Can i leave my 6 week old 4 hours between feeds?

Bellaloo12

Mum of 5
Reaction score
During the day could i leave her to go 4 hours between feeds. I feel like now that 3 hrs is too close and she isnt feeding much.... I feel if i leave her an extea hour ( if she wants) then she will have a better feed. I feel she is becoming a snacker and falling asleep after 2-3 oz if i let her sleep rather then just wake her after 3 hrs she will be mire awake and feed better. Hope this is making sense lol. Any advice would be great x

I would say try to leave her if she isn't fussing too much, my son is only 4 weeks and I feed him 5oz every 4 hours. He generally doesn't ever fuss between feeds, sometimes he is ready after three and a half hours but mostly goes 4 or slightly over 4.

Hope this helps, but if you arent sure maybe double check with your HV xx

If she's happy to go longer id leave her. Ive never woke mine up to feed once they'd regained their birth weight. If she's wanting to be fed earlier though id still feed on demand at that age.

Mine was 4oz every 4 hours from 4 weeks!

They'll wake when they're ready, and if they go that long enjoy :)

If she isn't hungry and giving hunger cues, then yes, no need to feed on a schedule, just on demand. If she's hungry sooner than 4 hours but just taking smaller amounts, then no, you should be feeding her. At 6 weeks, they really do 'snack'. It's not a sign of a bad habit and she will go longer between feeds and take more at a time as her tummy grows. But there's no reason to encourage it if she's hungry more often. If she isn't hungry though, by all means, yes follow her lead .

Feed on demand as long as baby isn't preemie, jaundiced and is gaining weight well.
I can never get my head around why people wake a perfectly content sleeping baby to feed them. If they are hungry they'll let you know.

If she isn't hungry and giving hunger cues, then yes, no need to feed on a schedule, just on demand. If she's hungry sooner than 4 hours but just taking smaller amounts, then no, you should be feeding her. At 6 weeks, they really do 'snack'. It's not a sign of a bad habit and she will go longer between feeds and take more at a time as her tummy grows. But there's no reason to encourage it if she's hungry more often. If she isn't hungry though, by all means, yes follow her lead .

I agree with this.

Just follow your LO lead.

My baby is 4 days old is taking 4oz every 4hrs, much to my surprize!

Feed on demand as long as baby isn't preemie, jaundiced and is gaining weight well.
I can never get my head around why people wake a perfectly content sleeping baby to feed them. If they are hungry they'll let you know.

There are practical reasons to wake babies to feed. One is if you have twins it is important to feed at same time otherwise you would never get sleep or get anything done. The other is for babies to have a predictable schedule they can feel comfortable with and that will pave the way for a predictable schedule. I have twins and wake my girls to feed every three hours, if they aren't awake already,

There are practical reasons to wake babies to feed. One is if you have twins it is important to feed at same time otherwise you would never get sleep or get anything done. The other is for babies to have a predictable schedule they can feel comfortable with and that will pave the way for a predictable schedule. I have twins and wake my girls to feed every three hours, if they aren't awake already,

I think with twins it's rather different.
However with a singleton who fits the description I stated above I don't think there is a need to wake them.

Babies very often make their own schedule.
My lo fed on demand yet had a predicable schedule from very early.

I never woke my boys and if we didn't have a schedule, well/ I couldn't function.. They fed every 4 hours and all slept through the night by 12 weeks the latest. feeding, bathing was all a schedule for me. This schedule lasted till they all were 10 yrs. old :happydance: To bed at 8 up at 7..I think babies need a schedule, just my opinion..

I think your baby is fine every 4 hrs ..XO Good Luck

I'm wondering if someone could say what time of day they feed if every 4 hours and then sleep through night? I think my girls might be ready for that. They are almost eating 4 ounces at each feeding (varies a little since they are different babies).FTM here.

Feed on demand as long as baby isn't preemie, jaundiced and is gaining weight well.I

I think with twins it's rather different.
However with a singleton who fits the description I stated above I don't think there is a need to wake them.

Babies very often make their own schedule.
My lo fed on demand yet had a predicable schedule from very early.
Sorry. FTM and seems I am getting defensive. I apologize.

I never had a schedule with DD. She just happen to want to eat every 3-4 hours. Once I had her home from the hospital I only woke her up to eat one time and that was only because she wasn't at her birth weight yet. I think by 2 or 3 weeks she was drinking 4oz a feed. At 3 weeks she was sleeping at least 8 hours a night. She's almost 4 months, still sleeps through the night, and still eats 3-4 hours. Her morning bottle she does drink 7oz, second bottle 6, and her next 3 (typically, sometimes 4) bottles are 5oz. If they are sleeping, they're content. They'll let you know when they are hungry

In the evenings I set my alarm for a feeding every four hours but LO usually doesn't last even 3 hours. We're switching him to lactose free formula today, so providing he does well on that I think he may sleep longer. He wakes because of dirty diapers (due to diarreah, which is why we're making the switch) and then he wants to eat. But I feel like if he was having a good sleep we can definitely get him to last the 4 hours. I may up his feeds once his tummy settles on the new formula from 4oz to 5oz next week and see if he's satisfied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->