Can you ask for a c-section if it is not medically necessary?

Thank you so much for sharing, Hit Girl and congratulations on your new little one :)

in the UK you generally have to go through a counselling session prior to consultant agreement for an elective. I had a horrific tear with lots of problems post op but even that didn't lead me to an easy route to an elective. I met a lot of obstruction.

But if you are in America or are insurance or self funding your medical care then I guess it won't be a problem requesting one. The hospital can charge 5 times the rate For a routine section vs a birth via the birth canal. It's harder here in the UK because it's a big drain on resources and they tend to deter women so the resources are their for those most in need.

My babies have all been born with 99% heads and, my third the biggest but she came out without issue.

There are millions of petite women who have given birth to large babies without consequence. I think, whatever you do,do it after your own research. Yes it's your body. That's why you need to go into it with knowledge. My biggest fear post my elective was suddenly dying three months down the line due to an air embolism. I know s father who this happened to his wife two weeks after her c section. But I took the risk because at the time, it seemed the bestvwAy to avoid further damage.i then had a vbac with my third and showed myself how well my body will manage when in a calm and controlled environment.

I don't know what the rules are in the UK, I think here in the US it depends on the doctor and whether or not they'll schedule an elective one. I don't have any judgement one way or the other, but I do think some of the comments have been extremely presumptuous, just in my opinion that is. Some people fear natural birth just as much as others fear having a c-section. Some of you have gone on and on about how awful it was for you to have a C and/or how just the thought of the possibility of one would send you into a panic attack. Well, perhaps the OP feels that way about vaginal birth? And you know what? That's perfectly okay. The reality of it is that even though a c-section might come with more risks, in this day and age, it is still an extremely safe way to give birth and yes, it still counts as giving birth!

As for my experience, I ended up with a c-section after 15 hours of an induction that stalled and my dd went into distress. I did not want a section whatsoever, but I did it because obviously, it was the best choice for the baby. For me, I hated the actual surgery because I too suffer from panic anxiety disorder and am also claustrophobic. Them cutting into me wasn't so bad, but being strapped down to a table while paralyzed from the waist down is basically my worst nightmare. The anesthesiologist had to give me a sedative to calm me down and I had to fight to keep my eyes open to see my daughter be born. Afterwards, they wouldn't let me hold her until I could wiggle my big toe, which took 2 hours- the longest 2 hours of my life. The recovery part was not bad at all though! I took pain killers for a week just to be sure I was "staying ahead of the pain" and then switched to ibuprofen for a few days after that. I was able to walk around a day after the surgery and I healed really well. My scar is barely visible. The only thing I had to really be careful about was bending over. Really try to avoid that for the first 2 weeks because that does really hurt. I am going to try for a vbac this time because I really don't want another section, not because of the surgery or recovery, but for my own anxiety issues about being strapped down.

The bottom line is, it is YOUR body and YOUR baby. You do what is best for you and everyone else will just have to get over it :thumbup:

Shellgirl, thank you so much for this. You nailed everything. I'm one of those people who fears a vaginal delivery more than a section. (I know I sound nuts saying that ). I understand some people haven't had great experiences with both methods of delivery... but oodles of people have beautiful experiences with both as well. Both my csections were planned and they were calm, the room was full of love and lovely people. I made sure I was very open to everyone about how I was feeling and any aspects that made me nervous. This helped so much. I wouldn't change a thing about how each of my sons came into the world.

Thanks ladies. I just got my BFP today so I better start planning! :)

OMG!!!! Get outta here! How amazing is this!? Huge congratulations!

I had a very premature birth (my angel) in which I didn't have any pain relief at all. I then went onto have an emergency csection at 31 weeks after 2 days of labor with out any pain relief, in all honesty it isn't that bad! People like to scare people with their experiences.

If you express concern to your midwife/doctor about the size of your hips etc they could monitor the size of the baby. A c section is MAJOR abdominal surgery which is important to remember I couldn't walk myself to the bathroom for a week I couldn't walk to my baby in the NICU for two weeks. I still get pain in my scar 30 weeks post section.

You really have to weigh things up. Can you go without driving for 6 weeks be away from home for 5+ days, Have to be extremely careful not to get pregnant quickly again as the scar can rupture and you lose the baby and your fertility. Can you take the risk of them accidentally hurting your bladder and end up with bladder issues.

Then there is the cost, it costs thousands for the NHS to preform a csection then you are taking up a hospital bed for days, where as a vaginal birth only costs hundreds and you can be on your way home in hours.

I'm only telling you this because I want you to make a informed decision, I wouldn't wish a c section on anyone if it wasn't 100% essential my little boy would have died with out it.

I understand the risks. Cost isn't an issue. I will do whatever I and my doctor feel is the best option. Thanks for all the replies.

If you express concern to your midwife/doctor about the size of your hips etc they could monitor the size of the baby. A c section is MAJOR abdominal surgery which is important to remember I couldn't walk myself to the bathroom for a week I couldn't walk to my baby in the NICU for two weeks. I still get pain in my scar 30 weeks post section.

This part for me was awful too. My babies were barely 24 hours in NICU, but I was not able to see them, or walk to be with them, it really broke me at the time :cry:

It was the worst thing ever!, every single part if your body is screaming at you to be with your baby/babies and there is no physical way to get to them is absolutely awful.

I wouldn't wish it in anyone, never mind chose it for myself!

Some of these comments are judge-y.

I had a c section with my daughter and I absolutely LOVED it. I am looking forward to having one for this baby! I'm so glad I didn't have a "natural" birth. I healed so much faster than some of my friends who had vaginal births. My recovery was easy, quick, and was not as painful as everyone had made it out to be. I got to hold my daughter as soon as she was taken out and I nursed her not even 15 minutes later. I was up and walking the same day and went home 2 days later. I was out walking around the mall and around the neighborhood only a week after having my section. Yes, it was a bit uncomfortable but definately not as terribly painful as everyone made it seem. It almost felt like I had worked out my ab muscles too much and they were really tender and sore. My scar healed fine and I have no pain over a year later.

C sections are not as awful as everyone tries to make it seem. I hate it when women try to put so much fear into you about it. I think if you go in with the mindset that it's going to be awful, horrible, and debilitating then that's what you're going to get. I went in with positive thoughts and I had no issues at all during or after the surgery. As much as people want to say that it's dangerous and all of that, the chances of something going wrong is SO slim. Yes of course there is a risk as there is with ANY surgery you have. But doctors do c sections often and know what they are doing.

It's YOUR body and YOUR birth. If you feel comfortable asking for an elective section than ask!

I'm wondering what could have been different in the surgeries that some of you ladies had that you couldn't walk for a week, or even 2? That seems outrageous to me. I wasn't ready to do any marathons or anything, but I was up changing my DD's diaper the same day and walking the halls of the hospital the next day. Even when I was discharged, I walked out of the hospital because I didn't want to be pushed out in a wheelchair. I'm not trying to discount the experience of those who had a difficult time recovering, I'm just honestly curious as to what could cause such a vast difference in recovery time? I know with vaginal births, obviously there could be tearing or other complications that make healing more difficult, but what would cause for these major variations with a routine surgery?

I do agree that some of the comments on this thread are very judgemental.

It's great that people have shared their experiences, whether good or bad. It allows people to make an informed decision. At the end of the day as someone said previously, it's YOUR birth and YOUR baby. That's the most important thing.

Everyone's experience will be different, same as everyone's experience of vaginal birth is different.

I'm wondering what could have been different in the surgeries that some of you ladies had that you couldn't walk for a week, or even 2? That seems outrageous to me. I wasn't ready to do any marathons or anything, but I was up changing my DD's diaper the same day and walking the halls of the hospital the next day. Even when I was discharged, I walked out of the hospital because I didn't want to be pushed out in a wheelchair. I'm not trying to discount the experience of those who had a difficult time recovering, I'm just honestly curious as to what could cause such a vast difference in recovery time? I know with vaginal births, obviously there could be tearing or other complications that make healing more difficult, but what would cause for these major variations with a routine surgery?

My secondary incision caused my long recovery, after the surgeon had cut me open and was attempting to pull my baby out by his feet she realised the cut she had done was too small and my son wasn't going to fit through it. She cut me again, the right side of my scar flicks upwards a little and over my hip bone. That side of my scar was excrutiation, I have a very high pain tolerance 2 days of labor didn't bother me one bit!.

I still get pain in that side of my scar now 32 weeks post section!!

Also if you found my comments judgmental, apologies for that. I just find it silly someone would want to go through major abdominal surgery with out needing it rather than giving normal birth a go. That's just my personal views, not a judgment on anyone personally.

After 3 vaginal births, an unplanned section was a big shock to my system. I won't go into detail but my experience was not a good one and I would not want a repeat section if humanly possible. I had a fabulous vbac and am planning the same for this one.
I didn't find recovering from a section as easy, it was painful (don't cough or sneeze!), I found bending to do anything excruciating. I could walk within the next day or so but it was very painful, not like just getting up for a shower following a vaginal birth.
Not being able to drive for 6 weeks sent me mad!! So hard when OH went back to work and I was left with the school run.

Some love sections, some don't. It's not for me but all you can do is educate yourself as much as possible and make an informed decision.

Oh.... and my scar is extremely unsightly and still has a horrid sensation 7 years later!

I could barely walk or stand up right for a week after mine, and then it took a further week before I was able to lay down on my back. A further 2 weeks later I finally was able to lay on my side.

It seems to me it that those of us that ended up with EMCS after hours of trying to deliver naturally had a tougher time of recovery than those that didn't. I know the call for me to have a section and my sons delivery was only 6 minutes apart.

I would imagine an EMCS would be a whole different experience to a planned section. An EMCS scares the hell out of me. I think your body has already done so much work by that point that maybe a longer healing time is expected - not sure.

My LO is still very much breech, so I'm looking into a planned section at the moment. I'm still hoping she flips, but I would imagine a planned section is a "Better" (if you can call it that...) experience than an emergency one in that it's expected and planned and you sort of know what to expect. And you're not already exhausted from hours of labour. I did have a google but doesn't look like there's any research into differences in recovery time.

Wishing you all the best, ladies. You're all superheroes

I rarely ever comment on posts where the op is made to feel judged and shamed for posting on a support forum but it actually kind of annoyed me some comments on here.

I for one have always had the same fear as the op and always new I would have a c section. The thought of delivering vaginally and tearing and having to be cut down there even is terrifying to me.

The thought of a c section is also terrifying for me!

As a first time mum to be I have gone around asking people I know and don't know to share thier own personal experience with me and give me their opinion on their vaginal and c section births and they did just that. Thankfully none of them ever tried to shove their opinions down my throat or try to judge me for what I want for my body and my baby. The health of the mother is just as important as the health of the baby and any doctor will tell u that. To be judgmental and say that doctors in general will be happy to do a c section because it is easier and more money for them is being completely unrealistic! How does anyone know that is the truth? My sister is a doctor and even she has told me it is my choice how I decide to deliver. She encourages her patients to deliver vaginally if all is well with mother and baby and god forbid nothing goes wrong, but if the mother's choice is to deliver via c section she informs them of the risks just like u would with any elective surgery, and it is still their choice. Any doctor will tell u their are pros and cons to both, so if that is the truth which seems more likely than all'doctors prefer u to do a c section for the money', then why is it wrong for the mother to choose? If I were a doctor I would consider the mental state of my patient equally as important as the physical, and if just like how for some of u the thought of a c section sends Shivers up your spine, the thought of delivering vaginally sends Shivers up mine! Both do in fact.

I have Heard of vaginal deliveries where the mum had tearing plus had to be cut down there in order to deliver. If that doesn't send Shivers down anyones spine then u seriously have a strong vagina lol

Every woman is different, every baby is different, opinions are different. But please be mindful on forums like these as u cannot assume just because the op has mentioned that people are being rude or judgemental that she only posted in the first place to hear candy coated stories and advice. No she shared an opinion and asked for advice. Not to be made to feel as if she wouldn't have her baby's interest at heart or that she is insane for wanting a c section.

Nobody said don't try and help and share good advice, but be tactful about it. And if u have a strong opinion good for u! Just don't share it if it's unnecessary.

Starting to think some of these posters belong on babycenter lol.

Whatever birth all of you choose I hope that it is a happy and healthy one, and that the joy of bringing a miracle into this world, no matter from an incision in your tummy or out the natural way, that it is safe and happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->