Canadian mat leave EI question

Mississippi03

Mom to 1
Reaction score
If I give birth on a Saturday, when does my EI claim start? Given they do it by week starting on sundays?

I just dont understand. Some people tell me it starts on the saturday and i lose the benefit from the sun-fri. Others tell me i should just back date it to start it on the previous sunday so i dont lose anything. Others say you lose it at the start but it makes it up on the end.

Im asking because im entitled to a pay raise on sept 30, 2016... But only if im still off on mat leave on that day. (Just take my word for it, its not a legal thing its a change in union agreement) And from my calculation, the only way ill be off is if i dont start my mat leave until the sunday oct 4, 2015 because it goes by 52 weeks not 365 days.

Can anyone shed any light on this EI bologne?

As far as I know, you have to take the full leave within 1 year of the date of birth of the baby. So if you bump it by a week, you may lose a week... I think it mostly depends on what your work week is. I've been told to try and avoid splitting a work week (mine are mon- fri)... my last ds, my c-section was on a thursday so I started leave the following week, for me it didn't matter since my OH was using some of my leave so we weren't in jeopardy of going over the 52 week period after the birth.

I've always found that they are really useful, that you can call and ask someone these questions.

Good luck!

BTW, with my union, I still get the increases whether or not I am on maternity

As far as I know, you have to take the full leave within 1 year of the date of birth of the baby. So if you bump it by a week, you may lose a week... I think it mostly depends on what your work week is. I've been told to try and avoid splitting a work week (mine are mon- fri)... my last ds, my c-section was on a thursday so I started leave the following week, for me it didn't matter since my OH was using some of my leave so we weren't in jeopardy of going over the 52 week period after the birth.

I've always found that they are really useful, that you can call and ask someone these questions.

Good luck!

BTW, with my union, I still get the increases whether or not I am on maternity

Im not trying to start it later.. Im due oct 4th and im starting mat leave oct 4th even if i havent had my babe!
Im worried about what happens if i have him tomorrow or saturday.. But im thinking id just likely lose my entitlement to it. Which blows. I work mon-fri too.. But the way the calender falls.. Ill only be off on sept 30th if i dont start it until sunday

And yes, im still entitled to it.. But we just went through an amalgamation where we gained a bunch of staff and are about o start bargaining for a new agreement.. Im worried that in the new agreement that pay step might not exist any longer.. So i would lose out on it... Unless im entitled to it still with the current agreement the day i start my mat leave, then they have to give it to me. Not sure if that mkes sense or not..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->