Can you still swaddle at 4 and half months??

tessjs

Reaction score
We stopped swaddling i dunno how long ago but its been a while.We're trying to get our four and a half month old to sleep in his own cot.We tried once and its been awful found him twice screaming in a weird and wonderful positions against the bars of the cot at 1am and 3 am .....hes not in a grow bag theres no cot divider theres no bumper on the cot as we were told you can't use them till one year old.basically he is moving constantly rolling over when he sleeps in the cot hes doing it during the day as well..hes learnt to get on his belly etc but can't roll back etc.moves down the cot also ends up all over the place.

Somebody asked me if we're still swaddling and I was like no way but I'm wondering if we'd be able to and see if it stopped him moving so much...is four and half months too old??????..i would of thought it is....trying to figure out what we can do as he needs to be in the cot and sleeping like yesterday.....

We swaddled dd1 until 5.5 months and dd2 until 4 months. We only stopped with dd2 because she decided one night that she hated it.

If it works, i say go for it... although im not sure a 4.5 month old will be too pleased about it! Definitely worth a go though :)

Hey

My midwife told me not to swaddle if they are capable of turning over as they need their arms to push them off their face if they end up face down.

Hey

My midwife told me not to swaddle if they are capable of turning over as they need their arms to push them off their face if they end up face down.

yep this is what i thought too....

Oh, also, dd2 was rolling both ways from 3 months but we still swaddled ... and now, she too is all over her cot, but theres not really much you can do about it! She bangs everything but it has definitely improved.

I swaddled until about 6-6 1/2 months. She could roll but never tried to roll while swaddled. She was still in her bassinet though, so the tight confines may have been why. I'd started transitioning her out of the swaddle at about 5 months so that I could transition her into the crib - I didn't feel personally feel safe having her swaddled in the crib incase she did start rolling with all that extra space and got trapped. But.... then WW26 and the 6 month sleep regression started early, everything went to hell and I just went with whatever got us through it the easiest, lol. Luckily once she was on the other side of it, both transitions went pretty quickly!

I still use an arms out swaddle like sleeper though. So her legs are still fairly confined but her arms and hands are free. I also tend to position her in one of the corners with her head and one side against the crib, with a firm stuffed toy to the other side. She stopped rolling around. I just started that and she's almost 8 months now though, I don't think that'd work so well with a littler baby that isn't as strong. I hope you find something that works for you :)

We stopped swaddling for naps at 4 months and at night at 5 months. I wouldn't do it if he is rolling about. Thankfully Bella hardly moves in her sleep so we managed to keep going until 5 months when I figured its now or never!

I had to swaddle my DS until he was 10 months old. He would not sleep at all unless I did. Once he was swaddled he did not move. Never rolled either. DD is almost 9 weeks old and has to be swaddled at night. She will nap in her swing just fine.

I've swaddled until 10mos. It depends on the child, some really enjoy being snuggled and usually don't wiggle once they are swaddled.

I swaddled into my little guys 9th month. He loved it and it made my life a bit easier. They will tell you when to stop :)

My dd is 5 months and I still swaddle. Have tried not swaddling and she just will not sleep and wakes up every 10 minutes after taking 30 minutes of me holding her hands to go to sleep. She doesnt roll yet though. Xx

I still swaddle at 9 months. For his naps charlie likes to be swaddled in his pushchair and to get him to sleep at night he has to be swaddled then put into his cot unswaddled when asleep. Hes never swaddled in his cot incase he rolls over. Cant seem to break the routine because if he has his arms out they just keep him awake lol.

I had to Swaddle her only for 2.5 months as then she started rolling & even started sleeping peacefully without the Swaddling. I agree with @wannabemomy37, it depends from child to child as every child is biologically different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->