Can you get into trouble from the law..

mBLACK

Mother to one & WTT!
Reaction score
If you know who your babys daddy is but don't put him on the birth certificate? Like if he can prove that you knew but just didn't put him on anyway?
I'm asking this because despite the fact that my ex-boyfriend wants to visit the little one once he's born, I don't want him to have any real amount of 'power' without having to go through court and such.. Like I don't want to share custody of my son with him. I don't want him to take my baby every weekend or every other week, as a matter of fact I don't even want him to have private visitation, with or without his parents there. Before you think of me as a mean spiteful person, it's not because I dislike him that I don't even want him in contact with our baby. He has serious SERIOUS anger issues and has had them for a long time, he had to go in 'special classes' because of that, and he has been suicidal in the past.

Posting this in the single mothers section but also in the girly sanctuary(I will get more responses and I need them ASAP).

No you won't get into trouble! I'm not putting Adam on my bubs birth certificate but he still knows hes the dad, i just don't want the chance of Adams family trying to take my baby away because they think they can give him a better life. i might be being stupid thinking that but hey its my baby, my decision xx

I think he can take it to court and have dns testing to prove he is the dad.

Like Hypnorm says, he can take it to court and have a dna test to prove he's the paternal father. But i dont see how they'd be able to 'prove' you knew he was the father if that makes sence. Its a toughie. Having said that, if he has anger management problems I would think you'd be within your right to fight for full custody of the baby anyway, if you were to put him on the certificate, or at least supervised visits anyhow. Sorry, no help really. Maybe you could get some sort of legal advice x

Yeah in Canada you don't have to. If you say "I don't know who the father is" he actually has to pay legal fees AND 1000 dollars for the dna test before he can prove it. I'm not putting Adam on there.

The dad has to be there to get on the birth certificate anyway doesnt he?

Or get some form and sign it...

The dad has to be there to get on the birth certificate anyway doesnt he?

Or get some form and sign it...

If they're not married then the father has to be present to be on the birth certificate - this might only apply to the UK though.. not sure

No you don't havve to hun, its your choice. My friend had a little boy last year and her OH left her at 6mths pregnant and went back to his ex, so she didnt name him on BC.

xx

you dont have to put his name on it at all thats completely up to you, yes he will then have to take you to court to get a test to prove he is the farther if he wants to that is.

As the others say, you don't have to put him on

Also I think as you will have all the parental rights you could deny a DNA test on the baby as they would need your permission to do anything to your child??

Like when you think about it you would need to sign a consent form if your child needed an injection or somethin so maybe this would be the same??

Like the other girls have said, you don't need to put the dad on the birth certificate at all, and as you are unmarried, he would have to be with you when you register your LO anyway, or they wouldn't let his name go on there.

It may be worth your while getting some legal advise (which is free to you if you are on a low income - pop down to your local CAB for details...) regarding his access rights with regard to his anger issues. You may well be able to get an order, which dictates that your ex is only allowed supervised access to your child. Definately worth investigating.

Keep us updated, hunni and take care :hugs:

As the others say, you don't have to put him on

Also I think as you will have all the parental rights you could deny a DNA test on the baby as they would need your permission to do anything to your child??

Like when you think about it you would need to sign a consent form if your child needed an injection or somethin so maybe this would be the same??

Yes, in order to get a DNA test done, he will need to take you through court first, which he will need to pay for - Do you think he will bother?

If you want to allow him access but strictly on a supervised-by-you basis, lay that out to him, but get some legal advice in advance - just in case he decides to argue it. My suspicion is that with his anger issues and considering that you only have your child's welfare and best interests at heart, any court battle would be highly in your favour...

I registered my LO last week and the woman made me read info on parental rights. The only way he will have equal rights is if the baby is given his surname, also the mother will always be given custody over father in UK unless mother is drug addict or violent etc x

i think even if its proved via court he still cant be added on to the birth certificate without your consent.

not 100% sure though:hugs:

Thank you all your advice has been wonderful!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->