car insurance?

randomrach

Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone knows anything about this but here goes....

I'm in the UK, took out car insurance online, paid a deposit and everything was fine. A week later they cancelled the policy as we had moved property right around the time the insurance had to be renewed and the car was not yet registered at the new address. At first they agreed to pay back half of the 2 month deposit, keeping half for the 2 weeks they insured the car. A week later they refused to pay back any and now another week later we 'owe them money that we are legally obligated to pay' (in their words) for car insurance that we don't have.

Does anyone know where I stand on this? I obviously haven't paid them any more money and cancelled any payments to them at the bank. I have insurance with another company now and of course had to pay another deposit on that one aswell. Any help is much appreciated :flower:

I'm pretty sure it's not right, I just didn't know who to contact - thank you :thumbup: I've emailed citizens advise aswell and hopefully I'll hear back soon.

Read the small print in your policy documents. Usually when they cancel your insurance they charge

I can't find anything about a £200 fee when they cancel.

I can't find anything about a £200 fee when they cancel.

If they cancelled the policy, what extra money are they demanding? I can understand losing the deposit, but don't see why you should owe them any more, unless there is a cancellation payment written in the small print.

I didn't know they could cancel your policy if the V5 was registered at a different address. We had been moved a few months before I changed mine and it didn't cause any issues with changing my insurance (or renewing it) at my new address.

What insurance company are you dealing with?

We paid a £105 deposit and now we apparently owe them another £85. It's 'a choice insurance' and now I've researched more into the company it seems it's part of premium choice insurance which has an awful reputation and a choice has only been registered since last year (I'm not surprised with the rep premium choice has.) There are countless complaints online about them cancelling policies, demanding more money and then involving debt collectors when they don't get it. I can't find anything about a cancellation fee except the mention that if the customer cancels the policy after 14 days there will be a fee, which is fair enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->