Calling all dog owners......

emzky90

Reaction score
What do you feed your dog/bitch?

Wialer is a Rottweiler x Siberian Huskie we had him from a pup. He was an accidental litter and was started off on Bakers....:sad1:

We don't know a lot about dog nutrition but we looked it up and have come to realise Bakers if full of rubbish! Apparently bakers is the equivalent of feediing your dog on a diet of fizzy pop and takeaways. Funny and strange thing is though he seems to thrive on it? Everyone always comments on how glossy his coat is and he's in good health.

So i'm just wondering what you guys feed your dog(s)?

We're considering swapping him to wagg, apparently in nutrition world thats no better but is a step up from Bakers......:shrug:

Chester has Burns :) it's expensive though but he's little so doesn't eat too much! My mums retriever has Wagg x

Burns, symply & first class (now called More) are the best foods available for cats & dogs.

Bakers, pedigree, iams etc is full of animal derivitives (sp?) which is basically all the yucky bits of the animal us humans dont eat, also has high amount of cereals which fill the dog up but for a short amount of time, but they also cant digest this as dogs & cats are meat eaters. So it has no nutritional value.

Feel free to pm me if you want more info & i can find some websites to help you.

xx

Burns, symply & first class (now called More) are the best foods available for cats & dogs.

Bakers, pedigree, iams etc is full of animal derivitives (sp?) which is basically all the yucky bits of the animal us humans dont eat, also has high amount of cereals which fill the dog up but for a short amount of time, but they also cant digest this as dogs & cats are meat eaters. So it has no nutritional value.

Feel free to pm me if you want more info & i can find some websites to help you.

xx

I don't agree with IAMs being like this.

Alfie is on IAMS giant as he is a Deerhound. It is full of good stuff and vitamins for large dogs such as Gloucosamine. TMF but his poo is much healthier than when he's has anything else!

my mums dogs are on james wellbeloved (i think thats what its called! lol)

she has:-

king charles spaniel
border collie
jack russell X westie

x

My chihuahua and staffy have pedigree dry food and my german shepherd is raw fed as he has food allergies.

So im the only one whos dogs are fed on asdas Smart price complete? With the occasional tin of wet food?

My dads saluki x greyhound lived on this food until he was 19 ( or the equivilant food types), and died of natural causes. My dogs are healthy, wthin their weight range and never had any health issues.

:flower:

We feed our dog Bakers because he loves it. Tbh i have talked a few times with o/h about changing to something else because our dog is getting a little overweight now, but o/h just got 'bakers weight control' instead for now. xx

We feed ours Wainwrights from pets at home, its quite good, were going to switch to James Wellbeloved when this weeks food runs out as its meant to be the best.

So im the only one whos dogs are fed on asdas Smart price complete? With the occasional tin of wet food?

My dads saluki x greyhound lived on this food until he was 19 ( or the equivilant food types), and died of natural causes. My dogs are healthy, wthin their weight range and never had any health issues.

:flower:

My cat gets fed tesco pouches and biscuits she wont touch anything else! im sure most of it is the same ingridients as expensive ones x

Fish 4 dogs but my 15yr old staffy was fed on bakers and shes still ok xxx

When in the uk we used Arden Grange, out in NZ we use TUX biscuits

Our labrador x akita is fed on Autarky complete with a few spoonfuls of winalot or butchers canned, and a little cooked pasta.

My bichon was fed on James wellbeloved as he had allergies. We have just got a labradoodle puppy and he was fed on hills science plan but we have changed him to burns as it's a little cheaper

the big cheap bags of food from Home Bargains... £5 for 13kg..

No idea if it's any good for her, probably not the best by any stretch of the imagination but it's all I can afford, and I'd rather buy her cheap food than no food at all! :shrug:

Our dog (and cats) get their food bought from their vets, it's Royal Canin, but this is because he has specific dietry needs, as do 2 of the cats.

All my other dogs have had Bakers or Wagg :)

Jasper our dog is a colli x mountain dog. He gets what ever biscuets are on offer and bread. He loves it.

Both of our have James wellbeloved meat and biscuits, it's meant to be good for them. They both love it x

We feed Fish4dogs, but my preferred diet would be raw/BARF although for various reasons we can't.

Dogs are meant to have a diet as high in meat/fish as possible and plenty of complete foods only contain as little as 4% meat. :wacko: Plus, they use whatever ingredients are cheapest at the time, hence the ingredients list says 'minimum x% chicken' and 'cereals' as opposed to being more specific. Some even have sugar in them, Bakers is one of them IIRC.

Even 'premium' brands such as JWB and Burns only contain around 30% meat. However, they are better than most of the brands available. Fish for dogs is 60% fish and has no cereals in it. (cereals can frequently cause digestive problems and allergies in dogs) It's still far from perfect, but better than other easily available brands IMO.

Hi,
I have a pair of Rotties they are mainly fed pre-minced raw meat (tripe,beef,lamb etc) & a handful of working dog biscuits. They also get sardines & raw egg mixed in a couple times a week as its good for their coats. Oh also im naughty & they have what ever is left from our mealtimes,saves wasting it.
sarah

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->