Cake Making & Baking Group

x_Rainbow_x

Reaction score
The last few months iv really been getting in to my cake making, iv had some really bad disasters (sp*) and some really good results.

Thought we can share pictures and recipes and give advice. Im still very rust on my cake making :)

As requested heres some of the yummy recipes/tips given by the girls on this thread...if anyone would like to add any please PM me (xxxjacxxx not tracie)

Buttercream recipes
125g of softened butter
8oz of icing sugar
vanilla or almond extract to flavour (my fav is almond!)
a few drops of milk to make it all fluffy
and a few drops of whatever colour you want to use

White buttercream
1-1/3 cups Cricso (Trex)
1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, depending on consistency needed
3 Tbsp powdered Dream Whip (*) (dream topping)
2-3 Tbsp clear vanilla, depending on your personal taste
2 lbs powdered sugar (icing sugar)
Holly's Cream cheese frosting
For my buttercream i use
100g butter
200g cream cheese
600g icing sugar
and thats enough to pipe 12 - 14
Holly's Glaze
My glaze i use 75g of caster sugar and 5 tbsps of water, bring to the boil and then let cool, then add your flavouring. I brush it with a pastry brush over the cooled cakes and it really holds its flavour aswell as giving a slightly tacky surface to help the icing stick!!
PinkGirls Mars Bar Cup Cakes
• 100g butter, chopped
• 100g white chocolate chips
• 100g muscovado sugar (or dark brown sugar)
• 90ml hot water
• 1 teaspoon golden syrup
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1 eggs at room temperature
• 1 cup plain flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 Mars Bars chopped into 9 pieces
Andrea's cheese scone recipes
8oz SR flour
3oz Butter
pinch of salt
grinding of pepper
tsp of garlic powder
1/4 tsp mustard powder
3oz strong mature cheddar
3-4 Fl Oz milk

Add the mustard, salt, garlic to the flour, rub in the butter. Then add the cheese.
Gradually add the milk till it forms a ball, gently knead it then roll out and cut into circles about 2cm thick

Brush with Milk then

Bake for about 12-15 mins at 180degree
Lavender cupcakes
Makes 2 dozen
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
1 1/3 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Lavender Icing
Sugared Flowers

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 standard 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt.
Put butter and chocolate into a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water; stir until smooth. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly.
With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat chocolate and sugar for 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until combined. Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture; beat until just combined.
Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Bake until set and a cake tester inserted into centers comes out clean, about 18 minutes. Transfer to wire racks; let cool completely.
Spoon icing over cupcakes, covering tops completely. Let set, about 1 hour. Decorate with sugared flowers. Cupcakes can be stored in single layers in airtight containers for up to 2 days.
lavender icing recipe:
Makes enough for 2 dozen cupcakes
1/3 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon dried lavender
3 cups confectioners' sugar
Violet gel-paste food coloring

Directions
Bring milk and lavender just to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat, and let steep 10 minutes. Strain, and discard lavender. Whisk in sugar until smooth. Strain again. Add food coloring until desired shade. Use immediately.
Gemgti's Mini carrot cake's
Carrot cakes

Ingredients

*1 lemon
*1 orange
*15ml/ 1 tbsp caster sugar
*225g/ 8oz butter
*225g/ 8oz soft light brown sugar
*4 eggs
*225g/8oz carrots grated
*115g/ 4oz sultanas
*225g/ 8oz self raising wholemeal flour
*5ml/ 1 tsp baking powder

you can add cinnamon if you like

Topping

*50g/ 2oz caster sugar
*1 egg white

Method

1. preheat oven to 180, lightly grease 8" loose based cake tin and line the base with a circle of greaseproof paper

2. finely grate the lemon and orange. Put about half the rind selecting the longest sgreds in a bowl and mix with the caster sugar. Arrange the sugar coated rind on a sheet of greaseproof paper and leave in a warm place to dry thoroughly.

3. cream the butter and sugar untill pale and fluffy. Add the eggs gradually, then beat well. Stir in the unsugared rinds and grated carrot, 30ml/ 2 tbsp orange uice and the sultanas.

4. Gradually fold in the flour and baking powder, and tip into the prepared tin. Bake for 1 1/2 hours until risen, golden and just firm.

5. Leave the cake to cool slightly in the tin then turn out on to a serving plate.

6. To make the topping place the caster sugar in a bowl over boiling water with 30ml/ 2 tbsp
of the remaining orange juice. stir over the heat until the sugar begins to dissolve. Remove from the heat add the egg white and salt and whisk for 1 minute with an electric beater.

7. Return to the heat and whisk for about 6 minutes untill the mixture become thick and glossy, holding a good shape. Allow to cool slightly, whisking frequently.

8. Swirl the cooked meringue topping over the cake and leave to firm up for 1 hour. To serve sprinkle with the sugared lemon and orange rind, which should now be dry and crumbly.
How to make a tiered cake
https://www.cheap-wedding-success.co.uk/how-do-i-assemble-a-three-tier-cake.html

LINKS TO ONLINE SHOPS
https://www.craftcompany.co.uk/
https://www.cupcakeboxesuk.com/
https://www.cakecraftworld.co.uk/
https://www.cakesandfavours.co.uk/
https://www.design-a-cake.co.uk/

https://www.cake-stuff.com/

Coconut cake
It is a dead easy recipe-meant for a cake
1 1/2 Cups SR flour
1 Egg
1/2 tsp lemon essence
3/4 cup sugar
4 tbls butter-melted
1/2 cup of milk
3/4 cup coconut
Makes about 12 muffin size, I doubled it though
The strange thing is that they don't really colour as they cook, so look a bit pasty.

Wallie's Carrot Cake
Carrot Cake

7oz Sunflower Oil
7oz Soft Brown Sugar
4 Free Range Eggs
4 tblsp Clear Honey
8oz Plain Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
6oz carrots, grated
butter for greasing tin

Orange Cream Cheese Icing

450g of Icing Sugar
175g Cream Cheese
125g Unsalted butter
Grated zest of 1 large orange

Oven 180/160 fan/gasmark 4

In a bowl whisk eggs, honey, oil and sugar until well combined

Stir in flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of Soda, salt, vanilla extract and carrots. Beat well.

Pour mixture into a lightly greased 9 inch cake tin (deep one), transfer to oven and bake for 1 hour until firm to the touch.

leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then transfer to cooling rack.

when cold cut through middle to make two layers. cover bottom slice with cream cheese icing, put the top on and ice the top and sides if you like.

Decorate with crushed walnuts around the sides and decorate with piping nozzle on top to make nice pattern.
Attached Imageshttps://www.babyandbump.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=74591&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1270924781

yummm I wish I could make cakes!! This groups gonna make me super hungry!!! :D:D:D

stick around you might learn how to.. its quite easy :) if i can do it anyone can

i LOVE baking cakes.
Every weekend I make a cake, it's a kind of tradition in our house. Sunday = baking day :)
x

I want to get into proper cake making but have no clue where to start :(

I'm here for the pictures and free samples.

lol @ raf.

i gotta make a cake for my dad this week hes stayed away from suger for 2 weeks just to have one of my cakes ( hes diabetic) I love it :) i do chocolate sponges with chocalate covering.. this is one i did before

View attachment 20289

How do you make your choc sponge? If you packet it, you're cheating :lol:

(8oz) butter or margarine
(8oz) caster sugar
4 eggs
(6oz) self-raising flour - sieved
(2oz) cocoa powder

i've just started making cakes and swear by 6oz of flour, sugar, butter, tea spoon baking powder and 3 eggs total fool proof!! :rofl:

That choc cake looks gorgeous *licks lips* lol.
I really want cake now, damn you girls haha.

Yay! I LOVE baking!

Here's some I made yesterday....
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l158/taperjean/DSC04607.jpg
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l158/taperjean/DSC04600-1.jpg

Looking for help with Muffins! Can't master them at all :hissy:

I LOVE baking, i'm officially in training as I'm making my friends wedding cake in September.

I am going to keep coming in here to look at your pics lol

Those cakes look gorgeous.
I can't master muffins either.
They just go wrong.
It's ridiculous lol.
x

LOL I will not let them defeat me! I got them to rise last night but with no additions apart from a few choc chips on the top!

My favourite book at the moment - 500 cupcakes and muffins - I spend hours just drooling over the recipes,

last week was gingerbread muffins - so so good for morning sickness :)

tonight it's going to be apple sauce and cinnamon muffins

hmmm I love baking :) trouble is the evidence is never around long enough for photographs :)

My favourite book at the moment - 500 cupcakes and muffins - I spend hours just drooling over the recipes,

last week was gingerbread muffins - so so good for morning sickness :)

tonight it's going to be apple sauce and cinnamon muffins

hmmm I love baking :) trouble is the evidence is never around long enough for photographs :)

Oh take a photo of your muffins to make me super jealous!!!

I love baking.I have an old fashioned recipe for sponge cakes and it works a treat.I make a xmas cake every september and I cover it brandy so when xmas comes you get knocked out on the fumes!I have done wedding cakes also.Even my own.I just made 2 cakes for a 16th and a 50th.I made a football which was a challenge and a half.

If you want any ideas or tips and i can help just shout!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->