Can I safely diet to lose weight while pregnant?

NatashaZ

Reaction score
Hello all. I confirmed today with a Dr that I am pregnant. I'd be happier if I weren't so scared that my weight will cause this to be a difficult 9 months.

I'm 5'7" and weight around 245 lbs. I have lost about 40 lbs since 2009. Can I amp up my efforts and work out more during the 1st trimester, so that the 2nd and 3rd one are less risky? I'd like to feel more fit, have a healthier heart, before I have to give birth.

I know I am thinking VERY far ahead but I am just really freaking out over being so big and now pregnant.

fyi, no major health issues... yet. And I know I should consult with the Dr but I do not like my obgyn and will get a new one before long.

I would exercise and eat healthy...but I wouldn't do any drastic dieting. There isn't any reason you can't eat lots of fruits and vegetables and whole grains while pregnant...which will be healthy for you and may result in weightloss. Further down the road baby will need more nutrition...so you'll have to step it up but it can be healthy foods. I wouldn't work purposely to cut your calories as low as you can get them though. Believe me, I was planning on dieting if I didn't get pregnant after the holidays because I knew it would make being pregnant easier...but it didn't happen. As it turns out, with my morning sickness, I've lost about 8 lbs.

I could probably benefit more from working out and doing cardio at this point than eating less. I should focus on eating better but walking once a day, maybe even jogging. I am just scared that my heart isn't prepared for the demands my body will make as things change.

8lbs during morning sickness? Wowzers. I haven't gotten sick yet, just heartburn mostly. I hate puking so I hope it doesn't happen :(

You can eat healthier and may prevent weight gain. I am not sure about starting an intense exercise routine if you aren't used to it. Maybe do a little jogging, and slowly accustom yourself to it during your walks? Remember to test yourself - if you can't speak in short sentences while exercising, you may be exercising too strenuously.

My starting weight with this pregnancy was 175 which puts my BMI as overweight, and I am 20 lbs heavier than when I got pregnant with my first two. I spoke at length to my ob/gyn about my fear because I gained around 50 lbs with my previous two pregnancies and had a terrible time getting it off with my blood pressure issues. They told me not to attempt to lose weight but that it is okay to count calories as long as they are "healthy calories". I have been advised to try to eat at least 1800 to 2000 calories per day with a slight increase in the second and third trimesters. So far I have only gained a few lbs and I am feeling better about my gain this time because it seems to be much slower. Hope this helps, or at least gives you something to ask your doc about :)

I could probably benefit more from working out and doing cardio at this point than eating less. I should focus on eating better but walking once a day, maybe even jogging. I am just scared that my heart isn't prepared for the demands my body will make as things change.

8lbs during morning sickness? Wowzers. I haven't gotten sick yet, just heartburn mostly. I hate puking so I hope it doesn't happen :(

I would definitely stick to walking as a means of exercising...until you can ask your doctor what is safe.

I haven't been throwing up, but I'm nauseous 24/7 and have to force myself to eat...so its been hard and I just keep losing

Exercise lightly. Don't overheat or get dehydrated. Drink lots of water while working out. If I were you I'd spread it out. Do 30 min walks (fast walk) 3 times a day, or maybe water aerobics? I wouldn't "diet" while pregnant, but eating healthy, having smaller means 6-8 times a day instead of only 3 will help keep your metabolism up as well as keep baby happy :)

Good luck with that....I thought I'd be able to stick to WW during the first trimester but when you are ridiculously tired and the thought of anything but carbs makes you want to vomit, it's pretty hard! Just focus of being healthy for the baby....and see how you feel. Some days after work, I am so beat that I have to go to bed at 8....and there is no way that I can even look at my treadmill.

I'm overweight - I dont think the doc would have said any thing but I've gone from a size 10 to a 16 (UK) in just over 2 years. it's like a 20kg gain :dohh:

He never mentioned diet to me.
Just to exercise as much as I possibly could, doing anything I could. (Just leaving out motorcycling and waterski-ing??? Even said I could go back to riding horses :D)
We run with our huskies and they're strapped around your waist when you do that and drag you round faster than you can run - doc said that was fine. Just dont get too puffed :shrug:
He said that baby's protected short of direct invasive tummy trauma or trauma up where the sun dont shine??

DH wants me to take it easy (had a loss in October), so I've got three DVD's with prenatal workouts on them :) Our thinking was if they're designed for pregnant women - they've gotta be the right thing :) And I'm planning on joining the gym to go swimming :)
I've lost a couple of pounds - which actually makes me a bit scared.

Have you looked at the DVD workouts?

I have lost about 15 lbs due to morning sickness and my midwife wasnt to concerned. (5'6" 195 down to 180) Everything I have read says some weight loss is ok and can benefit later in pregnancy. But I think restricting calories intentionally is a different story. The baby will get what they need from you but you need to probably stick to 1800 calories or so. Alot of women do lose weight between m/s and eating healthier.

I have also heard of many women running/jogging until their last trimester. It is not recommended to do any abdominal/core type of exercises but exercise can be safe. It is also no recommended to start a new exercise program during pregnancy. I think if you stick to what is working, without trying to "amp it up" you will be safe.

First of all I think you need to get medical advice once you're happy with your doctor. I'm not a doctor so I don't know for sure what it best. What I'd recommend is that you don't diet as such but just try to get healthier. Eat loads of fruit and veg and cut out anything high in sugar. Continue to exercise, lots of walking and I've heard swimming is great too. I think it's great that you want to get in good shape for your baby - good luck!! x

I think if you lose weight because you're maintaining a healthy exercise regimine and eating healthy, that's usually okay, especially if you have extra weight. But before you try intentional dieting or calorie restriction, you need to talk to a doctor and/or nutritionist. If you're not used to jogging, don't do it. It could push your heart rate too high or overheat you. Swimming and brisk walking are good. If you weren't exercising a lot before, adding in 30 minutes of walking or swimming a day will help you keep weight gain in check and help minimize the risks that us overweight girls (high blood pressure, gestational diabetes, too large babies, etc.) are more likely to suffer from. It's great to be in shape during pregnancy, but try not to focus too much on losing weight.

I would not try to diet without the help of someone qualified lika a nutritionist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->