Can i have opinions of this BF article please?

We will probably see facts about co-sleeping deaths (caused by stupidity) involving BF mums. Otherwise I can't see how a BF baby can smother to death, lol. Sorry, but that's just silly. FF mums who co-sleep can just as easily smother their babies so that statistic wouldn't count anyway.

ETA: But some are saying the article is not offensive because we don't find it to be. Like I said above, is that not allowed? You obviously have a strong stance against the wording, which you put across very elegantly too lhancock, but I feel it's actually needed to make some people out there see sense... people that DON'T understand the difference between BF and FF and there are millions out there.

Why does it matter that only a small number of women actually don't have enough milk? If you are one of those women it is a big deal.
Before I gave birth I was very pro breast feeding and couldn't understand why some people choose formula. I know better now and this is why I will never make a mother feel bad for how she feeds her baby. Whether you mean to or not, saying that only a few women really can't breast feed implies that you think women are lying when they say they can't breast feed. As someone who so desperately wanted to breast feed successfully, it bothers me.

I am more pro breast feeding than you could ever imagine, but I still understand the reasons some Mothers choose to FF. Even if I didn't understand, then it's still their right to make that choice, no one can tell another woman what she should or shouldn't do with her body.

However, the reason it matters that only a small number of women are physically unable to breasted is because the myth that women cannot produce enough milk. I actually a barrier preventing women from breast feeding when they want to or wanted to. Confidence is a major barrier for a huge number of women who want to breast feed and thinking that 'a lot' of women 'just can't breast feed prevents a lot of women who want to breast feed from doing so. That is why it matters.

I don't think anyone is lying when they say they can't breast feed. I think a huge number of women who think can't breast feed can and I think that that is a huge shame because those women wanted to breast feed.

If formula didn't exist, then we would probably still have wet nurses whihc in my case would have been great since my lo refused bottles, or some mothers would have to use donated breast milk. Donated breast milk would have similar preparation issues as formula though ... Sterilizing bottles, not letting milk sit out too long etc. plus when you use donated breast milk you have no idea what the person who donated has eaten or whether they are on medication, how long they leave the milk out before freezing etc...

Breast milk has a longer life than formula milk both in storage and when kept at room temp :flower:

I don't think that the article linked was for one minute aimed at promoting breast feeding. The publication it appeared in has a pretty niche market, for a start.

In what way was the article posted judgemental about Mothers who FF?

As for saying that formula is safe... It contains bacteria that are life threatening to babies. Salmonella is one. Are we really calling something that contains salmonella safe now?

I'd be very interested to see any evidence that babies have been smothered from being breastfed.

What do you believe the article was aimed at, if not promoting breastfeeding?

I feel as if i am being told here i am unallowed to be offended by the article. Thats my right. I asked for opinions on the article.

I gave mine but I also feel like because I don't find it offensive, that's somehow wrong. Anyway, this is the debate section, so agree to disagree maybe?

If formula didn't exist, then we would probably still have wet nurses whihc in my case would have been great since my lo refused bottles, or some mothers would have to use donated breast milk. Donated breast milk would have similar preparation issues as formula though ... Sterilizing bottles, not letting milk sit out too long etc. plus when you use donated breast milk you have no idea what the person who donated has eaten or whether they are on medication, how long they leave the milk out before freezing etc...

I don't think anyone is suggesting formula shouldn't exist. In some cases it can and does save lives.

Breast milk, even donated, does not have the same preparation issues as formula though. For a start, breast milk is antibacterial, samples of breast milk that were tested immediately after expression and again after 8 days in the fridge actually had less bacteria in after 8 days due to the antibacterial properties. Due to being antibacterial breastmilk is 'good' for much longer at room temperature than formula, because formula is the perfect environment for bacteria to grow.

Breast milk donors in the UK are heavily screened and as it is completely altruistic they have no need to lie about medications etc. breast milk is also pasteurised before use and what the Donating Mother has eaten would be irrelevant.

I don't think that the article linked was for one minute aimed at promoting breast feeding. The publication it appeared in has a pretty niche market, for a start.

As for saying that formula is safe... It contains bacteria that are life threatening to babies. Salmonella is one. Are we really calling something that contains salmonella safe now?

I'd be very interested to see any evidence that babies have been smothered from being breastfed.

I thought it was fairly obvious that the article was exploring why breast feeding rates are so low and why women either choose to formula feed or don't maintain breast feeding.

There wouldn't be a gap if BF was still the standard feeding method to start with. Because it isn't, there a millions of FF mums out there offended by plain facts.

I don't think anyone is suggesting formula shouldn't exist. In some cases it can and does save lives.

Breast milk, even donated, does not have the same preparation issues as formula though. For a start, breast milk is antibacterial, samples of breast milk that were tested immediately after expression and again after 8 days in the fridge actually had less bacteria in after 8 days due to the antibacterial properties. Due to being antibacterial breastmilk is 'good' for much longer at room temperature than formula, because formula is the perfect environment for bacteria to grow.

Breast milk donors in the UK are heavily screened and as it is completely altruistic they have no need to lie about medications etc. breast milk is also pasteurised before use and what the Donating Mother has eaten would be irrelevant.

Sorry I was referring to pinklightbulbs statement 'if breast feeding was still the standard method of feeding'. I took it to mean that there would be no formula I guess...

Actually i think it was basically written to flame arguements and offend.

I thought it was fairly obvious that the article was exploring why breast feeding rates are so low and why women either choose to formula feed or don't maintain breast feeding.

That didnt jump out at me, so no it wasnt obvious, but its a couple of days since I have read the article.

Ive just had another quick scan over the article, and i do agree with your points, however i still believe that the overall point of the article was to promote breastfeeding.

I don't know... I have a blunt style of speech IRL as well and don't tend to sugar-coat things. Maybe the writer of this article was the same.

The article wasn't that untypical for the kind of writing style you get in that magazine to be honest, it is a magazine which has a very blunt, often far-left wing slant on things. Now magazines are online though an article which will have only have reached the audience that appreciated that type of journalism is being shared and spread all over the place. But whether in print or online people do have the chance to read it or ignore xx

Actually i think it was basically written to flame arguements and offend.

I think the article is horrible. I would just delete that person from Facebook to be honest. They were obviously posting the article to make a point, or to be controversial. There are a lot of things I feel passionately about as a parent, but I don't feel the need to post up articles on Facebook to alienate a group of mothers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->