can my friend make a formal complaint about her health visitor?

fiffle

Reaction score
My friend and i had our babies within a couple of weeks of each other, but she is bottle feeding and i am breast feeding. normally we take our babies to be weighed together but i was busy yesterday so she went without me.

Anyway, she has just rang me in floods of tears as the health visitor has apparently had a massive rant at her today, telling her she must stop giving her son a bottle when he wakes at night and even wrote as much in her child health record. (her son is almost 7 months old)

Well, he has now been awake for the last 2 hours really screaming for his bottle and getting himself into a bit of a state and my friend is in a state too. usually he sleeps from7pm til 12, has a bottle, then goes back to sleep til 7am, but my friend just didn't know what to do after what the health visitor said to her.

i have two sons but have never formula fed so i dont know if it's any different but with a breastfed baby you feed them when they are hungry, surely the same applies for a bottle fed baby?

personally i think what the health visitor has said is disgusting. i could understand her suggesting cutting down how much he feeds at night and slowly weaning off that way, but instead she has had a huge go at my friends and made her feel like she is a bad mother for feeding her baby at night.

for now i have told my friend to get her baby a bottle a ignore the health visitor, and have offered to go to the office with her tomorrow to make a complaint. i just want to know if anyone else has had a problem lie this?

Tell you friend to give a bottle. Mine is 12 months and still wakes 1 or 2 times a night. your health visitor is an idiot. If the baby is hungry feed them. And yes I would make a complaint. She might have gently suggested to try other methods to calm baby and slowly wean off of night feeding but no need to make her feel like a bad mother. Thats just rude and uncalled for. i wouldn't be going back. Aren't health visitors optional there? (i'm in the states- not really sure on that one)

Wow how horrible. My first didn't drop her night feed till 10+ months. If your baby is hungry you feed it wether it's breast or bottle.

i know it is horrible, i know the scheduled check ups are pretty much mandatory but the weigh-ins are pretty much just "turn up if you feel like it", my friend and i wont be going to that office again that's for sure! there's another weigh in at a different office on a wednesday we're going to take the boys too from now on.

i told my friend to put in a complaint, she phones the office and the manager apologized to her and said she'd have a word with the hv in question.

i just think it's disgusting that people who are supposed to offer help and advice can make someone feels like that while spouting so much drivel!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->