Cake Making & Baking Group

Gorgeous roses Hannah's Mom!

I use a basic Victoria sponge recipe - 6 eggs/300g sugar/Marg/flour & vanilla for 2 8" tins. If I want a massively deep 8" cake, I use 8 eggs, 600g sugar/Marg/flour split between 2 tins.

I wouldn't bake/ice more than two days in advance, and I've got no idea how long they last as I never make them for myself (and if I did, I imagine it would be gone pretty quickly!) but I'd say at least 5-7 days, but obviously wouldn't taste as good as fresh.

Thanks for all the choc ideas- I think I'm just not putting enough in. I don't really like chocolate cake, so it's hard for me to tell!

Cases - I think the greasepaint ones I've got are culpitt. I'll double check that, they definitely peeled loads. Laura - I've ordered some from BDB, so I'll see how I get on with those.

I used to love Culpitt, then I used them and they started to peel away. Wonder if it was a dodgy batch because before that I hadnt had any problems. I prefer the ones from BDB anyway, still has lots of Culpitt in my cupboard though so need to use them up.

Aaargh!

Ladies, what fondant do you use for covering your big cakes? I made my own using silver spoon fondant sugar and by the time I'd rolled it and put it on (I did it fast too!) it had dried out and fell apart all over the cake!

Help :(

Aaargh!

Ladies, what fondant do you use for covering your big cakes? I made my own using silver spoon fondant sugar and by the time I'd rolled it and put it on (I did it fast too!) it had dried out and fell apart all over the cake!

I use Regalice and have never had problems with it :thumbup:

Aaargh!

Do you make it yourself or get ready made?

Aaargh!

Do you make it yourself or get ready made?

ready made! I have never made i myself - i imagine that would be a nightmare. You can buy regalice online from prety much any cake decorating supply shop

Ive tried to make it myself and its not as good.

Buy it ready made :thumbup:

LAura if you want rid of the culpitt ones and want to do me a deal just shout lol xx

I had a nightmare with regalice the last time I used, just seemed really hard to work with for some reason.
After a freak out and OH looking scared he went to the CO-OP for me and it went on like a dream.
So I would recomend CO-OP anytime, not bad price either

Right, mercy dash to the shops today it is!

OH still doesn't know the cake is for him and keeps telling me to leave it as it is :dohh:

I've never made my own Fondant, I but any ready made from whatever supermarket I'm in!
Asda, tesco, Morrissons and dr oetker are all good!

I've found regal ice very sticky lately so have avoided it!

Marshmallow fondant is not actually that difficult to make and tastes soooo much better than ready made. I hate fondant but can tolerate marshmallow fondant, at least for 1 piece of cake. Can't eat it on it's own like DH and MIL can. It's quite fun and satisfying to make yourself, if you're just doing 1 cake I'd recommend it... if it's daily however, nah uh. Too much hassle compared to ready made.

I've gotten bored of youtube-ing, has anyone got links bookedmarked by any chance that show how to do the flower cupcakes? Any and all types are welcome =)

Kitty, they are just odds and sods really like 12 of blue 24 pink butterflies and so on. I will just use them rather than bore you with all the different ones in the cupboard lol. There is loads but all mixed up.

I usually use regalice, but sometimes use Tesco. I've got a box of that silverspoon make-it-yourself icing but haven't used it yet..

More advice please girls! A friend's friend has asked for a quote for a wedding cake, I haven't asked for more details yet but this is pretty much what she wants:
3 tier heartshaped victoria sponge, decorated with strawberries, raspberries and a few roses (presume real but need to check), presume she wants 10/8/6" cakes.

How much would you quote? It's not until May, would probably have to go to venue and assemble cake or fruit will move/bleed everywhere. Would have to buy or rent heartshaped tins as I'm not sure I could carve good enough hearts. I usually charge £20-25 per celebration cake (earning about £2 per hour :rofl:)

Ta in advance!

I finished the cake at last!!

It looks a bit lumpy but that's from hacking off the crap icing lol. I used coop icing and it's amazing!

OH Loves it bless him.

https://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad323/Tiggylou/8787072f.jpg

https://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad323/Tiggylou/17b7d2d6.jpg

What do you think for a first ever attempt at a fondant cake?

Well done Emmy!!! :)

Cocoa, have you worked out the cost of your ingredients? Work that out and then see what you think is acceptable to earn per hour. I definitely wouldnt want to do it for just £2 an hour. Its hard work. Plus yeah I would probably hire one if I had no room to store it afterwards.

I was wondering if anyone has a healthy Banana Muffin recipe (i.e. no sugar)? I have one in a cook book, but when trying it, the muffins didn't rise as much as I would have liked them to and came out soggy inside (even though I baked them twice as long as instruced as they didn't look ready.

Piperette you might need to have a really low temperature and bake them for a while. I dont have a recipe sorry.

I went to Hobbycraft and got myself a storage unit for all my cake bits because it was starting to take over all the cupboards and drawers in my kitchen lol.

I ended up getting some Wilton gel and wow! The pink is so much nicer than the pink sugarflair. :) will be going back to get some more at some point

Here's my latest batch of cakes-

Chocolate fudge with vanilla frosting :)

https://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad323/Tiggylou/93cb85e9.jpg
https://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad323/Tiggylou/b62276ef.jpg

Emmy they are really pretty :)

I just ran out of cake cases half way through a batch :( thought i had loads left! guess i have to go back out, still have another 2 batches to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->