CANNOT believe he did this..

xpatchx

Wife, Mummy and pregnant!
Reaction score
Sorry long, but need to know what I can do tomorrow!

Got home from our hour logn trudge in the snow to our scan today, and OH had work at 2, I had work at 4. We live a normal 15 minute walk from our work place.

He left at twenty five to 2 and JUST ABOUT got down our hill, as we live at the top of a very steep one, without falling onto his backside.

I left, fifteen minutes after him, so at ten to two, and after 20 minutes of trying to get down my hill, a guy stopped his car and let me past and I went FLYING into his car, hit my head and back. He helped me up and offered to help me down the hill but I said it's okay. Got to work, which ended up taking me AN HOUR.

I was due to finish at 9.30 tonight (sainsburys late opening for xmas)

Me and OH went up to manager and told him what happened and that if it gets bad, I have to go, to stop the risk to the baby, and he said "Okay, if it snows, then you can go"

It got to about 5 and it started snowing. I spoke to my supervisor who kindly said "Well, you only live round the corner anyway don't ya Sarah"
And that was that.
In the end, the duty manager, as our manager had left, said I could go at half seven, and Ricki could leave early to walk me home and come back to work. OR he can go at 8 and make the hour up another day.

So in the end, his helpfulness was that I could leave an hour and a half earlier, rather than just leave when I got there when it was light like I wanted, and OH could help me up our hill if he hurried back.
I ended up being the LAST to leave for checkouts cause I had to do loads of stuff.

I'm worried if I phone in tomorrow if it's bad they'll just go "but you don't live very far away"

Cried my eyes out on the way home cause I kept slipping over.

Don't wanna do it again but I don't wanna have the day off and get laughed at =(

Who care's if you get laughed at by them?? At the end of the day snow is a dangerous thing and you and your LO's well-being are more important than your workplace being one staff member down!!! If it's really bad tomorrow I don't intend on going in.. I will be safe in the house.. In the warm.. With my blanket.. And you should do the same.. You earned it!!!! xxxx

I wouldn't go in!
Bugger them!
I have a huge fear of falling in the ice and losing my baby, theres no snow down here so I'm okay but f I were you I wouldn't even be leaving the house, atleast not without David holding onto me for dear life!!!

Thing is everyone was going "your baby is cushioned in fluid" but thats ALL well and good, but I lost my daughter 5 years ago by falling into a bedpost. She lost oxygen!!! Fluid didn't help then.

Exactly!!! So don't take any risks!!! I certainly won't be in this weather!! It's not worth it hun! It's like my manager said to me when you're carrying a life some things are more important than the work place.. And she is SOOOO right! xxx

Exactly!!! So don't take any risks!!! I certainly won't be in this weather!! It's not worth it hun! It's like my manager said to me when you're carrying a life some things are more important than the work place.. And she is SOOOO right! xxx

AGREED!
You are much better off staying home because if something does go wrong you'll feel so guilty!
You have to think about your baby, I have heard about people falling on ice and losing their baby, sometimes it wont happen and sometimes it will.
Theres still a chance!! "unlikely" is not bloody good enough of an excuse :)
Tell them you have to think about whats best for your baby and if they come up with some stupid comment tell them to eff off :D

Planning to. They just make me feel so bad for worrying, like I'm being over the top. but it's so scary =(

Well you are defo not being over the top!
If they say you are they are being bloody stupid!
If I were you I would have paniced the second I fell over the first time and just gone home from there lol :D

dont go in, ur baby might be cushioned by fluid but if you slip and your wates break then your baby wont be protcted, its not worth the risk, plus your joints are looser when pregnant so you could be at risk of more injury if you do slip x

Hun dont take the risk at all!!! people kept telling me.. dont be so silly theres fluid around baby to cushion her, then yesterday i found out im really low on fluid and need to really be monitored with scans etc... my point is.. u dont know how much fluid u have as i didnt know so u really do need to be careful, sod all them, look after yourself and your baby :) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Nooo.. don't go 2 work, not in the snow.x

Phone in, and say after your accident yesterday you have really hurt yourself (pulled a muscle in your back & neck or something) and have a day in bed.

Sorry long, but need to know what I can do tomorrow!

Got home from our hour logn trudge in the snow to our scan today, and OH had work at 2, I had work at 4. We live a normal 15 minute walk from our work place.

He left at twenty five to 2 and JUST ABOUT got down our hill, as we live at the top of a very steep one, without falling onto his backside.

I left, fifteen minutes after him, so at ten to two, and after 20 minutes of trying to get down my hill, a guy stopped his car and let me past and I went FLYING into his car, hit my head and back. He helped me up and offered to help me down the hill but I said it's okay. Got to work, which ended up taking me AN HOUR.

I was due to finish at 9.30 tonight (sainsburys late opening for xmas)

Me and OH went up to manager and told him what happened and that if it gets bad, I have to go, to stop the risk to the baby, and he said "Okay, if it snows, then you can go"

It got to about 5 and it started snowing. I spoke to my supervisor who kindly said "Well, you only live round the corner anyway don't ya Sarah"
And that was that.
In the end, the duty manager, as our manager had left, said I could go at half seven, and Ricki could leave early to walk me home and come back to work. OR he can go at 8 and make the hour up another day.

So in the end, his helpfulness was that I could leave an hour and a half earlier, rather than just leave when I got there when it was light like I wanted, and OH could help me up our hill if he hurried back.
I ended up being the LAST to leave for checkouts cause I had to do loads of stuff.

I'm worried if I phone in tomorrow if it's bad they'll just go "but you don't live very far away"

Cried my eyes out on the way home cause I kept slipping over.

Don't wanna do it again but I don't wanna have the day off and get laughed at =(

Would you rather NOT get laughed at and risk hurting your baby?
Just a little perspective for you hun...don't take the risk. x

Edit: Rafwife has a good idea...go with that.

I agree, I would just call in and say you aren't going in as it's too dangerous xx

My husband works at Tesco. If he has to travel for work he can claim back petrol money. I dont think he could claim for like day to day petrol but he claims for when they send him to further away stores because he is training to be a manager so he needs to go sometimes. Anyway my point is you could more than likely take a taxi to work and claim back the expense because you had to travel. You are pregnant, I am almost positive that would be allowed.

Definitely don't go in!! Your's and your baby's health is much more important than some tossers who think it's fine to pressure a pregnant lady into a dangerous walk just so they have an extra set of hands at work!! I agree with Rafwife, that might make the guy feel a bit guilty for saying it's not far too...Say you slipped over again on the way home or something and hurt yourself.

xxx

Speak to the manager who said you can go if it snows and tell him you were not allowed to go and when you did go LAST you fell a number of times in the snow and compounded with the earier fall you are sore and stiff and dont feel well enough to make it.

What can they do. They told you one thing did something else and then did not even deliver that !! You might also want to get him to explain to the rest of his management team that just because you live around the corner does not mean they negate there legal responsibility to your care. Your covered my employee insurance from when you leave your house to when you return from your employment ( as i understand it ) and they are not dispatching there duty of care to you!

PHONE IN and ask your line manager to re-assess your health and safety in the workplace immediately - on this record the risk of falling on ice travelling to and from work and the consequence being that you will not be able to work and possible harm to both you and baby - it is very well documented that pregnant women are at risk in any situation where balance is required as our centre of gravity is thrown out. Don't go in, self-cert and then go to dr's or midwife's when possible, there is NO WAY they would let you work after you hit your back and head!!! Don't go in, if anything happened to your baby you would never forgive yourself and if it's recorded as a risk on your health and safety form they would be VERY liable and won't want you to work.
Poor you, get your feet up lovely.
:hugs::hugs::hugs:

Once you inform your manager that you are pregnant they are legally obliged to take into consideration additional risks to your health and safety. Are you part of the Union? I would have a quiet chat with your rep about your supervisors attitude, otherwise speak to HR. My hubby's colleague has just slipped over and broken her arm, it's very slippy out there and we have to be extra careful.

Thank you all for your help.

I'm not like, upset at being laughed at as such, I'm upset that they'll all bitch behind my back that I didn't go in and I get a&c'd for it.

If they say anything I'll point out that a CO OP van is STUCK at the top of my road, being held up by a kerb, and some old man fell down the hill today and was carted off in an ambulance.

They're very two faced at work.

Quietly they'll be all "you should stay home, its not safe in your condition" then in front of someone I get "well you don't live THAT far away, people live further"

I get that we're pregnant, not disabled, but they need to realise we can't do all the things that we used to do!
I ended up not going in. I walked out the door and was like "eff this" and then realised I couldn't move off my patch and cried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->