Can I just have a rant? BF treatment...

hopingforit

Reaction score
I just feel like ranting to people who may understand what I'm going through. Everyone in my house got sick, including me. They all got better and I didn't (it's been over a week) so I went to the walk in clinic at my Dr office because it was New Year's day. I saw a physician assistant. I told him I was breastfeeding (well I pump but it's the same thing) because he wanted to give me a breathing treatment and I wanted to make sure it was safe. So, after that, he told me that it might just be a virus that needs to run its course or it could need antibiotics. If I wasn't breastfeeding, he would have prescribed me antibiotics but since I am, he wouldn't. He then asked me if the babies ever have formula and I told him yes because I don't make enough milk for both. He then proceeded to tell me that he would give me antibiotics but only if I didn't feed them for 2 weeks. Now, I know that there are breastfeeding safe antibiotics but he wasn't going to prescribe me anything unless I stopped. I declined as nicely as possible by saying I couldn't do that. He then proceeded to tell me to just go home and tough it out then but not before telling me that I do know I'm not allowed to take anything other than tylenol (which won't even touch what I feel is a sinus infection). He then smartly told me that if I wasnt better in a week, to come back and we would rediscuss antibiotics aka go home and suffee and I'm sure when you come back next time, you'll agree (and yes his tone did imply this). He was very...I don't know what the word is but I felt rude. He was trying to convince me to take the meds and stop feeding them. I'm frustrated because I feel terrible but still have to take care of my babies. I've worked very hard to pump for the last 11 months and someone in the medical profession should be happy about someone breastfeeding so long, not trying to convince them to stop. Ugh. If I don't get better, I'll be going to my regular dr. Oh and to make it worse, he was supposed to send in a prescription for an inhaler to help with my breathing but never did. I'm just very upset that he could tell I was suffering but refused to treat me because I breastfeed. :(Thanks for listening to my rant.

I don't know what the situation is like for you but can you see a different doctor? I would imagine he really did believe he was doing the best for your babies and it's just a sign of poor education on the subject but of course that doesn't help you.

Hope you feel better soon.

That is ridiculous :growlmad:

Did he say whether it's a virus or an infection? If it's an infection you need antibiotics and there are plenty of antibiotics which are safe for breastfeeding. I had a horrendous ear infection and had antibiotics for it with no issues.

You need to go back to a different doctor. If it's a virus fine but if not you have to have treatment.

I'm appalled at how rude that man was and personally I'd be making a complaint. That kind of treatment is unacceptable.

I had a virus over christmas too and a chest infection. I asked for anti sickness meds and was told it had to run its course too. I never even said I was breastfeeding. I was rather shocked at the fact no doc would give me anything.

He said it might just be a virus that needs to run its course or it could need antibiotics and if I wasn't breastfeeding he would have prescribed them. I believe he thinks it does need them by the way he told me to tough it out then since I declined to stop feeding and come back in a week to rediscuss them. I'm still not feeling any better now but can't get to my Dr til tomorrow and I'm not going back to the walk in clinic as I don't want to see him again. I had a nice PA a few weeks ago when I went in for the stomach flu. I couldn't keep anything down and she was sympathetic to the fact that I pump for the twins so she prescribed me an anti nausea medicine that she actually looked up for me. She said there was no studies done on BF women but there was on pregnant ones so I could take it. Now she was nice. This guy just didn't care. When I go to my dr, I will definitely tell him what happened though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->