Calls to ban Bounty in maternity wards - let's hope!!

Bevziibubble

Reaction score
This was on the BBC news website earlier. There are calls to ban Bounty from maternity wards in hospitals following a survey. I am hoping that this will happen.

I've heard so many women who were pestered by the Bounty rep. I was sore from labour, having a blood transfusion and the Bounty rep gave me the impression that she was a professional at the hospital and giving my details was mandatory. She upset my baby with the camera, and because she didn't get the photo that she wanted, she came back again later and upset her all over again! Then she tried to pressure me into buying the photos, and 15 months later I still get junk emails off Bounty and other companies who they appear to have given my details to.

I think it's inconsiderate the way they target women who have just given birth and are exhausted and sore :nope:

Here is the link to the article:

https://m.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22854554

The benefit odf giving birth at home is that the midwife brings your bounty pack so no hard sell etc!

I didn't mind the actual bounty pack (who doesn't mind freebies?). But I was really uncomfortable with the photos and giving my details, I just wanted her to go away. I was tired, emotional, not quite with it after the birth. We weren't going to buy any photos, but my mum was there at the time and insisted. Lovely photo's, but I think it's wrong that they go round maternity wards and target people when they are at their most vulnerable.

Having a home birth isn't an option for everyone.

Agreed! I felt hassled and like I had no where to hide with the photographer turning up. They give off an official air as they are given free reign round the wards.
I had my closed curtain ripped back by her whilst shouting 'knock knock'. I'd had a c section only the night before- was groggy numb and had no sleep or a shower. I was in no position to take what she was saying in.
There should be a serivce where you opt in and then they can visit you. Not the other way round.
Joy x

Awful, awful people!! Preying on tired, emotional, hormonal women who ave just gone through a life changing experience!! I wish I could go back in time and tell the lady who came in,woke my baby up and started moving her around to take some crappy pictures where to go! Really hope this goes through!!

Our bounty lady was really persistent. In the end I shouted at her to piss off. Not like me as I don't normally swear, but she made me so angry. She whipped my curtain back and barged in the first time when I was on a bed pan after my section. Then she came back and barged in again when I was trying to breastfeed on my own for the first time. The third time I lost my rag. So rude and at a time when we are at our most vulnerable, no one should be allowed onto the wards other than medical professionals and our visitors.

I read yesterday a list of hospitals where they pay for your details, mine was on it. And they got my details even when I refused to give them as they bombarded me when I got home with my son with calls and junk mail. I dont think any one should be allowed in or if they are they arnt allowed to be forceful. Lucky the one I met did walk away with no problem but can make woman who are vulnerable feel pressured.

To be honest I don't mind the Bounty people! My first ever photo of DD1 was from the Bounty people and I love the picture! Yes it was expensive but with DD2 I realised I could go on Snapfish and get all my pics off there for about a tenth of the price!

I wasnt pestered at all. I was excited to get my Bounty pack and glad I had a lovely picture of my still slightly vernix covered baby!

The bounty lady on my ward was really lovely and made sure she waited for us to say to come in. I can totally understand why it would piss u off if she came barging in, I would of told her where to go too!

I didn't really mind her there tbh but I was a bit delirious and drugged up at the time!

I think when u get admitted they should ask u then and there if u want to be seen by the bounty lady and then u have a choice x

I hate them. With my last baby, Joshua died just after midnight at 13 hours old, had a sign on my door saying no one to enter without permission from ward manager. She barged in and demanded to know where baby was so she could take his photo. Not impressed doesn't even cover it. This time they came 3 times, twice when I was eating my lunch (so much for protected meal times) so my food went cold, 3rd when I was trying to feed. Pushy sales reps shouldn't be allowed onto a hospital ward x

They came in when I was really ill and had been re admitted back into the hospital a few days after Paria was born. I was really really ill and week, with a drip in the most awkward place in my arm, trying to take care of a newborn by myself because it wasn't visitor time, so I had no help (my mum had her previously but the last few days I felt like i needed her to be with me) ... As much as I love the photos, they really pissed me off, they came twice, and kept calling my she a he ... And when she was sleeping moving her position about etc! So annoying!

I hate them. With my last baby, Joshua died just after midnight at 13 hours old, had a sign on my door saying no one to enter without permission from ward manager. She barged in and demanded to know where baby was so she could take his photo. Not impressed doesn't even cover it. This time they came 3 times, twice when I was eating my lunch (so much for protected meal times) so my food went cold, 3rd when I was trying to feed. Pushy sales reps shouldn't be allowed onto a hospital ward x

That is absolutely awful hun :( I'm so sorry :hugs:

I didn't feel hassled, when the lady came round I just told her I didn't want any of the pictures and stuff and she didnt try and coax me into doing it she just left and moved on to the girl next to me sounds like I was lucky lol

Yikes!!! I don't think this goes on in the us. Would break all hippa rules. I hope they do ban them for your sakes!!

I told her I didn't want the photo and she proceeded to lecture me for 20 minutes about how I would change my mind later. I didn't and mostly because she annoyed me so much.

I agree they should check with you before letting her in.

We had something similar here in the states, some girl came in to take pics of LO and she offered different 'packages' you could order?

Well mine pissed me off too. She knocked on the door while I was trying to breastfeed and I called out 'just a minute'. She came in anyway and then said 'oops, I'm used to people just saying come in!' Wtf? Apparently other ladies don't need privacy after having a baby? Ugh.

I don't have too much of an opinion on them as the one on my ward caught us just as we were leaving, she gave us the pack and told us there was a membership form to fill in inside the pack. I would be pretty annoyed if anyone other than family or midwives came in while ny newborn was sleeping and starting touching and try to take photos though.

In Lexi's case I would hope the the midwives would have told the bounty lady to leave her alone. Maybe they did?

I can understand why people are annoyed by them if they are rude or too persistent or you are still feeling rough but my rep was lovely and even comforted baby while I showered. Of course I was feeling fine after the labour and I wasn't interrupted or anything so that probably helped the experience. I love the photos I got and as me and my OH were both a bit overwhelmed with it being our first they are some of the only photos we have from that early. I do agree that you should have to opt in and women should be more protected so soon after having a baby but I don't think they should be banned.

I never had this. I got my bounty packs given to me by the midwives both times but never a bounty person. We never had a photographer either.

After reading stories of pushy bounty women on here, I was not looking forward to any pressure from them. The woman actually turned up whilst I was still on delivery suite, but I was in the toilet. She gave the pack to my DH and explained that the child benefit forms were in there. She didn't take any details from him, or take any photos, then she left. I was in hospital for 5 days following Dan's birth and I didn't see her again. No photos, no hard sell, no data collection, no nothing! I was quite surprised after some of the stories I've heard. But I do agree that it is an invasion of privacy at such a private, intimate family time where women are tired and vulnerable, and such it should be banned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->