Can you qualify for disability for carrying multiples?

Yes, many women choose to get pregnant. Still, I agree with short term disability. It's a benefit I pay for every year whether I need it or not. It's like insurance. I had a c-section with my first. It's major surgery, why shouldn't it qualify? If I am put on bed rest and unable to work, why shouldn't it qualify?

If that was a point for your argument then you need to think of a new one.. If that was the case someone going in to have an operation for carpal tunnel syndrome would be able to claim (extensive surgery on your wrists, I am going through the process to have it done). Infact, anyone who goes into hospital to have an operation can qualify.

You can still walk after a section, you can still talk, yes you have to take things easy but its not a disability..

Oh and yes I did have a section, also a really bad labour and delivery... :flower:

Yes, many women choose to get pregnant. Still, I agree with short term disability. It's a benefit I pay for every year whether I need it or not. It's like insurance. I had a c-section with my first. It's major surgery, why shouldn't it qualify? If I am put on bed rest and unable to work, why shouldn't it qualify?

Im the same, I got put in bed rest for hyperemesis gravid arum, and I was on short term disability, it's something I've been paying into...obviously in the long term I am not a disabled person, and I chose to be a mummy, but I didn't chose to be deathly Ill either....

My sister took off 6 months at 90 percent pay in the uk, a further 3 months at 50 percent pay and three additional months unpaid. Even her husband had 3 months paternity leave, in the USA we just don't get it, if your very lucky you might get 8 weeks, but I don't think it's fully compensated, and that's only if your state falls dictates paid time off...I think california has slightly better benefits. It's highly unfair, but as you guys have argued, we did chose to become pregnant....lol

The short term disability leave of 12 weeks, means my company has ti ensure I can return ti my job, without it, I could be dismissed. Simple as.

my mum had carpal tunnel surgery and omg its horrible! she couldnt use her hands for 3 weeks, or maybe longer :S

i have a friend who has very bad spd which still effects her after pregnancy (she ended up in a wheelchair at one point) and then with her second had a section and in the UK she couldnt get any type of benifit.

i take my hat off to any woman who has a section, i think ur so brave but again its not a disability.

knitbit: so the money u get for disability is that actualy money uve paid to put away for this or is it just part of ur taxes?

Paternity leave is only two weeks here in UK.. If he took more it was most likely annual leave and a mixture of a good boss and less money..

My OH was only given extra time because I had a bad labour and the twins were taken 70 miles away... They were also 10 weeks early so someone needed to get to them and stay with them.

I agree with Moomin.. Its not a disability... It works differently in UK, we get tax credits, child benefit, working tax credits, childcare help, along with some other benefits.. I live in UK and with all these benefits I dont think we need to add another to that too.

i am pregnant with my second child, my oh passed away i dont work and cant claim any benifits. im not mentaly stable enough to find work yet and no one would hire a pregnant woman anyway so i have to survive because i chose to have this baby. im not expecting any kind of help just because im pregnant

I also wanted to mention....that unlike in England, where I once took 3 months off completely paid sick leave for an operation, here in the good ol us of a, we don't get statutory sick leave, I have 5 days paid sick leave allocated for the whole year, once that's used up, I'm done for, which is where the shirt term disability pay takes over...if I was sick in England, and it's pregnancy related, you can take time off and it not be counted against you, that's not the case in the USA. Y have to use your sick time, also, I'm a lucky one, the very fact that I get any paid sick leave means I'm one of the privileged few, most Americans don't get allocated sick leave, so time off is always unpaid.

Other countries don't know how good they have it, and should think twice before ramming it down our necks for utilising avenues to ensure we dint drop dead on the job

my mum had carpal tunnel surgery and omg its horrible! she couldnt use her hands for 3 weeks, or maybe longer :S

i have a friend who has very bad spd which still effects her after pregnancy (she ended up in a wheelchair at one point) and then with her second had a section and in the UK she couldnt get any type of benifit.

i take my hat off to any woman who has a section, i think ur so brave but again its not a disability.

knitbit: so the money u get for disability is that actualy money uve paid to put away for this or is it just part of ur taxes?

:nope: I have heard some stories. I have my appointment on 7th July, been suffering nearly a year with it.. Its so painful but the surgery will help me.. Boss says I need at least 2 weeks off work and then it will be light activites and intensive physio... :nope:

Paternity leave is only two weeks here in UK.. If he took more it was most likely annual leave and a mixture of a good boss and less money..

My OH was only given extra time because I had a bad labour and the twins were taken 70 miles away... They were also 10 weeks early so someone needed to get to them and stay with them.

I agree with Moomin.. Its not a disability... It works differently in UK, we get tax credits, child benefit, working tax credits, childcare help, along with some other benefits.. I live in UK and with all these benefits I dont think we need to add another to that too.

Paternity leave is actually three weeks paid leave and up to 6 months unpaid leave!

Which is a whole lot better than what I'm entitled to as a mummy.

No not in the UK, if that was the case...every preggo lady here would all be entitled DLA :rofl:

V xxx

:nope: I have heard some stories. I have my appointment on 7th July, been suffering nearly a year with it.. Its so painful but the surgery will help me.. Boss says I need at least 2 weeks off work and then it will be light activites and intensive physio... :nope:

hope i havent scared u :( my mums op was worse because shes diabetic with very high blood pressure

I also wanted to mention....that unlike in England, where I once took 3 months off completely paid sick leave for an operation, here in the good ol us of a, we don't get statutory sick leave, I have 5 days paid sick leave allocated for the whole year, once that's used up, I'm done for, which is where the shirt term disability pay takes over...if I was sick in England, and it's pregnancy related, you can take time off and it not be counted against you, that's not the case in the USA. Y have to use your sick time, also, I'm a lucky one, the very fact that I get any paid sick leave means I'm one of the privileged few, most Americans don't get allocated sick leave, so time off is always unpaid.

Other countries don't know how good they have it, and should think twice before ramming it down our necks for utilising avenues to ensure we dint drop dead on the job

this is not true! i was signed off work pregnancy related and my boss didnt have to pay me anything, so i had to fight my doctor and return to work partime while taking the pay cut!

paternity leave is still 2 weeks paid leave, the man can only take longer if he takes over from the mothers leave. im not quiet sure where ur getting ur information

Paternity leave is actually three weeks paid leave and up to 6 months unpaid leave!

Which is a whole lot better than what I'm entitled to as a mummy.

Its actually two weeks statutory pay. I live in UK...

Here is a bit from our entitlement...

Ordinary Statutory Paternity Pay is paid for up to two consecutive weeks, depending on how long you choose to take Ordinary Paternity Leave for. The current weekly rate is £124.88 (£128.73 from April 2011) or 90 per cent of your average weekly earnings, if that is less.

And what an awful comment about us ramming it down your throat... :dohh: is it our fault that you dont get what we do? Over in UK we get enough so for us to also be claiming disability benefit would be a joke.. Not my fault USA dont give what we do is it now?????? :dohh:

As of April 3rd 2011 paternity knave is now three weeks paid leave and up to 6 months unpaid leave...the law just.changed and will go into effect shortly.

this is not true! i was signed off work pregnancy related and my boss didnt have to pay me anything, so i had to fight my doctor and return to work partime while taking the pay cut!

paternity leave is still 2 weeks paid leave, the man can only take longer if he takes over from the mothers leave. im not quiet sure where ur getting ur information

Clearly not from any official UK page... I agree 100% with you...

Yes your ramming it down my throat, I'm not doing anything illegal here, I qualified for short term mmla , and Im taking it.

Or should I just drop my sprog and come back to work the next day to appease you ladies.
Don't think so.

As of April 3rd 2011 paternity knave is now three weeks paid leave and up to 6 months unpaid leave...the law just.changed and will go into effect shortly.

Still wrong.. Still only two weeks with an extra 26 unpaid!!!

If your baby is due on or after 3 April 2011 you may have the right to take up to 26 weeks' Additional Paternity Leave. This is on top of your entitlement to two weeks' Ordinary Paternity Leave.

do u have a link for that? as we live in the uk and are told it is still 2 weeks but the law changed so that the father could take time off the mothers mat leave and use that instead. but that ment the woman would return to work instead.

yes the system might not be fair in the US and we do get alot well i dont get anything but most do. but that doesnt mean the lable disabled should be given to a woman who is just pregnant

Yes your ramming it down my throat, I'm not doing anything illegal here, I qualified for short term mmla , and Im taking it.

Or should I just drop my sprog and come back to work the next day to appease you ladies.
Don't think so.

Its not fair in USA but thats not our fault over here in UK!!

Here is the link you need for the right information.
https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parent...ies/Paternityrightsintheworkplace/DG_10029398

Don't think so.

thats dramatic!

we have shared our opinion that being pregnant isnt being disabled...this is it! and then weve responded to ur claims of what we get in the uk....so i fail to see why you have such a problem with that

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->