can having smear test done while early pg harm in any way?

Discussion in 'Your Health & Wellbeing' started by tootsy1987, Apr 26, 2009.

1. tootsy1987

tootsy1987 Abbi and Alfie - My World

as the title says?

i had a mmc just over 3 weeks ago, we have not been trying but not been preventing and if you have saw my earlier thread that i found a lump on my cervix then you will know i am intending to ask for a smear as i was told they wouldnt do one until i was 25 (im 21) but im worried. If for example i am in early pregnancy and i have a smear could this cause harm to faetus or make me m/c?

xxx

2. Wobbles

Wobbles BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired

I had swabs taken with Caitlin and shes is with me although I had recurrent chemical pregnancies ... I had it done because of unknown bleeding and they were looking for infection. I believe its best they know your pregnant as I was worried and she said she would swab gentle and not so deep if I recall right but generally they don't like to do smears until after your baby is born.

3. tootsy1987

Thanks wobbles! im not sure if im pregnant i just know that we have had unprotected sex and i am sure i have ovulated but really need to ask for a smear because i need to make sure this lump is nothing dangerous... it has me really freaked out :( xxxx

4. Alexas Mommy

Alexas Mommy Well-Known Member

Everyone in Canada has a smear done in first tri, and they never cause a problem-as they are routine...

5. alloyd519

alloyd519 Mom of Twins & TTC #3

Yeah everyone here in the US has a pap usually at your first appointment after you find out you're pregnant, I had one with the girls, I think it's just routine

6. Wobbles

Wobbles BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired

Another thing thats different practice than UK - I know its not a no but was lead to believe they prefer not to unless needed. Swabs definately aren't done as standard in pregnancy here.

Interesting to know ...oddly interesting since its about swabs and smears lol

7. tootsy1987

thanks lady's :D xxxxx

8. avabear73

avabear73 Mum to Finlay

I had a smear done before I knew I was pregnant, I'd had mid cycle spotting and was worried - my dr sent me for a smear (I also had swabs taken at the same time). It came back negative ... unlike the HPT I took a week later :rofl: Turned out the mid-cycle spotting was probably implantation spotting ....

I'm not sure it's something they'd want to do later in pregnancy (that's JMO, not any facts!), but it did me no harm whatsoever, if you're in any doubt just talk it over with your GP. :)

9. dreams

dreams My beautiful baby Ffion

I was due a smear test but then i found out i was pregnant and the MW told me to wait until LO is here before i have one