Can I buy a Jumparoo?

Dona

Reaction score
For all of you that have a premmie and are past the stage of bouncers/jumparoos/baby walkers.

Please can you tell me if you used a jumparoo with your LO and if so, did it do them any harm? I wouldn't buy a baby walker or door bouncer but I really want to get a jumparoo.

xx

Matthew not past that stage yet but he has a jumperoo, got it about 6 weeks or so, he's only been in it a few times as too wee but now he loves it, I have to sit and help him make it bounce as he does not touch the floor yet but hes getting used to the noises and feeling of it. They are well worth the money x

I brought one for my girls and they loved it. Im sure Archie will love it as well xx

They are on sale in Argos at the moment if you decide to get one x

After a lot of umming and ahhing we got one for Poppy (well, her Grandad did) and she loves it. She is only on the 2nd of 3 height settings so can use it for a while longer yet but she was quite 'old' when we finally got one for her (about 8 months I think)

I was wondering the same thing, I bought one for my second youngest who wasn't prem and he loved it, he went in it from 6 months but was a lot stronger than my youngest who was prem, who is still not doing very well with his head but I think he would love it given the chance.

Well I decided to get Archie a jumperoo! He just loves it too!

oh magic, there great eh, Matthew loves his now always jumping and starting to turn around to the various toys, any time he's help upright now he starts jumping haha and I can get on with things or just sit with a cuppa now for a bit x

Donnnnnnnaaaaaaaaaaa stop it you'll make me buy one for a few months time :rofl:

I can't wait until he knows what he's doing and goes bananas in it!

Sandi - get saving now as you know you want one....LOL!

Just want to add something..At Neonatal Follow Up Clinic (where we go to have Lakai's development assessed) they gave us a sheet saying that door jumpers and jumparoos can be bad for preemies later on when they reach the stage of learning to walk. It can cause them to walk tip toed and cause their muscles to be tense down the backs of their legs.

That being said, they did also say when we question them..that a jumparoo with a pillow beneath their feet so they are never "tip toed" on the floor and their knees are bent (very important) is ok for short periods of time, like 15 mins tops.

Door jumpers are a complete NO. They cause so many issues with preemies, from back issues, to muscle (legs and torso) and can cause hip, knee and ankle joint issues.

And this is for all preemies, not just ones with serious health risks or were born very very early.

Just wanted to let you know, not trying to scare you...but this was a huge lecture for us..so if don't have follow up clinic you may never know..

I use one with Lakai and have seen no ill side affects so far. Im sure Archie will be the same, but it's good to know (I hope). :hugs:

Yeah I was told all of the above hence, why I started this thread in the first place. However, I also asked what were the chances of the problems actually happening - they said slim and that they had to inform me of everything. A bit like the survival stats of premmies I guess or a bit like what you shouldn't do when bringing up a child.

Thanks for letting me know but if I went by all the rules of everything, I wouldn't go out the house!

D xx

Just want to add something..At Neonatal Follow Up Clinic (where we go to have Lakai's development assessed) they gave us a sheet saying that door jumpers and jumparoos can be bad for preemies later on when they reach the stage of learning to walk. It can cause them to walk tip toed and cause their muscles to be tense down the backs of their legs.

That being said, they did also say when we question them..that a jumparoo with a pillow beneath their feet so they are never "tip toed" on the floor and their knees are bent (very important) is ok for short periods of time, like 15 mins tops.

Door jumpers are a complete NO. They cause so many issues with preemies, from back issues, to muscle (legs and torso) and can cause hip, knee and ankle joint issues.

And this is for all preemies, not just ones with serious health risks or were born very very early.

Just wanted to let you know, not trying to scare you...but this was a huge lecture for us..so if don't have follow up clinic you may never know..

I use one with Lakai and have seen no ill side affects so far. Im sure Archie will be the same, but it's good to know (I hope). :hugs:

Hello, thanks for the above. What I don't understand is why the above only applies to premmies and not all babies irrespective of their birth gestation. I am sure occasional use is fine and should not cause problems.
I am considering a jumperoo for my LO as they look fantastic. I didn't know one existed until I read about it on this forum.

Yeah I was told all of the above hence, why I started this thread in the first place. However, I also asked what were the chances of the problems actually happening - they said slim and that they had to inform me of everything. A bit like the survival stats of premmies I guess or a bit like what you shouldn't do when bringing up a child.

Thanks for letting me know but if I went by all the rules of everything, I wouldn't go out the house!

D xx

I was just letting you know, not lecturing. Sorry for bothering.

Hello, thanks for the above. What I don't understand is why the above only applies to premmies and not all babies irrespective of their birth gestation. I am sure occasional use is fine and should not cause problems.
I am considering a jumperoo for my LO as they look fantastic. I didn't know one existed until I read about it on this forum.

Its because preemies (and the smaller the more worse it is..) didn't get the time in the womb, all curled up in the fetal position. So their muscle are some times tight and tend to fall into muscle issues easier. So mirco preemies...or low birth weight babies tend to have more risk for these issues.

That being said, it's not all preemies of course. It's just good to know the possibilities and not be blind sided should something pop up. Or so I think.

I have heard more bad stories than good stories about jolly jumpers (door jumpers) and therefore would never use one. But the jumparoo's the stories of both outcomes (good and bad) are equal. Some preemies develop no signs of muscle issues, some do. Its just good to know what to watch for and then you can stop the use of it.

For me, I would rather be safe than sorry. Muscle issues can be tough to correct.
:thumbup:

And for the record, I was not trying to cause any trouble in this thread. Im really sorry some felt that way.

Its because preemies (and the smaller the more worse it is..) didn't get the time in the womb, all curled up in the fetal position. So their muscle are some times tight and tend to fall into muscle issues easier. So mirco preemies...or low birth weight babies tend to have more risk for these issues.

That being said, it's not all preemies of course. It's just good to know the possibilities and not be blind sided should something pop up. Or so I think.

I have heard more bad stories than good stories about jolly jumpers (door jumpers) and therefore would never use one. But the jumparoo's the stories of both outcomes (good and bad) are equal. Some preemies develop no signs of muscle issues, some do. Its just good to know what to watch for and then you can stop the use of it.

For me, I would rather be safe than sorry. Muscle issues can be tough to correct.
:thumbup:

And for the record, I was not trying to cause any trouble in this thread. Im really sorry some felt that way.

Hello, I don't think you are trying to cause trouble in the thread at all. Hope I didn't give you that impression. It is good to know the facts and thanks for passing these on.
I spoke to my OH about it and he doesn't seem keen, he was worried about damage to our LO joints and muscles, she is extreme premmie so probably more vulnerable. We will see what the future brings, we still haven't had our 2 month checkup so not sure how her mobility is progressing, she is strong but some of her limbs seem a bit stiff. You always have the worry of your LO developing CP.

Please don't get upset over this thread.

Im not upset and it was not you. Someone PM'ed me..it's over now. No worries. =))

I think it's probably wise to play it safe than sorry if she's stiff. But then again...maybe it will be right in the future?

If she's stiff, infant massage can really help. So can doing exercises with her legs and arms. Doing "bike" legs with her legs gently can loosen up her muscles. Basically gently move her legs like she's pedaling a bike. Also crossing her right arm over her chest and her opposite leg across her other leg at the same time...

And any natural movement you can so for her that she may have trouble with..

Im not upset and it was not you. Someone PM'ed me..it's over now. No worries. =))

I think it's probably wise to play it safe than sorry if she's stiff. But then again...maybe it will be right in the future?

If she's stiff, infant massage can really help. So can doing exercises with her legs and arms. Doing "bike" legs with her legs gently can loosen up her muscles. Basically gently move her legs like she's pedaling a bike. Also crossing her right arm over her chest and her opposite leg across her other leg at the same time...

And any natural movement you can so for her that she may have trouble with..

I wasn't upset over your comments either. Its just hard sometimes making the right decision for your prem baby. I mulled over in my head for a long time if buying a jumperoo is the right or wrong thing to do. I knew all the possibilities of muscle tissue too and hearing it again from yourself just put me in a downer about the decision I choose to take. No hard feeling at this end.

Dona

Dona...I really wasn't trying to be a downer for you. I feel terrible that you second guessed yourself. Sorry :flower: I just wanted to make sure other people who may "search" for info on preemies and jumparoos knew. Because it wasn't said in the thread, you know?

I should have said that. Im sorry.

Also...you shouldn't feel badly. Lakai is in his right now...and jumping like a mad man. I think the most important thing is, not using it too much and using it correctly. Lakai is at a HUGE risk for the negative effects of them, and I still use ours.

I just make sure I keep a pillow under him so his legs are bent and he is never tip toed. And I dont leave him in there too long.

The preemie forum I am on is split, some say its ok...with in limits others dont. I think its a very personal choice.

I just wanted anyone else to have all the information. =)

My little guy is 8 months old and I put him in a Jumperoo at about 4 months. He LOVES LOVES LOVES it!!! This is the best choice cause it keeps them busy and they sit deep enough in it that they feel and ARE protected. We bought the Precious Planets, the one with the Monkey seat....so cute!! Good luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->