Can you?!?!

Ashes

Reaction score
Ok, I have a quick question that I'm very curious about. Can you fall pregnant one your period? The BCP I'm on has its 3 weeks then off the pill for that one week and then it starts all over again SO I was wondering through that one week when im off the pill and suppose to start my period could I fall pregnant in that window!

Please I need lots of advice! THanks ladies!:hugs:

From what I know, it is possible but unlikely. Usually, a woman will not concieve from intercourse during her period because eggs only live 12-24 hours and therefore they have usually died before menstruation starts (10-16 days after ovulation for most women).

However, it is possible for women to ovulate very soon after their period, within the 2-5 day window in which sperm can survive. This means sex during the period can result in conception. Very occasionally women will ovulate before their period finsihes (especially with long periods). It is also apparently possible to mistake ovulation for a period, as women can bleed during ovulation, especially if they are stressed. Sex would then obviously be likely to result in conception.

I don't know whether these factors would apply in your specific case because you are using BCP's. I assume that the bleed you will be having is a withdrawal bleed, rather than a real period as such. I expect that you would be unlikely to ovulate during a withdrawal bleed because it is essentially a bleed caused by a sudden drop of hormones, which is not the ideal time for ovulation.

Having said that, these are only semi-educated guesses! I have never used BCP's so I am definitely not the person here who can give you the best advice.

I took Microgynon (which is the same 3 weeks on 1 week off method) for about 7 years and was told you are covered during your 7 day window. I don't know how it works but the doctor reassured me on a number of occasions and i didn't fall pregnant within those 7 years. xxxx

I believe it works because Microgynon and other combined pills prevent ovulation, and the bleed you experience is simply a withdrawal bleed that mimics menstruation by causing a dip in hormones that shed the lining of the womb. The hormones that cause egg development, lining development and egg release (FSH, Estrogen, LH) are therefore very unlikely to be present during your withdrawal bleed, which is in effect caused by the sudden dip in hormones in your body, much like you experience before a period. This makes it very unlikely that you will ovulate and concieve in the one-week withdrawal bleed.

Thanks ladies! I am on Mycrogynon so that helps me a lot! I was so nervous that if me and my hub did have sex during the 7 days off then I would fall pregnant. Thanks for clearing that up for me!!! This is the first time for me to be on this pill so I had no clue! Thanks for all of the helpful advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->