• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Can I eat...

4magpies

TTC #2 IVF
Reaction score
A prawn mayo sandwich from asda? Craving one!

Or is this a no no?

I would say no to the prawns. You should only eat seafood that you cooked yourself.

I think it's a no no in your entire pregnancy and although you cook it yourself it may contain bacteria that you don't know of.

Thank you I've gone for cheese and ham instead.

xx

If the prawns are cooked I always thought it was OK, but I'm finding a lot of info I remember from when I had Caitlyn is different now. Like apparently we can't have milk shakes from Mc D's... I don't drink them but.... Come on!! :p haha x

I personally wouldn't - am avoiding any seafood that isn't cooked to hot.

The milkshake advice is same as with soft ice cream - afaik these kinds of ice cream are kept at a slightly warmer temp than normal icecream and therefore bacteria can multiply faster. Some people question the cleanliness of ice cream machines as well.

There's so much advice out there that conflicts, I think you have to make your own mind up to a degree.

But please remember that just because you don't get sick doesn't mean it doesn't affect baby!

Prawn mayo can be quite dodgy at the best of times. I think its on the "don't eat cos its a food poisoning risk" list. I think if you HAVE to get one, go for a big supermarket that has daily deliveries, and get one back of the fridge where its cooler, preferably buying it mid morning. Definitely don't get one from the front of the fridge at the local garage at 10pm!!

seafood is actually a good choice during pregnancy...its fish that is high in mercury that is an issue.

prawns, mussels, scallops, and cocktail shrimp all clear!

I am not familiar was asda, but if their mayo is not homemade then you are fine. Also, if you have always eaten there without any problems then you will be fine to continue to.

Asda is basically walmart xjesx :) so a big supermarket, i ate prawns in all my pregnancies, i agree with Celesse as long as its not a warm prawn mayo from a garage at 10pm i think its fine xx

Oh ok thanks girls. I usually always eat them as they're my favourite sandwich.

I guess it I make my own at home I should be ok too?

xx

I would agree that if you make it yourself then it's fine - you have a better idea of freshness!

Any pre-made salads w/ mayo - chicken, prawn, egg etc. are a big no-no. I did not know and ate some potato salad and my doc said not to worry about it but not to do it again. Unfortunately, if the mayo has not been properly stored it can contain listeria. There has also been a huge recall on Riser pre-made products due to listeria including all of their mayo based salads. Riser is not a product that restaurants carry but many stores do (they are Canada based and ship to the US).

Most mayo over here is made with pasteurised egg so not an issue. It may be different in other countries.

Ours are made with pasteurized eggs as well - that's not the issue. The issue is that mayo needs to remain at a constant very cold temperature. If it's not maintained it will spoil quickly and cause illness. Many stores will put mayo salads on ice but when the ice begins to melt the temp drops. If it's not in a cooler at all times listeria can breakout.

I've never heard of that.

Says it's ok here.

https://www.babycenter.com.au/x568574/what-isnt-safe-to-eat-during-pregnancy

It's only deli mayo you have to be careful of.

Shop bought mayo is stored at room temperature in the shop after all.

x

And no where I buy food from keeps it on ice. Everything is in fridges.

Last time I was pregnant seafood was a no no but this time it's not on the list :D also shop mayo is fine I'm sure it's homemade that's not allowed

I ate prawns,mussels and scallops throughout my last pregnancy but I cooked them myself so I knew (1) they were fresh and (2) they were cooked properly.

On a none sea food related topic but can I eat this theme...

Stilton.. yes or no, I find one thing on the nhs website that says yes and then the next page says no!

See I had Stilton and broccoli soup the other day and I just made sure I nuked it to death!

Not sure if you can eat it cold though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlzsmuzaffar
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->