Can i request flexible working hours due to sickness?

jessicat

Reaction score
Morning all.. wondering if anyone else has had experience with this?

I'm 12 weeks 4 days and suffering with MS more than ever. My boyfriend gets up for work at 5am, his alarm wakes me and I spend between 5am-6am puking up :sick::sick: then can't get back to sleep!

I work 8.30am-4.30pm and whilst I'm usually home for 5pm, after a full day of work ive been awake for near on 12 hours and I'm utterly shattered!!!!

I was thinking of asking my manager for a bit of flexibility in my hours. Maybe if I could work 7am-3pm, it would take the pressure off me a little and I won't be so done in by time I'm home!
I did wonder if employers were obliged to consider this request or maybe it's something I can ask my GP for a note for? My management team are notoriously uncooperative and have been on more than one occasion whilst I'm suffering with untreatable chronic mpregnancy related migraines!

Anyone else had any experience of this with their employer?

I got a sick note from my doctor as I can't get off the sofa currently (except for obligatory emergency trips to the toilet!) perhaps see your doctor?

Oh bless you I really really feel for you. I feel so lucky to not suffer with sickness all day long (just nausea!) But it is awful so if it's worse than this I struggle to see how women can cope!!

Will see if my GP can give me a note to give to my boss about altering my hours. They can't really refuse then!

I'm not sure if employers are obliged but good employers will try and help you out.

I work for the NHS and when my boss saw me struggling with nausea alllllll day, she changed all of my 7-7.30 shifts to 7-1.30. It means that I work more days each week but the shifts are much more manageable.

You can definitely get a sick note from your doctor if things are too bad. Good luck and feel better soon

not sure where you are located.. in canada, employers are obligated to make changes to work if you are struggling with sickness. for example, my employer allowed me to have tuesdays and thursdays off for 4 weeks (starting at 8 weeks) to give me time to rest between days. it helped immensely.

good luck!! (you can't be fired for anything pregnancy related.. so asking won't hurt!)

Thanks ladies! Well I asked today and she said no. Because of the following reasons
The hours are unsociabe
Because she suffered MS and tiredness but didn't alter her shifts (she's recently back off ML)

Basically she's basing my pregnancy on hers. Urgh. Feel really upset after my return to work meeting the other day she asked me if there was anything they could help with to make me able to cope better - I've requested something only to be turned down! Can't win x

What kind of work do you do? Is it truly illogical for the hours to be changed? Would you be making it a lot harder on other employees or putting others out by changing?

I know with my work (school) there are set hours. I either am there, or I'm giving up my paid time off and have a sub there in my place. They wouldn't judge if I was using time I've banked up, but it wouldn't be logical for me to shorten my days without that sort of thing being used.

definitely get a note from the doctor. its more solid than words to an employer. my manager told me id need a note to get a new position in store that id rather have even though my current position most pregnant women already have minimal problems doing. i just dont feel safe because im such a tiny girl. and because of school every day, i only work 3 days a week now instead of 5. and my shifts are whatever i ask them for. my manager gives me food and crackers and water while i work to help me feel better because eating is what keeps my morning sickness at bay. they're really nice to me! im sorry your manager is giving you a hard time. i dont think thats fair.

I am also suffering pretty bad with MS and extreme exhaustion, but I am having to grin and bear it. My job is completely back logged, and they are in "all hands on deck" mode.

I do have several things working in my favor:

I have a desk job.
I have a supervisor, but am basically unsupervised. There is an expectation that I will do things on my own and do it right.
I can get up and run to the bathroom or take a breather when needed. I have had to do this several times just this last week.
I can take my breaks and lunches at any time that I want, as long as I stay within the allotted time.
In essence, my department is very flexible.

I am asking them for flexibility in regards to my doctors appointments. Basically they are letting me leave work half the day and then I can make up the hours on a Saturday, but it has to be the same week. This is also something I have to notify them every month about.

My job does not accept doctors notes. If they were being inflexible with me my only other recourse (and what I would suggest to you if you are in the States) is FMLA, which pregnant women qualify for.

Yes, I forgot to mention I could get FMLA if really needed. I was put on that when I lost my son. It does keep the job position safe. However, it is unpaid with my work. (except for what paid days off I had banked up and the 5 paid days they gave me of bereavement leave .. which wouldn't apply in this case.)

It's definitely not illogical to change my hours. I understand they're going to put the business first but the building opens at 7am and people on other teams start coming in at that time as per arrangments with their line manager.
I feel like because my manager suffered in her pregnancy (she had nausea all the way through) she's using that as a weapon against me saying she still worked all her hours (she was off sick a fair bit hough! ) - every day she asks me how I am feeling, so she can tell me how SHE felt. I asked two of the line managers in the office if they felt my request was unreasonable and they both said if they were my manager they'd definitely be ok with it! :( I just don't know what to do. I do like to think my Dr would help me out on this one but I'm not sure...

When I was a manager, that request wouldn't have been accepted because a senior member of staff needed to be in the building at all times and, well, no one wanted to be in for 7am!

Perhaps do something about your boyfriend's alarm going off at 5am. If you could sleep in a little longer it would probably help keep the nausea at bay?

Your dr. can't help you out. At least not if you're in Canada lol. Being nauseous is not a requirement for hour changes. However a good employer would definitely accommodate! See if the other managers can let yours know that they don't feel it's unreasonable? Maybe with some backup she will grant it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->