Can i ask for an Elective C-Section due to painful SPD?

Lucyjo81

Reaction score
Hi Ladies.

I've suffered with SPD since 24 weeks, I'm now 34 weeks & the pain is getting unbearable. I use a brace, on crutches and taking medication but none of it is helping a great deal due to me becoming the size of a house.

Crying in pain is now a daily occurrence and I'm not sure how much longer I can take it.

I was wondering due to the amount of pain I'm in whether I could ask for an elective c-section? X

I don't think so. Although anyone can elect for a c-section it is hard to get a consultant to agree to it if you don't really need it. I'm not sure that a c-section would be any better than a vaginal delivery for SPD (although I migt be wrong!). I had quite bad SPD with my 1st and hip dysplasia and asked my physio about whether they would suggest a c-section as I was worried they would, but she said they wouldn't.
I'm sorry you're suffering :hugs:. Have you found physio helpful? If so maybe you could ask for more frequent appointments, I found frequent manipulations really helpful. Also swimming was good for relief, might be worth a try if you haven't already? Hopefully something helps :hugs:

Oh hun, I'm so sorry!!! I don't have an answer but just wanted to lend my sympathy.
I've had some painful days & moments and couldn't imagine to deal with it daily.
do you have any times where you get relief of the pain? Can you take some thing for the meds?

You poor thing.

I'd definitely call your midwife and have a chat with her, see what she says. It can't harm to ask can it :)

Good luck :hugs:

In the UK, spd or pgp is not classed as a health issue to have induction or a section. Some counties may work around that but generally no.

When i had my 2nd in 2009 i had bad spd but docs/mw didnt see it as an issue it was just a 'suck it up' type thing.

As horrid it is, having major op will not help. A natural as possible labour will be better on you as a whole.staying off your back to push is a must. I went 9 days over, my labour was just intense pain from my pelvis rather than contractions (sadly at the time i was refused a water birth which would of helped greatly) but within a week after the birth the pain was more or less gone, within few more weeks it was like id never even had it.

According to NICE guidelines you can ask for an elective c-section at any time. My hospital told me I could ask at 20 weeks, 30 weeks or 41 weeks I would get one if it was what I wanted.

What you can't do is request one before your trust deems your baby is full term - so chances are you will have to wait until 39 weeks. SPD wouldn't be considered to be putting baby at risk in any way, having them early would be and therefore could be refused.

xx

I fully sympathise, I'm in agony permanently.
I requested a section based on a previous traumatic birth where both myself and baby were in danger, and they still wouldn't really consider it, she said if I insisted then two doctors would have to agree. My SPD was never factored into the decision at all, the attitude there with me has definitely been 'suck it up'. You're lucky they even gave you medication, my doctor refused that even and said paracetamol is the only proven safe drug, so manage with that. Even after I told her it doesn't touch the pain even slightly.
Requesting a section is not an easy process. The midwife has to refer you to a consultant, the consultant has to review your case and then a second consultant also has to review it and agree.
I doubt they'd consider it to be honest for SPD, as your life and babies aren't at risk, you'd have to seriously fight I think.

Thanks for your response ladies.

I had a traumatic experience with my daughter Which already caused me to worry, now with the SPD I'm worrying even more how I'm going to deal with the pain & labour.

I've been doing a lot of reading up & I've read a lot of people said water births are the way forward, which I would love, however my hospital only has one birthing pool which is pretty much always in use.

Xx

Although as many people have said its unlikely that a consultant would recommend a section i think there is no harm in trying if you are suffering this much.
Having had two sections i would recommend you had one as going through labour in that much pain is going to cause you a great amount of stress.
I would make it clear to a consultant that its causing you a great amount of distress.I find that depending on which consultant you see they all have different agenda's and vary greatly in what they would recommend.You might get lucky with who you see.
Wishing you the best of luck
:dust:

Thanks for your response ladies.

I had a traumatic experience with my daughter Which already caused me to worry, now with the SPD I'm worrying even more how I'm going to deal with the pain & labour.

I've been doing a lot of reading up & I've read a lot of people said water births are the way forward, which I would love, however my hospital only has one birthing pool which is pretty much always in use.

Xx

Could always have a home birth? What im doing this time as i need that water, ive had spd since week 12 this time however its never got as bad or as painful with #2

Also having a home birth and I'm on my 3rd pregnancy with excruciating SPD. Vaginal births with previous 2 despite being wheelchair/crutch bound with each pregnancy. My SPD was never an issue in labour and the SPD combined with the Diastasis symphysis pubis I also suffer from seemed to have absolutely no adverse effect on the pushing stage. My first, 9lb 11oz son arrived after 38 mins of pushing and my 2nd, 8lb 11oz son arrived after 4 mins of pushing. Possibly the extra elasticity and movement in the pelvis which causes us so much pain in pregnancy is actually a blessing while giving birth :)

Also having a home birth and I'm on my 3rd pregnancy with excruciating SPD. Vaginal births with previous 2 despite being wheelchair/crutch bound with each pregnancy. My SPD was never an issue in labour and the SPD combined with the Diastasis symphysis pubis I also suffer from seemed to have absolutely no adverse effect on the pushing stage. My first, 9lb 11oz son arrived after 38 mins of pushing and my 2nd, 8lb 11oz son arrived after 4 mins of pushing. Possibly the extra elasticity and movement in the pelvis which causes us so much pain in pregnancy is actually a blessing while giving birth :)

It is said that SPD can better the delivery of a baby due to fact they have more space, positive vibes from that i say.

It is said that SPD can better the delivery of a baby due to fact they have more space, positive vibes from that i say.

I'm expecting this one to just fall out, tbh :haha: :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->