Can you tell me all about OPKs

Pearl

Reaction score
Hi,
As some of you know, this is the first month for me TTC and my AF came (i thought i was actually preggers, its so saddening !) ... Anyway, my husband and i just Bd'ed between the days that i'd most likely be more fertile which was the 3rd nov-8th nov.

But to increase our chances, im thinking to perhaps use OPK but im not sure how it all works , can someone explain to me and give me any link to useful websites etc. Oh and could you tell me how they are sold , are they in packets of 5/10 or sumin , coz if ur gonna be continuously be testing within those days whether ur ovulating, how can they sell you one in a pack like a preg test or sumin :S ... anyway can you all give some input, those who have experience with them i'd be grateful for the advise etc :)

Hi there!
I can't say that I know all that much about OPK, but i am in the same boat as you as this is my first time using the product too. I recently bought OPKs over the net and the site I bought it from had lots of useful info on it. My queries were identical to yours and I found the info useful. OPKs i bought came in packs of 5 and they were extremely reasonable in price. I will be trying one today as I am anxious and impatient. Heres the link
https://www.accessdiagnostics.co.uk/

Sorry that I cant be anymore helpful :|

Good luck TTC and lots of baby dust!:dust:

The website Shumie has suggested is a godo place to buy & I highly recommend them

OPKs can be used from around 8th/9th day of cycle counting day 1 as the first day of you period (if your cycle is 28 days+) - well thats my personal opinion. You need to test like you would a pregnancy test only not with FMU they say between 12-2 in the afternoon is best.

You have the control line that will always appear& the test line that will detect your LH serge & ovulation. A line as dark or darker than the control line is a positive and hopfully not only have you had a couple of practice Bds ;) but it would be a godo idea to get jiggy :sex: the night of a positive result.

I would suggest buying the minimum of 10 tests!!

Good luck

:D

Hi Pearl
I am also using OPKs from access diagnostics
What I do is each month I check the ovualtion calendar to see which days I am fertile and then start testing a couple of days earlier...
So basically i have found myself testing for around 5 days(which is how many opk's there are in a pack)

Hi Pearl,

I used Clearblue Digital sticks (they come in a pack of 7 - so they are best to use if you have a fairly regular cycle - test from about two days before your 'expected' ovulation).

They measure what is called lutenizing hormone. When you are about to ovulate, you experience a surge in this hormone, which is picked up by the test. You are expected to ovulate between 6 - 36 hours after (depending on when you tested) this positive result. The Clearblue digital tests give you a really clear result without having to squint at lines to see if they are as dark or darker than the test lines (which you have to do with the other tests). A circle appears if there is no surge and a smiley face appears if there is a surge.

The tests are expensive though - about £20 for one pack.

Good luck Pearl - I hope you get your BFP soon!

Oh thanks a lot for everyones replies.
I will visit that website and check it all out.

But a lil word of advise from you all, do you think using OPK is a good idea giving a higher chance of getting a BFP or is it just stressful !???

Personally, I really liked using OPKs and it kinda put my mind at rest about ovulating. I found temperature charting a bit more stressful - I kept obsessing about every little dip and rise in my chart.

If this is your first month trying, you could just 'go naturale' for the first round and see how you feel - or if you really want to get to know your body and when you ovulate, to just go for it and buy some cheapie sticks for 'Access Diagnostics.' Like I said, if you are willing to splash out (no pun intended :rofl:), Clearblue Digital is excellent.

I also found that using OPK was more reassuring in terms of ovulation. I also felt more relaxed actually. It is my first time using these kinds of tests. My hubby does not want to know about them but i waved my positive OPK at him anyway!!!:rofl: He soon wore a great big smile on his face!!!

I also found that using OPK was more reassuring in terms of ovulation. I also felt more relaxed actually. It is my first time using these kinds of tests. My hubby does not want to know about them but i waved my positive OPK at him anyway!!!:rofl: He soon wore a great big smile on his face!!!

lol aww!
I think its best not to tell hubby when its positive, i mean so that when they are positive it wont seem like sex only at that time, so it can just flow etc.

Btw Shumie, how long did it take for your OPK tests to arrive after ordering off that site ? (i just ordered some)

And when do i start peeing on the stick from ?? lol

lol aww!
I think its best not to tell hubby when its positive, i mean so that when they are positive it wont seem like sex only at that time, so it can just flow etc.

Btw Shumie, how long did it take for your OPK tests to arrive after ordering off that site ? (i just ordered some)

And when do i start peeing on the stick from ??
lol

can anyone answer the question in bold please

Hi

It depends on how long your cycle is. Mine is 28 days and I started testing at day 9 (was recommended day 10 but was impatient!)

Tasha

Hi

It depends on how long your cycle is. Mine is 28 days and I started testing at day 9 (was recommended day 10 but was impatient!)

Tasha

my cycle is 26 days so should i start mine 8 or 9th day ?

Yes that sounds about right. Ovulation normally occurs 14 days before your period starts and so for a 26 day cycle it may occur at day 12. So day 8-9 sounds right.

Good luck !

Sorry, Another question...It says my most fertile days are between 29th nov - 4th dec ... Could ovulation take place before that depending on how short a period was ?

Its not an exact science but ovulation occurs around 14 days before your period starts. SO for a 26 day cycle that would be day 12 and a 28 day cycle day 14.

Clearblue state that for a 26 day cycle you should start testing on day 9.

Or just make like rabbits for a week to be on the safe side.

Try clearblue . info for help

My tests arrived in two days!!! Really great service. The pack I got also stated that a 26 day cycle should test from day 9. I am on a 27 day cycle and it was recommended for me to test on day 10. However, I tested on day 9 and got an almost positive result and on day 10 got a positive for ovulation! I would test around day 9 but one day earlier wont hurt (lol!)

Hi Pearl! I just started using opk (bought a pack of 20) and have some coming in the mail. It recommend that I start the day after my period ended. I am doing so this cycle as I am not sure when I ovulate. Some women can ovulate right after or right before AF...so I am just trying to cover all the bases. :bodyb: Unfortunately, the DH found out I bought some (forgot after I told him I was) and got really disappointed and said that I was taking all the fun out of ttc. :cry: This made me feel really bad....so I feel really guilty using them now...oh well...I know deep down, he understands why I would like to know when I O. Please keep us posted on how the opks are working for you both: Pearl and Shumie. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->