Calling all incompetent cervix experts!

Discussion in 'Gestational Complications' started by rensben, Jan 27, 2011.

  1. rensben

    rensben Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2009
    Messages:
    422
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello everyone,

    Some of you may remember me from last year. I had an incompetent cervix and had an emergency cerclage put in at 20 weeks for a funneling 13mm long cervix. I ended up going into labour at 30 weeks and now have a 10 month old baby boy. I am pregnant again (11 weeks) and was told during my first pregnancy that I would need a stitch for all subsequent pregnancies. My new doctor (who forgets who I am each time I see her) isn't going to recommend a stitch right away. She wants to wait and see what happens! I do not want to go throughh what I went through last time and I think I should get a stitch to prevent my cervix from opening this time. So; my question is should I push for a stitch or just wait and see what happens? I would love to have your opinions. Thanks for reading
     
  2. Susanah

    Susanah Mummy to Charlie Jane

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2010
    Messages:
    156
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello
    Push for a stitch
    or change doctors
    Evidence show preventative stitch at 12-14 weeks has much much better outcome than wait and see approach
    And you should have consultant care early on this time.


    How can they not put a stitch in preventatively given your history ???!!!!

    Susanah
     
  3. Maybump2

    Maybump2 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2011
    Messages:
    73
    Likes Received:
    0
    I Agree.

    Congratulations hun!

    Not sure of the process in France but i would ask/change consultants if your request isn't taken seriously. Is her view to wait based on something that she considers more important/risky? If not then it's not her baby so if she can't back up her view with a reason then it doesn't make sense to me.

    Do you feel happy with the wait and see approach?
     
  4. AmyLouise89

    AmyLouise89 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2010
    Messages:
    549
    Likes Received:
    0
    I know what you are going through...I lost my last baby at 19 weeks 3 days and my OB is PRETTY POSITIVE I have incompetent cervix but he won't put a stitch in...says lets just see how it goes and if i lose this baby then he can "diagnose" me with incompetent cervix and stitch me next pregnancy..but i don't wanna go through losing another baby :( it's bullcrap and i'ma ask again for the stitch...i just got this bad feeling if he doesn't do the stitch. My problem is I don't have a selection on OB's so I gotta use him...I guess that's what I get though for living in the middle of no where, Oklahoma. :( I'm so depressed & scared!
     
  5. rensben

    rensben Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2009
    Messages:
    422
    Likes Received:
    0
    Oh hun..I'm so sorry for your loss. What a horrible thing to go through. I can't believe your doctor wants to see if you lose this one too. How awful! I am going to push for my stitch and I think you should too. No one should have to go through that again. I really wonder about doctors sometimes....
     
  6. lizziedripping

    lizziedripping Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2008
    Messages:
    3,849
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi Ren - lovely to see you here again. You don't really need to hear my thoughts on this hun, cos of course I'll always recommend a stitch to any lady with a second trimester loss or delivery. It makes total sense, really does work and why have the stress of a "wait and see" approach when a simple stitch can help save you and your baby. You can ask for a stitch, don't be fobbed off. Mine worked, and I'd never do pregnancy again without one.

    AmyLouise, I'd say exactly the same to you hun. You can push to be stitched - my consultant followed my lead when I said I'd find the pregnancy too stressful without one and wasn't prepared to wait to see how my cervix behaved. It makes me so angry when doctors seemingly dismiss the potential loss of a child, when an elective stitch could help prevent it. Let me know how you get on ladies xxx
     
  7. tennismom

    tennismom Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 12, 2009
    Messages:
    220
    Likes Received:
    0
    demand the stitich and progestrone shots -to keep the uterus calm AND steriod shots to mature the lungs once you hit 24 weeks!
     
  8. HelenGee

    HelenGee Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2010
    Messages:
    348
    Likes Received:
    0
    Demand the stitch and progesterone without a doubt. My stitch was placed at 20 weeks and the outlook from my consultant was pretty dire as she thought it was left too left and too many cervical changes had happened. I was 13mm with funneling. I had progesterone too and now have a 2 week old girl who was delivered at 38w3 weighing 8 pounds.
     
  9. ejsmom

    ejsmom Mom of 2 boys & expecting

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2010
    Messages:
    139
    Likes Received:
    0

    I would push for it. Cerclages have better success rate if done earlier..besides why risk shortening..then you are behind the 8 ball. My first cerclage was emergent..my next one was done 13 weeks or so..this one about 15 weeks. They are waiting that long because I had a trip planned already. They are placing 2 days after I get back. My HR doc feels it is still safe, so they are waiting but if not. then they would do it prior to my trip or tell me straight out to cancel it.

    Good luck..again. I would push for it.
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice