• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Can they check if you've dilated at an ultrasound?

Cherry_bump

Mum and TTC
Reaction score
Just wondering as i have one tomorrow and I'm 39+3 weeks and have been having pains but have no idea if they've done anything. Is it worth an ask?

I don't think an U/S can tell if there is dilation, they usually do a vaginal hand exam for this. But they can see the cervical length with U/S and vaginal exam, and it is a good indicator if you are close to giving birth. I think it is worth to ask to measure the length so you will know if you are close or not! I think if you are close they will let you know anyway. Best of luck!
I have my u/s on Monday.

No they can't. They couldn't even tell me if the baby was engaged, other than he was low down so probably.

I had one the other day and the scan lady said I was closed but couldn't tell me if he was engaged while been head down

they won't be able to tell you if you are dilated, but they should be able to see how much the cervix has thinned out or 'effaced' which in a first pregnancy is where it all starts anyway, the cervix needs to thin out from about 5cm to thinner then paper before it will start to dilate regardless. If they can give you an idea of that, that would be your best bet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->