine?

Any recipes much appreciated.. so I can try them out!

OH addicted to bakewell tarts at the moment! lol

Lovely cakes and cuppies by the way Ladies xxxx

Tsia - I'd flavour the sponge with almond essence (maybe add some ground almond in place of the flour :shrug:), pipe a tiny bit of cherry jam inside, top with some white fondant and then stick a cherry on top.

I'm sure there are plenty of other ways you could do it though! Have you googled?

Has anyone ever made Bakewell Tart tasting cupcakes??

I so wanna try but I dont know where to start..
would you flavour the sponge with almond essence? or shove a layer of marzipan insde and a squirt of jam?
Then I presume using just the thick white royal icing on top would be fine?

Any recipes much appreciated.. so I can try them out!

OH addicted to bakewell tarts at the moment! lol

Lovely cakes and cuppies by the way Ladies xxxx

I've been thinking of these as well.
I was going to almond sponge, a layer of jam them some fondant Icing, but the stuff you make up yourself (green box-silverspoon) so it is still soft to bite into, I haven't tried as yer but have all the stuff in.

Cherries in the sponge could work as well x

Thanks for all your comments ladies on a 8 inch round cake recipe. In the end I did the recipe using 4 eggs (weighed) then weighed out the same in s/r flour, sugar, butter, 1tsp of vanilla essense and 60ml of milk. So in the end I did a sponge cake with three layers with jam and buttercream between the layers. My pictures are attached and I'm happy with the height, it's what I was after. Next time I'll do the same but with 6 eggs and separate between the two 8inch tins.

So I'm going to the florist tomorrow to get a topper for it though to give it some height. It's not bad though eh?

Attachments

• DSCF1263.jpg
    DSCF1263.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF1265.jpg
    DSCF1265.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 9
Thanks
CocoaOne I have been googling for my life...! lol
theres Sooooo many different ways.. just wondered if anyone has the best tried and tested method..

thats a good idea Jo.. chopped cherries in the mix..
how do I stop them sinking or floating in the sponge??

Wallie that cake is beautiful!

Ooooh I couldnt wait.. so I dived right in and just thought I would have a first attempt at them.. what dya think?

they taste sooooo nice! lol

https://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s51/tsia977/customised%20buggys/cakes%20n%20stuff/06032011768.jpg https://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s51/tsia977/customised%20buggys/cakes%20n%20stuff/06032011767.jpg https://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s51/tsia977/customised%20buggys/cakes%20n%20stuff/06032011766.jpg

Tsia - Oh they look delicious! How did you do them in the end?

Wallie - it looks fab! Very pretty :flower:

I've been making a chocolate cake for my friend today, and nothing has gone right with it so far! The mix curdled after I added the egg, the cakes went all weird and bubbly in the oven, but luckily they look ok now, then LO started getting whingey just after I added the melted chocolate to the butter for the buttercream, so it had gone rock solid by the time I went back to it :dohh: I had to reheat the whole lot over a pan of hot water, which then all curdled funny, so I had to put it back in the fridge to set and I've only just got it back to room temp so I can blend it again. OH says it tastes ok...

I'm dreading icing it now :haha:

Thanks! My cake baking yesterday was just like yours, a disaster from start to finish. Glad I finished my cake off today, it went so much better!

I had cupcakes to do today here are some pics.
My sister wanted some like this so I gave it a go. Im pleased with the outcome and had great feedback on my FB page. So I am happy.

I'd love to try a big cake but I am the type that if I fail I dont want to try again :haha:

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 7
CocaoOne I did normal sponge with almond essence and chopped glacier cherries inside the mix.
Then squirted a little rasberry Jam inside and iced and cherry..

They taste REALLY nice just like bakewells..

Other Half likes them too! :thumbup:

Hi ladies!

All these cakes look fantastic!

Some1 who works with my OH wants this cake

https://www.flickr.com/photos/missjane/3598524439/

I will use a plastic figure of upsy daisy and will be using fondant to cover it.

I just dont know what to charge?

She wants a 12" cake and it will be quite deep looking at it.

Any ideas?

Really appreciate the help x

I have a quick question. in choco cakes do you use cooking oil or butter? my recipes say cooking oil but instead i use butter

I had cupcakes to do today here are some pics.
My sister wanted some like this so I gave it a go. Im pleased with the outcome and had great feedback on my FB page. So I am happy.

I'd love to try a big cake but I am the type that if I fail I dont want to try again :haha:

LOOOVVEEEE :thumbup:

Laura - they are gorgeous! So pretty and summery

MM - does it say to just use oil, no butter at all? I know some people add a small amount of oil to their choc cake mix to make it moister. I usually just do the normal sponge recipe (weigh eggs and then same weight of sr flour, sugar and stork marg) and then take out 3tbsp of flour and replace with 3tbsp cocoa powder. I think I did put a tbsp of oil in my last choc cake though... I always forget why I've done :dohh:

Bertie - I haven't got a clue I'm afraid! Hopefully one of the others will have some advice :flower:

Well my cake didn't turn out too bad in the end. There is still plenty I need to learn though! I didn't use enough fondant again (I'm such a tight arse!) so I re-rolled it and it ended up a bit dry because of the icing sugar on it from the first rolling. But I covered the cake with no rips or tears this time. I dint have a clue how to decorate it so it's very basic, inspiration deserted me at 10pm last night...
https://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac169/CocoaOne/d6c824d6.jpghttps://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac169/CocoaOne/d5b1086c.jpg

My friend is a week overdue and we call her LO Roo. Need to get a ribbon for the bottom.

Does anyone else constantly poke the icing with their nails? I completely buggered the top up! My nails are short too. Maybe disposable gloves will help?
First time I've used tappits - they weren't too hard to use after reading all the advice on here, but a bitch to put in place on the cakes! Any tips for how to do it easier?

Thanks everyone! I loved the colours, I have someone who wants them for mothers day but in pink and yellow.

I have only ever seen recipes using cooking oil from packet cake mixes. Maybe try it and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->