Cake Making & Baking Group

Hi everyone...im in need of help!

Im not part of the cake baking group but i would like a little advice if thats ok? :D

So im getting married next june and i would like to decorate my own wedding cake.

Im looking to buy a cake stand or hire one maybe,in like an S shape...like this one https://www.rainbowsugarcraft.co.uk/shop/Three_Tier_S_Cake_Stand.htm

Also im wanting to buy my cakes ready made and with white icing iykwim? just plain white cakes in 3 different sizes and ill decorate them with my own design.

So me few questions are....

1. where can i buy or hire a reasonably priced cake stand like the one above from?
2.where can i get the plain cakes from?
3. Im in need of help with a design...and as you ladies are very creative :D could someone please help me? :flower: My theme is black/red/white.

Any help would be great:flower:

I'm doing a cake making course :happydance: can't start until Easter though. But I am so looking forward to it!! :) xx

i would kill to do a course......there arent any near me though :(

connahs mummy.....you can buy ready made iced ones (plain) from asda, and marks n spencers. stands....usually can be hired from your local cake decorating shop.
as for designs.....theres LOADS, just type black and white wedding cake into google images.
ive only done one black and white cake....this was a practise .slight whimsical (what they call topsy turvy):
https://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v248/21/107/509248322/n509248322_528331_6695.jpg

Well I have an order for valentines cupcakes so will be making those tomorrow :D x

To all of you that charge for cakes!....

Do you get alot of negative feedback for your prices?
I am estimating my cakes all wrong and so far nearly every cake I have made for sale, has been at a loss :dohh:

It's all good practice etc but now everyone around here thinks their cake should be as cheap!
It is partly my fault too because once I get started decorating one I add extras which means the costs add up too!
Like the Hello Kitty Cake, cost me around £35..... I only charged £25 and now she wants another one in a few weeks for the same price and I want to say yes but I know I will end up doing it at a loss again!

And then there is the 2 orders I got last week, one for a detailed fireengine and fireman sam, she wants to pay £25..... its just not do-able for that price then the other one is for her daughters birthday a week later, she wants a 2 tier stacked dora explorer one for £25!!!!!!!

:help:!!!!

TBH hun I would tell them thats it not doable and that you would loose out at that price. I think its a bit cheeky asking you to do a 2 tiered dora cake for the same price as a tiered cake! Cheeky moo!

I would say that you would give a price per cake when you sort out the design so you know roughly how much it is going to cost.

TBH I think you should be charging more for your cakes they are lovely! x

Aww hun.can you do a list? ie single cakes such a price,character cakes another price and charge for ickle extras? I make cakes and sell them out occasionly but it's the icing that mounts up.then the board etc,I used to say £30 for anything but realised after my last that it's not always right so i put in the prices of boards etc If i do more cakes I may look at going to a wholesaler to knock prices down.I do go to cash n carry and get my ingredients x

andrea, dont let them tell u what they want to pay....u give them a price and if they dont want to pay it, its their loss and they will have to get a squished dry one from asda LOL
youll find though some people want something...that extra bit more special..and will pay.
dont ever make them at a loss....i did that alot in the past n it drove my family mad!! i was spending time away from my kids....to make someone else a cake. they should be paying u enough so that maybe then that extra bit of money can be spent on a day out with the kids rather than spending time away from them for nothing?! if that makes sense LOL

caitlins mum.....arent u starting the cupcakes abit early? they might be abit stale by time valentines day comes?? why not make them on the 12th? be sure to post piccies :)

btw...andrea, ur customers dont want much do they?! LOL id tell them they can hop it, they are taking the piss asking for it at that price, ive had to start turning people down who expect a cake for £20

LOL thats what OH said this morning, he went on a big rant about how they are one of a kind personalised cakes and tell them to get a couple of rubbish ones from tesco if thats what they want to spend!

A girl off here, I am making a cake for her mums birthday and she has said to she wants it to be special and is willing to pay extra for it :)

I think its because I am really starting to enjoy it and want to keep the orders coming and feel like if I turn them away i wont get anymore people wanting them!

You are right about it taking family time away though Tracey, on a pretty straight forward cake it uses up a whole day, which is like working so you are right, we should be paid for that!

Another quick question girls! After Zoe saying that she buys wholesale got me thinking!

When I am making a cake, I tend to use top brand stuff, free range eggs, the best jam etc...
Do you think it needs to be that way or would I get away with cutting back a bit on brands of eggs, flour etc?

Sponge cakes last around 5 days, so if I make them tomorrow it will be fine.

I cant make them any later as they are being sent via courier and they will be picking them up on Thursday and delivering them Friday as it costs too much for Saturday delivery

i would kill to do a course......there arent any near me though :(

connahs mummy.....you can buy ready made iced ones (plain) from asda, and marks n spencers. stands....usually can be hired from your local cake decorating shop.
as for designs.....theres LOADS, just type black and white wedding cake into google images.
ive only done one black and white cake....this was a practise .slight whimsical (what they call topsy turvy):
https://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v248/21/107/509248322/n509248322_528331_6695.jpg

Thanks hun!

Btw that cake look great :D

andrea, i buy tesco value jam!! and value flour etc.....u dont need to use the other stuff....the only branded stuff i buy is stork marg....thats it.
as for buying wholesale...i have a wholesaler for icing etc.....and its not really worth it even though im so busy with cakes all the time they want me to spent about £1500 a year.....it just cant be done LOL

o they are being sent by courrier? god that will cost abit wont it? i hope they dont chuck the box around....i once ordered a baby matress and cot and caught the bloke hurling my matress out of the van and into the mud!! it was in the packaging...but thats not the point,i could have killed him!! LOL
true....sponge cakes do last 5 days...but thats usually a whole sponge...covered in fondant and uncut....i think its a different matter for cupcakes.
ive got some chocolate and mint ones in the oven now for my mums birthday 2moro....when those are done, im starting on some toffee ones :)

connahs mummy, no prob hun...and thanks!!
i know someone who decorated their own black and white cake....thje bought the iced cakes from marks n spencer...and as they werent too good with icing and fondant, they bought some black ribbon bows n simply pinned them on!! theres so many different things u can do.....what sort of cake do u like? seen any u fancy yet?

thats it then! I'm buying basics next time!

What courier did you end up going with Kelly? I would write all ove rthe box what is in them and what way up to have them so they dont get totally destroyed!
Would have to agree on the 5 days for cupcakes though, I'd say more like 2 or 3 at a push. They are much better fresh, do you know what time the courier is picking them up?
Maybe you could make them on the Thursday morning?
They dont keep as well as a full sponge :nope:

I was going to say its bad luck to ice your own wedding cake Connahs Mummy but its ok cos you wont be icing it, just decorating!

I am just a superstitious old mare though!

is that true andrea?? i wanted to make my own wedding cake when the day came???
ive never heard that one before?

LOL in my world it is! I use to have a massive book of superstitions and it came from there.

I nagged my sister about it when she was getting married to the point that she made her cakes for her wedding day, got a friend to ice them annd then added the decor herself!!

Its probably a load of old tosh but I am am very superstitious!

Ok seriously though Andrea... when are you sending ME some cupcakes?? :lol:

LOL just had a quick google and theres a few places that say dont decorate it some say dont bake it!....

LOL Bex, I'd send you some but they would be a big huge mess in the box when they got there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->