Can they check cervical length on abdominal ultrasounds?

Yo_Yo

Reaction score
I've got my private 4D scan later today, and last night I was getting progressively more painful contraction type pains that woke me up several times. I was about to go up to hospital but they went.

Anyway, I get them every day thanks to having an irritatable uterus, so I was concerned about it shortening my cervix-can they tell on an abdominal scan if that's happening?

Yep, they can check for that. I plan on asking about mine at my scan tomorrow, too.

Yep, they can, its not "as" accurate but it gives an idea. I had mine checked at my 20 week scan with my second.

They checked mine at my 20 week ultrasound and they only did an abdominal scan then. I've never had a transvaginal scan done after 10 weeks but I do think if they feel your cervix is shortening, they'll double check the length with a transvaginal ultrasound as it's more accurate.

They have checked mine at the last two ultrasounds and I only ever get abdominal. It's pretty uncomfortable as they have to dig into you and I got some period like cramping afterwards but all in all, it's not that bad

At my 19 week scan, they did a transvaginal ultrasound to check my cervix length. I am not high risk. Sounds like that's not the norm.

They checked it at my 20 week ultrasound. I didn't realize they did until my doctor was going over the results last week and said how long my cervix was.

Hi yo yo the best way to check at this stage is transvaginally. I wouldn't trust a transabdominal scan at this stage of pregnancy. (I'm pretty sure you already know I'm a sonographer). Also, some people who do 4D are not actually sonographers so wouldn't know how to do this.
Maybe ask mw or OB to get you booked in for a formal ultrasound?

Hope all is ok xx

Hi yo yo the best way to check at this stage is transvaginally. I wouldn't trust a transabdominal scan at this stage of pregnancy. (I'm pretty sure you already know I'm a sonographer). Also, some people who do 4D are not actually sonographers so wouldn't know how to do this.

Hope all is ok xx

The lady doing it is also an nhs sonographer, I didn't know done weren't actually sonographers!

anyway, she told me the length doesn't change? I thought it did? She said it was closed though-confused!

Hope all is ok xx

The lady doing it is also an nhs sonographer, I didn't know done weren't actually sonographers!

anyway, she told me the length doesn't change? I thought it did? She said it was closed though-confused!

It does change. I've seen it go up and down , its mad. :thumbup:

Not all 4D sonographers are not trained either. My one at Babybond was in fact a NHS sonographer and Babybond was her other part time job.

Most are sonographers but some are trained technicians at times.
Cervix length can be dynamic (go up and down) and also fullness of the bladder can make it appear longer. The best way to assess is transvaginally with an empty bladder xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->