Can you ask for a c-section if it is not medically necessary?

Caelli, I hope you start to feel better soon xxx

Nerdy, how big did you little man turn out to be??:)

Joining in this slightly late. I've experienced both, my vaginal birth was every bit the beautiful experience the movies make it out to be. I instantly bonded with my baby as she was lifted straight to my chest to begin Instant breastfeeding. It was calm, controlled and beautiful

My c-section still gives me nightmares. It was a cat 2 emergency section so there was that terrifying element to it anyway, but in general it was horrendous and clinical. It saved my daughters life so I will forever be grateful, but I felt robbed afterwards.

I don't understand why you would even consider MAJOR stomach surgery just becauE you don't fancy natural birth. There are risks to you with a section and more importantly massive risks to your baby. A girl on my ward requested a section for non medical needs and tbh her consultant pretty much Laughed in her face. She made such a fuss that she did eventually get one, but they made it very clear it wasn't the norm to just request one. I don't know how it works in other hospitals

As for your body shape have you actually been told your to small framed to give birth? Because your body was made to do it..... I've never heard of a grown women unable to give birth naturally because her body is to petite??

Have a really big think about this. It's not having s tooth out, it's major surgery!

I've never heard of a grown women unable to give birth naturally because her body is to petite??

I can't. I have what they call "insufficient pelvic space". Both my children were c-sections because of this though I tried VBACing with DS. DD was being crushed inside my pelvis and had bruises on her when she was born.

Even with that being said. I, personally, would never condone a c-section without medical reason. I have had a horrible emergency c-section and a wonderful perfect c-section and I would still never choose it. Ever. I'm not going to go into the risks of it because there's risks in both but until the day I die, I will always say to try natural first. :flow:

I'm UK
First child I had s bad third degree tear which meant a horrendous year after, with operations, physio, horrible tests, etc. all down to a very poor delivery midwife, epidural gone wrong, etc.

I opted for A c sec with my second and was up and about in town 4 days later and bsbywearing too.

My confidence in the hospital was good after my c sec so opted for a vbac with my third and it was just marvelous!

There are greater risks to the baby and yourself post C section. You should be offered a session where you discuss the pros/cons and fears of you are truly wanting one. I even had to attend one before even being considered for one despite the history.

Some of you are unbelievably rude and judgmental. Who are you to tell someone you don't even know what they need to do with their own body? I know people who have had terrible experiences with c-sections and terrible experiences giving birth naturally. I also know people who have had amazing experiences with c-sections and amazing experiences giving birth naturally. Your personal experience may be completely opposite to someone else's. I have since spoken to my doctor about it (which only reinforced my stance, thanks!), so this thread can die now. I was looking for advice, not to be lectured and talked down to. Yeesh.

I had an EMCS and a VBAC. I also suffer from anxiety, although my anxiety was related to having another CS! I do understand how powerful anxiety is. Although I feel the risks of a CS are significantly higher than a vaginal birth and I firmly believe vaginal birth is healthier for mom and baby, mental health must also be considered.

If someone had tried to tell me I had to have a CS with DD I probably would have had to be medically sedated (not GA! Anxiety medication!). Just the THOUGHT that I might need a CS actually required I take my anxiety medication against my doctor's advice in labor. It is serious, anxiety.

I would suggest you talk it over with your doctor, mental health is important and I wish for you to have what is best for you and your baby. Please do not feel bullied. Again I am probably the biggest proponent of vaginal birth in almost all circumstances, but I know the anxiety that you feel, and it's real. It should not be discounted or ignored.

Some of you are unbelievable rude and judgmental. Who are you to tell someone you don't even know what they need to do with their own body? I know people who have had terrible experiences with c-sections and terrible experiences giving birth naturally. I also know people who have had amazing experiences with c-sections and amazing experiences giving birth naturally. Your personal experience may be completely opposite to someone else's. I have since spoken to my doctor about it (which only reinforced my stance, thanks!), so this thread can die now. I was looking for advice, not to be lectured and talked down to. Yeesh.

Who was being rude and judgemental? I don't see that anywhere? :shrug:

"...just because you don't fancy a natural birth"

Trust me, people who suffer from anxiety don't just "not fancy" things. I didn't just "not fancy" a second csection, it caused significant anxiety, raised my blood pressure towards the end of my pregnancy, sent me to a psychologist, caused insomnia, probably stalled my induction and labor, caused me to fear and put off getting an epidural and the labor augmentation I needed because all I could think was that it would end up in a section if I got pain relief....it was way more than just "I don't think I fancy that today".

"...just because you don't fancy a natural birth"

Trust me, people who suffer from anxiety don't just "not fancy" things. I didn't just "not fancy" a second csection, it caused significant anxiety, raised my blood pressure towards the end of my pregnancy, sent me to a psychologist, caused insomnia, probably stalled my induction and labor, caused me to fear and put off getting an epidural and the labor augmentation I needed because all I could think was that it would end up in a section if I got pain relief....it was way more than just "I don't think I fancy that today".

Ahh, I'm sorry. I missed that part. I apologize. Yes, I believe that statement is uncalled for. I have had 2 c-sections myself, one emergency, so I understand the anxiety as well.

I love when people say they are looking for advice but really they only want to hear from people who have an opinion that matches their own and supports what they want to do. I naively believe that everyone wants balance in advice and opinions on here, silly me!

Some of you are unbelievable rude and judgmental. Who are you to tell someone you don't even know what they need to do with their own body? I know people who have had terrible experiences with c-sections and terrible experiences giving birth naturally. I also know people who have had amazing experiences with c-sections and amazing experiences giving birth naturally. Your personal experience may be completely opposite to someone else's. I have since spoken to my doctor about it (which only reinforced my stance, thanks!), so this thread can die now. I was looking for advice, not to be lectured and talked down to. Yeesh.

"I think you need to watch some different birthing videos."

"Were you aware that babies born by planned c-section are more likely to end up in the NICU with breathing problems? I would suggest researching carefully, its not just about you anymore"

"I don't understand why you would even consider MAJOR stomach surgery just becauE you don't fancy natural birth."

"As for your body shape have you actually been told your to small framed to give birth? Because your body was made to do it..... I've never heard of a grown women unable to give birth naturally because her body is to petite??"

Assuming that I just want one out of sheer ignorance, selfishness, and disregard for my child? That's pretty darn judgmental to me.

I love when people say they are looking for advice but really they only want to hear from people who have an opinion that matches their own and supports what they want to do. I naively believe that everyone wants balance in advice and opinions on here, silly me!

Actually if you read my post before commenting, I made it pretty clear what I was looking for. I stated I was well aware of the cons associated with c-sections and just wanted to know if I could elect to have one, and if anyone had had a positive experience with their own.

I'm sorry Wonderstruck but some of your initial statements led me to believe that some of concerns were from misinformation, I'm still not clear as to why you are so confident you would end up having a c section either way because you are a small person? I believe that knowledge is power and the more you know the more informed your decisions can be. I think myself and other people were trying to explain why it would be unlikely a c section would be allowed without a medical reason, which I believe was the initial line of questioning. Of course all of that said its your body and your experience and the important thing is a healthy mum and baby, I wish you the best of luck with your birth!

I'm sorry if i came across as judgemental, but i can't help think your opening post came across as ''i don't fancy that''

for someone like me, who found a section so awful and so traumatic, its so frustrating that you want to pass up the chance to experience something that could be so wonderful, just because you think a section is the way to go so you don't have to experience a natural birth. if you knew how painful c section recovery was...** shudder**

My best friend had a scheduled c-section and raves about how easy it was for her, so like I said, not all c-sections are the monsters they are made out to be. My doctor agrees that I will likely need one, and I'm okay with that so you probably should be too, seeing as how it's my body and not yours.:thumbup:

Well I'm not surprised the doctor is on board, c sections are more lucrative and can be scheduled during business hours!

Definitely talk to your care team about your concerns and they can advise. It is the case that some women are too petite to give birth naturally, but it's not common. At the end of the day you need to make the choices that benefit both you and your baby the most. I know in the UK they will 9 times out of 10 not schedule a c section unless there is a medical reason for it, but I'm not sure where in the world you are.
I was all for natural birth and then my baby is currently refusing to flip, so we might have to have a planned C section. The more I think about it, the more OK I am with the idea. It's a means to an end.
But seriously, it's your healthcare, your body and your baby. As long as you're making well informed choices, no one should be judging you. Best of luck!

I have had both (planned c section due to placenta previa with my DD and a VBAC with ventouse for my son with a second degree tear and stiches (inclduing an internal tear upwards)). My daughter recently asked me and I summed it up to her as such (trust me this is neutral as I did not want any sibling rivalry about how each was born)

Her birth the c section had no pain at all before she was born but a lot afterwards that lasted really on and off for about 6 weeks and I was not feeling completely back to normal for 8 weeks. It suited me for the firstborn though as I could prepare her arrival and I could just cuddle on the sofa.

DS birth was a lot of pain before he was born (3 hour labour) which was excruciating and far more pain than I experienced with the c section then after he was born 30 minutes of painful stiches (without pain relief) and then I was just sore. Away from DD for 48 hours and then pretty much back to normal (other than soreness) which suited me as I could get back into taking DD to school.

Overall the c section was for me quite a neutral experience whereas the VBAC was one of highs and lows parts were traumatic (the pain and convincing the midwives my labour was that quick) and highs the amazing adrenaline when he was born that I did not have with DD. I would not change either experience - I am not going to have a 3rd and if I did what would I choose I dont know - I could have a quicker labour and therefore not get to the hospital but on balance I did prefer the VBAC.

That said please dont think the more neutral c section affected bonding it didn't and I only knew I missed the amazing adrenal experience when DS was born

I had my second c section a few days ago and it was great. Such a beautiful experience. Once again, as suspected, my bub's head was definitely on the large side. As she was stitching me up my obstetrician told me it was the right way to go as we would have ended up here anyway with a baby his size. I chose to have this csection. She gave me the option. My pain isn't that bad at all. Very manageable. The new mum in the room next to us is having quite a rough time. She delivered vaginally a few hours after my section and she's dealing with her 2nd degree tear. We're both receiving regular pain meds.

This is your story. You deliver the way you want. You feed your baby the way you want. You raise that baby the way you want. What matters is that you're both loved, happy, safe and healthy.

I had my second c section a few days ago and it was great. Such a beautiful experience. Once again, as suspected, my bub's head was definitely on the large side. As she was stitching me up my obstetrician told me it was the right way to go as we would have ended up here anyway with a baby his size. I chose to have this csection. She gave me the option. My pain isn't that bad at all. Very manageable. The new mum in the room next to us is having quite a rough time. She delivered vaginally a few hours after my section and she's dealing with her 2nd degree tear. We're both receiving regular pain meds.

This is your story. You deliver the way you want. You feed your baby the way you want. You raise that baby the way you want. What matters is that you're both loved, happy, safe and healthy.

I agree completely with the this is your story bit. I do however think you cant necessarily compare your pain with someone elses pain thresholds are so different.

I think with the deliver the way you want has to come with the understanding that a c section is not the easy option, its not the pain free option because its cant be because giving birth is neither of these things (and I disagree with anyone who says a c section is not giving birth). Producing a baby comes with pain and discomfort and whichever way you do it it will take a certain amount of time to get back to normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->