Can you ovulate without having a period???

LittleMum

Mum to 22 mth old and ttc
Reaction score
Hi girls please forgive me if this sounds stupid but is it possible to ovulate and then not have a period?
I came off BC 4 weeks ago, bled for 5 days straight away and then ovulated just over two weeks later. Currently 11dpo and not had AF yet which I thought was due yesterday.
Had loads of AF symptoms but no sign of her and now all symptoms seem to have disappeared except needing to wee constantly and an occasional burning sensation in my nipples????
I'm not pregnant as have done a couple of tests over last few days (one being this morning) and all have been BFNs.

I'm really confused. Last time I came off BC I got pregnant straight away, I know that that's not going to happen again but if I ovulated surely I would get a period after right??
Or is it possible for your body to resume ovulation quickly after coming off of BC but not periods?

Please help!

10 days between ovulation and your period seems really short... I'm curious, what's caused you to think AF was due yesterday if it's your first cycle since going off BC?

10 days between ovulation and your period seems really short... I'm curious, what's caused you to think AF was due yesterday if it's your first cycle since going off BC?

I was just basing it on a 28 day cycle which is what I had before being on the pill and whilst I was on it too. Then it seemed to fit as started getting AF symptoms few days ago. But now nothing?!

AF is normally 14 days after ovulation. It would be very hard to get pregnant if your luteal phase was only 10-11 days. If your positive you ovulated (and remember a positive opk or signs of ov DO NOT mean you definitely oved) you should get AF or a BFP within 3 days. Also bear in mind it can take a few months to ovulate after stopping the pill.

But short story no, it's not possible you ovulated if you don't get AF (or become pregnant) within a maximum of 16 days.

Good luck!

Maybe your cycles are just a bit off since you've been on the pill for a while. Or, since it's been years since you've had a cycle without being on the pill or getting pregnant, maybe they're just a few days longer now? Sorry to not be more help, but I've definitely had a weird period or two after going off BC in the past!

I've got a bad belly now so reckon I will be waking up to AF

I'm not sure about the birth control situation, but I know you can ovulate without having a period. My best friend didn't have a period because she was breast feeding and now she's 7 months pregnant again.

I had the implant removed on the 29th may and didn't have a period at all! I then tested on an OPK on the 9th August and had a clear line! Kept testing and got a positive on the 10th! I then got my first menstrual on the 24th :) this month I ovulated exactly on time and I'm due AF (or a BFP!) around the 20th! Fingers crossed!

I started taking 'seven seas - trying for a baby' at the beginning of August as it said it come help regulate hormones and cycles!! Don't know how much was down to the supplements or nature though

From what I gather though if you ovulate you should have a period 10-17 days later give or take (sometimes AF can be delayed for various reasons)

:flow:

I'm not sure about the birth control situation, but I know you can ovulate without having a period. My best friend didn't have a period because she was breast feeding and now she's 7 months pregnant again.

But if she hadn't got pregnant then she would have got her first post partum period 2 weeks later. That will have been the first time she ovulated post partum. I got pregnant without a period between my first and second as I was breastfeeding but that was the only time I ovulated.

Once you ovulated it is inevitable you will either get pregnant or a period. Cycle length is pretty irrelevant and the follicular stage varies from cycle to cycle. What is consistent is the luteal phase. Unless you know that your luteal phase is usually 11 days (which is pretty low) then I wouldn't say AF is "due". AF is due at the end of your luteal phase, usually 14 days after ovulation.

I think there's some confusion here.
You ovulate BEFORE your first period and fall pregnant.
But u can't have ovulated if a period doesn't follow 2 weeks later

I have the same questions lingering in my mind too. I know this thread is some time ago but I just wanted to share my story and hopefully find someone who can relate to me. I was on 50 mg clomid starting mid August of 2013, progesterone very low so doc says no luck, started AF Oct 1st, was put on 100 mg clomid, progesterone low and again no luck that cycle, AF came Nov 4th was on 150 mg clomid, had a sonogram done on CD 13 with no mature follicles and again very low progesterone, doc says no luck and doesn't want to up the clomid anymore. Dec came, no period, took 3 hpts and all BFNs, Jan (this month) came along and still no period, started feeling weird mid Jan, took a test on the 21st and a very clear BFP along with digitals predicting I'm about 3+ weeks. It is weird but I guess somehow I ovulated without a period, just very nervous about the whole luteal phase thing as I have no idea when I ovulated. Cautiously expecting and hoping for the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->